Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Critique on my Elsa sculpt

Hello everyone, I decided I have to practice making faces and doing likness starting out with just a sphere in ZBrush. So, I started with making Elsa, but something seems off, could you please point out what to change and tweak to make her look more like herself?

This is what I got so far:

4b3701e931.jpg

Replies

• blackdragonstory
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blackdragonstory polycounter lvl 9
    Imo,something is off with her chin/jaw.
    Take a look at this model here : http://kai-n.deviantart.com/art/Elsa-3D-438847622
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    BlackDragonStory's reference has got the right general idea. The Frozen characters have a very cheek, bottom face heavy bulbousness to them. It's subtle, but if you draw the basic shapes over the faces, you can see the shape construction.

MrCreator, stop sculpting. Drop the reference image in photoshop. Good first shot, but we should pull this back to a lower sculpt resolution.

Draw a rough shape of the eye. Now measure, with that shape, how many "eyes" apart the eyes are.

Then measure how many "eyes" below the eyes the mouth and nose are. So on and so forth for other facial landmarks.

Proportions are about the relationship between forms, shapes, etc, and not a hard set distance of meters. This is why people mention people's heights in art in terms of "heads" or how many "heads" wide someone is at shoulder width. Taking the time to measure these out based on eye width and height will allow you a relative, but pretty solid, unit of measurement to place the facial elements.

Also, when you're blocking in proportions, don't dip into a high resolution. Stay low, it's easier to adjust and easier to fix.

The shape of your eyes are off at the bottom eyelid. It's curving way too soon, turning into cat eyes. There needs to be a flatter plane before it curves up to the corner. Your top double eyelids are also not terminating where they are in the reference: at the outer corner of the eye.

Hair needs more volume in the front. Google "pompadour" hair style, see how much front mass they emphasize with that particular hair cut.

Do you have a 3/4s view? You seem to be trying to replicate the 3/4 look of the reference one to one.

Decent start, but we're going to do a lot of pull back before diving into higher details. It'll make your sclpting time easier once the proportions are fixed, etc.

Also, MrCreator, you've made a LOT of sculpt posts recently. I'm really hoping that you bring this one to completion. Get it retoplogized, textured, rendered in a game engine so you have something completed. I really encourage you to take time to bring this to completion. It's the challenging bit about game art: it's one thing to get something decent looking, another thing to get it useable in a game engine in some way. Try to get over that hump, and get in in-game!
  • MrCreator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the link blackdragon! :)

Oh, hello JadeEyePanda, I didnt recognize you at first because you changed your profile picture haha...

I will put the image in photoshop and do what you told me to, that seems like a very good way to get the proportions right, practice and progress.
    I started this using Zspheres to get eyes, nose, chin and neck on spot (default face) and then I went on with dynamesh after getting a better shape of her head and etc. so I dont have a low res. Should I start over?

Yes, im sorry I post a lot of my sculpts, I finish a lot of them but I just forget to post the end result, stuff I post is only about half of the things I actually sculpt. I finish 95% of my sculpts so I dont want to it to look like I start something and dont finish it often! :)
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Do you just make sculpts, or do you get them into a game engine?
  • MrCreator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JadeEyePanda - I do a lot of stuff that is game engine ready because I work on two indie projects but everything I post here is for fun and practice.

Dustinbrown - thanks, I will check that out!
  • MrCreator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I restarted the sculpt, I figured that would be the best.. I got more refs, reviewed them in PS, draw over it (took eye for scale, as you proposed JadeEye) and got back to sculpt.
    This is what I got so far, I dont know if I should go and do Dynamesh (since im used to work in it) or whats my next step with subdivisions..

943b5d791b.jpg
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Feel free to do Dynamesh. Just now it's good practice you retopologize afterwards.

Your eye shape is still off. Too sharpened at the corner, feels more like cat eyes.
  • MrCreator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Back to it after a day - two. Head is on lower res now because I dynameshed the body to her. Put on the hair and modified it a bit. Few WIPs:

b08ff85152.jpg
    be82a55558.jpg
    b95769abb4.jpg
  • Leon_Raven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Leon_Raven polycounter lvl 9
    The cheeks are WAY to big! They shouldn't come OVER the mouth, when the mesh is looked from the sideview!
    Try to keep a neutral espression on the face. Do you know how to use the "Seethrough" option in zBrush? It might help you quite a lot! :)
  • Edrice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Edrice polycounter lvl 7
    You should take your time and study your ref. Maybe open only one at a time and compare that one. Take a break from your project for a day or two if you so you give yourself time to forget it and have fresh eyes to see your errors.

MwSYvlj.jpg
  • MrCreator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello people, im going back to all my works and finishing them up, I`ve been starting a lot of threads here and havent been finishing them and thats not a good practice.. So here it is, another update on this..

1hoy7p.jpg
    5wc802.jpg
  • peteed1985
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rather than a cheeky smirk I get the impressions of evil smirk from your face thought i'm a noob at 3d and can't work out why it gives me that impression but it just does...