Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

SVD Dragunov - First Bake - Excited :)

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Florent_Vilbert polycounter lvl 4
Sniper Rifle – SVD Dragunov

First real-time asset, coming from a 3D generalist job it took me a while put my hands on a really real-time project from start to finish.

Yep I have quit my job to work in the video games industry over the past few months (yeah !) so I started to learn the basics of Normal Map Baking, PBR texturing, vertex normal and some other pleasures…:)

Coming from Max I wanted to learn first the basics of Maya to do this gun entirely with maya and so be able to model on a different software which is now the case and a bit faster what’s more.

Now at the texturing process I felt like it was time to show a bit of what I’ve done with the modeling and the baking.

Please Don’t be nice with me ‘cauze it’s my first asset aside from my « box baking tutorial » :)
Many thanks to Najah Benothman (http://nbenoth.com/) for the help and support he provided me over the difficulties and software weirdiness I’ve came across !

Thanks for visiting !

1421056187-rendus-dragunov-high-1.jpg
1421056182-rendus-dragunov-high-2.jpg
1421056182-rendus-dragunov-high-3.jpg
1421056183-rendus-dragunov-high-4.jpg
1421056180-rendus-dragunov-high-5.jpg
1421056184-rendus-dragunov-low-wireframe.jpg
1421056184-rendus-dragunov-vs-normal.jpg
1421056189-rendus-dragunov-vs-normal-0.jpg
1421056489-rendus-dragunov-vs-normal-1.jpg
1421056195-rendus-dragunov-vs-normal-2.jpg
1421056195-rendus-dragunov-vs-normal-3.jpg

Replies

• Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Looks good. One crit though; I wouldn't model in the middle screw on the PSO's elevation and windage adjusters in the lowpoly; the normal map should take care of that.
  • Florent_Vilbert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Bek ! You're right I could have saved some tris with that. As my goal was to go around 15000 tris and I succeeded I hadn't payed attention to this and I went generous by the end of the modeling process !
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    I feel like you're missing edge loops or something on your highpoly. Parts are really way too soft, like the ridge parts on the receiver cover, and the scope also.
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Yeah that's cool. Considerations like that depend on what your end use of the asset is too. I'd say spend the geo elsewhere (like adding in the diode illumination switch on the PSO, it appears to be missing) because:
    1. It's a very small area
    2. You can't see it from first person view
    3. Adds a (tiny) amount of extra work to UV's etc
    Only bring this up because imo it's a good thing to think about, regardless of any set tri limit — it's more important to use geometry efficiently than to be under some arbitrary number. But on the other hand apparently geometry is not the biggest thing to optimise these days (UV space and material/shader complexity being more important) anyway so meh.

Looking forward to seeing your textures; love the SVD.
    Parts are really way too soft, like the ridge parts on the receiver cover, and the scope also.
    Yeah that's a good point. Check this reference here, the ridges are much more prominent.
  • Florent_Vilbert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah you're right, the ridges seems a lot more proheminent with this image/lighting ! I'll try to fix that ! It's good to hear some different opinions on something that I look every day I haven't noticed such details in font of me =)
    Thx
  • Florent_Vilbert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Starting off the texturing process with the wood, biggest part I think !

I'm quite happy with what I've came up with for now, just albedo map for now.

Preview a bit too glossy and holes and details maybe a bit too deep. I'll fix that and add some scratches and desaturation in the scratches. maybe I'll jump into ddo for that...

1421147790-rendus-dragunov-texture-wood.jpg

1421147790-rendus-dragunov-texture-wood-2.jpg
  • Ingsoc75
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ingsoc75 polycounter lvl 5
    So can you give a quick summary of your workflow?
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    Here's a tip on how to do the inside of the wooden butt (it's layered wood)

9c608cdad0.jpg
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Preview a bit too glossy and holes and details maybe a bit too deep.
    Actually on closer inspection the barrel should pass through and block the lower set of holes on the wooden foregrip. Probably too late to change now though.
  • Florent_Vilbert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek wrote: »
    Actually on closer inspection the barrel should pass through and block the lower set of holes on the wooden foregrip. Probably too late to change now though.

Yep ! It was something I wondered during modeling but totally forgot. I will maybe add a big cylinder it won't be long !

For now I'm struggling with the post of "ghaztehschmexeh" about the inner wood texturing because even if that's more accurate in the realistic way I don't find the result pleasant.

Besides I'm having some streched texture so I might go for the texture I made this morning If I can't solve this issue !
  • tar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tar polycounter lvl 8
    Hey, about the low poly, I would use less geo for the back grip and the cheek rest and more for the top of the receiver and front grip especially if you're aiming for a model optimized for fps view.
  • Florent_Vilbert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tar wrote: »
    Hey, about the low poly, I would use less geo for the back grip and the cheek rest and more for the top of the receiver and front grip especially if you're aiming for a model optimized for fps view.

Hey absolutely right about the geo used for the handgrip, this is a bit high compared to the rest of the gun. For the receiver though I guess it's ok. If I had time I would simplify the handgrip a bit. as It's my first real time asset I was so impatient to go for the next part : texturing, that I surely went a bit generous by the end of the modeling process... even If I respected my polybudget of 15 000 Tris for Gun + scope. I guess It gaves me signal that I could go for the next step without further observation and optimization.

Once All the textures are done and ready to folio I will maybe just do this improvement.
    :)
  • Florent_Vilbert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ingsoc75 wrote: »
    So can you give a quick summary of your workflow?

I modelled high poly and low poly in - Maya all parts except for the leathered cushion and the handgrip. I used zbrush for scuplting the cushion (adding leather scratches and folds to make it look like a bit old and devastated by the years). For the handgrip I wanted to try the Zremesher. Now I can see I shoudn't have been satisfied with the topo It gaves me and tweak it to optimize it a bit more.

Bake with Xnormal

Adding further details in the normal with Ndo like, bolts, laser marks, screw and so on

Texturing with photoshop/Ndo and photographs of 2 different woods : One clean with the tone and patterns I like and other with lots of degradation and scratches and thermites holes. I've taken some littles details and mix things to get that.

I'm currently refining this texture and adding a different one on the inner part of the handgrip. (like layers of woods been squeezed together)

Then I will go for the texture of the leathered cushion. And after that I guess I will jump to ddo for the rest.

Renders in marmoset. I tried 3DO but it gaves me weird issues, it feels like it interprates my normals like Flip in the Y...
  • Florent_Vilbert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Refining the wood texture for the inner part , I made the layered woods not as visible as it should in reality, or on the above and down side because I don't like that type of look. So It's a compromise between what looks nice to me and my folio and the reality.

Started the diffuse texture for the leathered old cushion.It misses some details to make it older. I will try to use dDo for that.

Now I'm ok with texturing in photshop and I will make my color map to go into dDO for a first launch =)

1421310046-rendus-dragunov-texture-wood-leather.jpg

1421310047-rendus-dragunov-texture-wood-leather-2.jpg
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    To be honest I think it's better if you decide to go completely plywood or not. Having a mix doesn't make much sense and doesn't look that great either imo. And it's not completely unrealistic that a custom wooden stock could be made.
  • Rumkugel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rumkugel polycounter lvl 14
    Stuff breaks and gets replaced.

Altough iirc all standart issue Stocks on the old SVD are made from Plywood.
    Custom Stocks arent that common in the Russian Military..
    Context thing..
  • Kaine123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kaine123 polycounter lvl 10
    I agree that you really should go full plywood laminate on this.
  • Florent_Vilbert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Back from work, Here is the textures I came up with. There is some errors like visible seams and things I will improve but that's a honest first try for ddo and for my first asset !

(Some Textures, colors are not 100% real life accurate I mean that I'm happy with the choices I made for texturing ! even if it's not the realistic way !)

1421799673-rendus-dragunov.jpg

1421799726-rendus-dragunov-2.jpg

1421799667-rendus-dragunov-3.jpg

1421799657-rendus-dragunov-4.jpg

1421799652-rendus-dragunov-5.jpg

1421799666-rendus-dragunov-6.jpg

1421799673-rendus-dragunov-7.jpg