Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Project Black Betty

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
HecM polycounter lvl 9
Hi everyone,

Happy new year! I kinda wish I had posted this kinda earlier, but the holidays and this project kept me very busy... never too late I guess. I still have some ways to go on finishing many of the pieces and parts of this project so I'll just share.

This is Betty, Black Betty. She is my first original mini and my first venture in the realm of serious partnerships and crowdfunding. You can find out lots more at the project page, which has only 34 hours left to go. It's already funded at 200% of its original goal, but more last minute support never hurts.

You can find the project's indiegogo here:
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/painting-buddha-shares-black-betty/x/2449042#home

I'll focus on sharing the images and art assets here for C&Cs so here we go!

Starting with the WIP concept art which will become an art print that we'll include with the goodies:

latestconcept_monkeyblanks_small_by_hecm-d8awvg6.jpg

One of the first test keyshots of her without her monkeys, they were stretch goals that we eventually reached:

Betty_large_for_Indiegogo.jpg

This is the concept art for her monkeys, which we eventually unlocked:

munkeesdesign_05_by_hecm-d8cgtqq.jpg

This the first WIP shot of Betty and Bam, the first of the monkeys we unlocked:

bettybam_01_by_hecm-d8awvif.jpg

This is a more recent WIP of her with both her monkeys, Bam and Alam:

bettybamalam_01_labeled_by_hecm-d8cgkbe.jpg

We also made a Xmas card for our backers with the help from my friend, comic book artist Rene Cordova. His pencils and my colors:

bettyxmascard_650px_by_hecm-d8cgusx.jpg

I've been working on this girl for a while now, pushing myself... not sure if I'm still dreaming of her or if they're becoming nightmares, but I'm also still aiming to make a game art version of her with textures and the works after the print work is done, here's some shots of the base model:

spacepirategirl_base_wip09_by_hecm-d8cgvx5.jpg

I want to give our backers the best mini for painting possible. If you guys have crits, comments or ideas that might help improve this project let me know. :)

Replies

• ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Awesome model... Seriously.

But the name strikes me as weird... Possibly insensitive depending how you think about it. Since black Betty is a pretty famous African American hymn about the guns or whip used by the people overseeing them in the fields... And you turned it into a sexy white woman being followed around by... a monkey.

I'm sure at not intentional at all, but it was the first thing that came to mind.
  • KazeoHin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KazeoHin polycounter lvl 8
    ysalex wrote: »

But the name strikes me as weird... Possibly insensitive depending how you think about it. Since black Betty is a pretty famous African American hymn about the guns or whip used by the people overseeing them in the fields... And you turned it into a sexy white woman being followed around by... a monkey.

I'm sure at not intentional at all, but it was the first thing that came to mind.

Yeah, I picked up on this right away.... though I will say that I can see it was entirely unintended.... though you maaaay want to expect a bit of heat for insensitivity.
  • Bonkahe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bonkahe polycounter lvl 12
    ysalex wrote: »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nU1VfYYKMDk

mmmmmeh I think it looks awesome but w/e.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Yeah the way I understand it is that song is based on the African American hymn, and the"bam-bam" is the sound of the gun/whip.

I'm not saying people will be offended, just something to consider. Turning an African American hymn/marching song into a sexy white girl leading around a monkey just seemed like a bad mashup to me.
  • Docm30
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Docm30 polycounter lvl 10
    The song is pretty widely thought to have originated in England, probably as an army marching song.
  • Dethling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dethling polycounter lvl 11
    Back to art. :)

Very nice work, can't wait to see the textured version of it. :)
  • HecM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HecM polycounter lvl 9
    Long time no see. Thanks to everyone that commented and offered their thoughts last time when I first posted this. So Betty was completed recently. My partners and I have received really good feedback so far from the backers and the figure is now being painted by award winning master Ben Komets. I'll shut up now and post some images:

Final 2D Keyart
    BettyBamAlam_2DGraphic.jpg

Final Sculpt in Keyshot
    BettyOwnagedShot_01.jpg

Master print by Ownage
    IMG_0635.jpg

Detail Shots
    BettyAltConfig.jpg

BettyOriginalConfig.jpg

Mini-Comic created for the backers by me

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8207549/BettyComic.pdf

Preview of comic
    BettyComicPreview.jpg

Final Unpainted Kit
    [IMGhttps://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8207549/Betty/BettyKit.jpg[/IMG]

45mm Print by Monger Designs on the Solus Printer, more info here: http://www.junction3d.com/

2015-07-15-17.50.35%20ZS%20PMax.jpg

Soon I'll have some pics of her painted. Hope you like the update. :)

-Hec