Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

victorian ranch environment I've been working on.

AndyLittleton
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
AndyLittleton polycounter lvl 10
Hi

I've been working on a victorian ranch environment for my texture and lighting class.
35k tris. Mostly done in the spirit of low poly in order to focus more on the texture and lighting.

Here's the current state of it rendered in unreal engine 3.

Any advice and feedback would be appreciated.

victorian_house_01.jpg
victorian_house_02.jpg
victorian_house_03.jpg
victorian_house_04.jpg
victorian_house_05.jpg
victorian_house_06.jpg
victorian_house_07.jpg
victorian_house_08.jpg
victorian_house_10.jpg
victorian_house_wireframe1.jpg
victorian_house_wireframe2.jpg

Some crappy photoshop concepts that I created to test out the patterns, lighting, and objects to see if they work together.
victorian_house_concept.jpg
victorian_house_concept2.jpg

Replies

• WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the assets look good but you definitely need to get that lighting under control. It's way too saturated and way too contrasty. It distracts from what I think is a pretty cool scene underneath it all.
  • Neoekamp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neoekamp polycounter lvl 5
    Looks good so far! But, maybe this is just me personally, but I'm not liking the over-blaring redness on everything. Like, too red to be coming from the candles or fire, and the wallpaper shouldn't reflecting that much off other objects. Moonlight's pretty nice tho!
  • AndyLittleton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AndyLittleton polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks for those feedback. After hearing your comments about the lighting being too red and harsh. I realized I went a bit over board with the saturation.

I've updated the original images on this thread and tone back the overly saturated red lighting.

Now I'm wondering if my scene is too dark or has too much contrast. I'll have to work more with the indirect lighting perhaps to allow more light fill in the dark areas.
  • SirSpangles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SirSpangles polycounter lvl 4
    Looks good man, looks like you stuck to the concept really closely. The only critique I have for you is the blue light is a little jarring, I just have a hard time believing that the moon light would be that harsh. Most natural light diffuses through each surface in passing, i.e. the blue would be really intense on direct contact surfaces like windows, metal siding etc. but would then get blown out and revert back to bounce light, which is opaque and more of a washed out light.