Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Daew's Portfolio building and Other things

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Daew polycounter lvl 9
Happy new years polycount!

So I've recently graduated from uni and I think its about time I made a portfolio. (most of my uni work does not relate to character art :( )
I've been blessed with amazing parents who are willing to support me so I'm not going to waste that time.

For my first project, I want to try an design/make a female character that belongs to to world of Blizzard's Overwatch. And also learn PBR.

This was my initial concept.

tumblr_nhlr0zG2Pg1u4xoxco1_r1_1280.jpg

and some development.
Tried to figure out why my concept didn’t fit the universe. I think it’s two things. Their characters have “culture” and parts of my design were not identifiable to real world.

tumblr_nhsogyEE2Q1u4xoxco1_1280.jpg

Replies

• Daew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daew polycounter lvl 9
    ah forgot my ref for those not familiar with ovewatch

lineup-standard.3DDlu.jpg
  • weiswayne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    weiswayne polycounter lvl 10
    while the initial concept looks quite decent, I think it lacks the "Out of the world" exaggeration that some of the characters have in Overwatch. Goodluck!
  • Jarran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jarran polycounter lvl 11
    i agree with weiswayne, it looks awesome but maybe just exaggerate it a little further. make the colours brighter, the armour pieces bigger etc. maybe think of the personality she'd have and try work that in as much as possible as Blizz have done with their characters
  • Daew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daew polycounter lvl 9
    I totally agree, The design is pretty safe and also I'm adding things without reason. Thanks for the feedback :) and i'll try to fix it.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Which country is she from?
  • Daew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daew polycounter lvl 9
    Yeaahh, The original story was that she was a singer who joined overwatch just for the publicity. Maybe with the kpop vibe... but then somewhere along the way I added a Victorian hat and liked it so she got completely changed.

So yep. It's quite hectic and I need to pick a country and stick with it.
  • Daew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daew polycounter lvl 9
    tumblr_nhwtb9dqfy1u4xoxco1_1280.jpg

Rounnndd 3!…man concepting is so hard…some of these are just casual clothing but I’m just trying to get the idea out of my head. Trying to focus on using less unecessary detail

daew_Owfanart_concept_004.jpg

I'm actually bouncing three ideas.
    1. Character who joins Overwatch for the publicity
    2. Character from the slums who builds a hwacha
    3. Victorian era (looking) character.

I really want to incorporate the hwacha somehow but I still need to develop more.

And started the character model because, well, I want to be a character artist.
  • Daew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daew polycounter lvl 9
    Well still working on getting my idea down but as the thread name suggests. I've been trying to learn traditional sculpting. It's so different from digital. First off there is no symmetry and when I try flatten a side I have to push the other side flattening two sides.
    My next attempt will have wire even if I have no idea what I'm doing :D.

tumblr_ni09zihhWr1u4xoxco1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_ni09zihhWr1u4xoxco2_1280.jpg
  • Daew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daew polycounter lvl 9
    Didn't want to get stuck concepting and not have a model. Still needs polish, characterization and her 3/4 view looks a bit iffy

daew_Owfanart_005.jpg