Home General Discussion

A great non custom computer desktop?

Travis C
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Travis C polycounter lvl 8
Well it happened. My computer at home broke down, not worth to fix it, and now I'm looking for a new one mainly for working with 3d stuff asap

I'm a complete newbie when it comes to hardware specs and stuff, so I won't be building a custom computer, nor do I have the time to research all the do's and don'ts of building one. Seems like everyone here is going the custom built route, so I hope I'm not screwed by missing out.

I went to my local computer store guy recommended this. but after some research, it seems sub par after reading reviews.

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/desktops/lenovo/a-series/a740/

Are there anything out there that works just as good as a custom built, or at least, nearly as good? If so, can you give me a direct link? I think I might just buy it online.

and my budget is reasonably big for this. I'm looking for the best possible pre built one.

Replies

• Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    I don't have the time any more to build my own PCs, so the last 6 years I've been buying Dell machines, which I found pretty reliable. However it doesn't take much skill to replace or upgrade a hard-drive or a video card. Because of this I wouldn't recommend a all in one machine. You'll get much more out of your purchase if you can exchange at least a few parts yourself.
  • Travis C
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Is this for working in game engines or working mostly non-realtime work? If it's for working with game engines, you can get a prebuilt gaming PC cheaper and with parts closer to what you need with sites like ibuypower.com A quadro or workstation GPU is not going to help with game engines.
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    A few quick things. Internet is shitty on train so I can't open all those links.

1. If possible, buy a computer from the small business section of big companies. If you buy a home computer, you're going to end up with a ton of pre-installed crap to clean up when you first get the computer.
    2. Like ZacD said, you should go for a regular Nvidia Geforce card unless you're doing AutoCAD work. With Maya's DX11 viewport, there's really no point in getting a quadro card unless you know you need one.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Also what is your budget? What software are you mostly using? How long do you want it to last? Will you be looking to upgrade anything in the future (ram, gpu, and storage are easy upgrades). How much storage do you need?
  • Chimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    I always go for a top of the line Mac and I am always extremely pleased. Currently have an iMac with stupidly fast (750mb read write) terrabyte SSD, stupidly clear display, GTX780 4GB custom tuned model, 32GB ram. handles most games on ultra at 60. Handles unity 5 and unreal 4 absolutely fine. obviously installed windows for game dev.

I primarily like the build quality and the stunning display (pixels to the glass baby), and I need to use OSX software for some aspects of my job. I also get a discount on Apple hardware.

BUT obviously its an expensive option, and I'm sure everyone is going to jump to tell you that so beside that... our technical director gets his PC machines built at scan.co.uk, don't know where you're based but look for a decent local build shop if you don't want to build yourself. He spent the same as me and got twice the perfomance (but no display).
  • Travis C
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks guys appreciate the help
    ZacD wrote: »
    Also what is your budget? What software are you mostly using? How long do you want it to lastto upgrade anything in the future (ram, gpu, and storage are easy upgrades). How much storage do you need?

as for budget, under 5000 usd. but it really depends. ideally i want to spend under 2,500, but i can spend more if it's going to be worth it. as for softwares, maya, zbrush, UE4 will be the main ones, so yes will be focusing on the real-time side. im not sure how long it will last, but if i spent alot, i expect it to last for many years at least. upgrading option would be good.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I'd try to get at least a 6 core Intel processor like the 5820k, 16 gigs of ram, and a 980 gtx. Gaming PC builder sites would be perfect for that, should easily be less than $2,000.
  • Travis C
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD wrote: »
    I'd try to get at least a 6 core Intel processor like the 5820k, 16 gigs of ram, and a 980 gtx. Gaming PC builder sites would be perfect for that, should easily be less than $2,000.

cool, ill check it out. there any particular model with a direct link you would recommend by anychance?

and i should just use the ibuypower.com site (it's considered a gaming "builder site", correct?)
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    Travis C wrote: »
    i should just use the ibuypower.com site (it's considered a gaming "builder site", correct?)

I'd recommend it. I stopped by their shop one time, way back, to pick up a pc. Basically a room full of asian guys, just outside of Los Angeles. They threw in some extra stuff. Very friendly.

I suppose the other thing you can do is pick up a computer with a laptop form factor. Its probably the most simple way to go about getting a new PC. Ideally though, a decent, easily fixed, desktop is the best way to go.

Def make sure you pick up an intel cpu, i7 preferably.
  • Flight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flight polycounter lvl 10
    I don't know which American sites go too, but at least in Europe and Sweden there are plenty large reliable stores with good support, that will put together 'their own' stock computer for you, with possibility for various custom gear, without any special brands attached to it. Usually cheaper, faster and with vastly better customer support (physical store is a plus).
  • Travis C
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flight wrote: »
    I don't know which American sites go too, bSweden there are plenty large reliable stores with good support, that will put together 'their own' stock computer for you, with possibility for various custom gear, without any special brands attached to it. Usually cheaper, faster and with vastly better customer support (physical store is a plus).

well lucky you. im in hong kong at the moment, and i cant find any good customer store support to do that. at best they recommended me to get something sub par.
    honestly id rather just pay someone to figure out the tech hardware side and put it together for me.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    It's actually not too surprising that the store you went to recommended you such a "all in one" hybrid - understandably this form factor is less intimidating than regular tower PCs for a lot of people who are not very comfortable with tech.

Your best bet for a short term solution is probably to shop around for a entry level to medium range pre-built gaming PC, and maybe simply add more ram to it. If a PC can run the latest CoD, then it can run Marmoset Toolbag and Zbrush.

However if you want the machine to last for many years you won't have much choice, you'll indeed have to start talking to an IT professional about which reliable components to buy for a custom built. ("Gamers" tend to obsess over using the latest flashy hardware, like using some stupidly over-designed cooling systems and other bells and whistles, which can result in unstable machines).

To give you an idea, last time I did a full workstation change was around 7 years ago, and I followed the recommendations of the IT guy from work back then regarding which parts to buy. He recommended a very well designed case, and a solid motherboard for the time ; and he also put together the machine. Fast forward 7 years later, I am still using the same case (the specs will never change !), motherboard and i7 CPU. Everything else has been upgraded over the years and it is an extremely solid workstation.

I hope this helps. Good luck !
  • Travis C
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    what do you guys think about this one? though it's not a 6 core intel processor 5820k. im just tempted to get it since i dont have to wait for shipping.. http://h20386.www2.hp.com/HongKongStore/Product.aspx?pdetail=P333393
  • Travis C
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alright, after some considerations, i'm thinking of now getting a laptop instead since i'll be moving to the US soon, and possibly be doing a bunch of moving around. Moving around a big desktop seems like too much of a pain.

looking at your guys suggestions, i found a laptop with similar specs posted earlier in this thread.

the asus g751;
    http://hothardware.com/Reviews/Asus-G751-Buy-This-Laptop-/

Processor: Intel Core i7-4710HQ (2.5GHz Base, 3.5GHz Turbo)
    Memory: 24GB DDR3-1600
    Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 980M
    Storage: 256GB PCIe SSD + 1TB HDD
    Optical: Slot-Load Blu-ray Player/DVD Writer
    Display 17.3" 1920x1080
    Operating System: Windows 8.1 64-bit
    Connectivity: Gigabit LAN, 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Dual Band
    Dimensions & Weight: 16.4 x 12.5 x 1.7 inches (Width x Height x Depth); 8.4lbs with battery

Seems heavy, but that's fine with me. it seems to match most of the suggested specs. what do you guys think? yay or nay?
  • iadagraca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iadagraca polycounter lvl 5
    There's plenty of places to go to get custom built pc's

like ibuypower.com is one i used to browse a lot before I decided to just build it myself.

EDIT: Wow that ASUS is pretty legit, looks like a model I saw in best buy just a lot better spec wise.

It's a big laptop though but I think it'd be well worth it.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    8.4 pounds, man that is a big ass laptop, the 15" Macbook Pro is 4.6 lbs for reference. Its really more of a only-slightly-portable desktop with a built in display at that point, not something you'll actually want to take with you on a day to day basis or even for travel, so if those are things you look for in a laptop you may want to reconsider.

If you're using it for art work, you'll probably hook it up to large secondary monitor, so that doesn't really save you much there.

You can get smaller form factor workstation pc if you're worried about moving a few times, and it should cost quite a bit less than this laptop which is sort of worst-of-both worlds. Yeah its fast, but its a huge and heavy but also expensive and will be loud and hot because it has a beefcake cpu and gpu packed in a laptop form factor, with battery life so short that you'll be tethered to an outlet when working anyway.