Home General Discussion

2014 is almost over, how did you improve?

JordanN
interpolator
Offline / Send Message
JordanN interpolator
Remember January 2014? What were your skills like back then? Did you make any promises to yourself or Polycount that you hoped on delivering?

My story is, starting in Jan 2014, my modeling skills were very subpar. While I understood topology, I was very very conservative with my polygons. I had no idea how to unwrap and I had no idea of physically based rendering. I struggled a lot when it came to baking normal maps, and I wasn't use to using a game engine.

Some of my early work.
i5dvsXg48oFAV.png
iSEChAOr6y3Dt.png
i9r7qtLl3szOo.png

I was concerned with building a portfolio for college. I came back to Polycount many many times, asking for help. I was viewed as stubborn when receiving feedback, but I believe I was like that for a good reason. Because I didn't want to get rejected like last time.

Around this time, a savior happened and Unreal Engine 4 was released to the public. I began learning it. I had a lot of trouble because I was previously doing everything and anything in 3DS Max. The transition was rough but I soon got an idea of what I needed to do.

ij8Rq1wNOlNz6.jpg

My portfolio worked and I was accepted into college. Starting in September, I was able to sit down with teachers to help me get better modeling and texturing. I also started learning how to sculpt in Mudbox.

One thing happened though. While the program taught modeling and the like, it's actually geared towards high end CG like film VFX. I did something secretly, and at the same time I was making models for CG, I also took them and remodeled them for games. This required a lot more work than usual.

3DS Max
ibvCHnXZzV9FAo.png

Unreal Engine 4
ixczGqmfiysqX.jpg

Mudbox
iblMtOH9mIKDyO.png

Now in December, I've been working on my first game environment. I'm still in the process of finishing it.
i6y8KwwWq3WnG.jpg
ibbKRGvnHCgMbh.png

Replies

• SuperFranky
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    Unfortunately I lost all my last year's work recently, because my HDD died. But let's say I started with zero in January and here's my latest work:

YuIM3Y9.png
    67hSnKu.png
    atAxFKF.jpg
    KtArHHe.png
    zD8VgSf.png

more here http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=138478

I'm still working on it and it will be finished soon, I promise :)
  • JordanN
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    One more thing. I also want to design my own AAA video game. Throughout the year, I've been putting in my own research towards a game idea. I drew up a ton of concept art, created some early scripts, and started envisioning some prototype game designs.

The problem is, I have no idea when or how I can pull it off. Making games require a lot of money. Maybe I should try approaching a Publisher. Go to the bank and request a loan. Or request help from the Canadian government.

It's a game I have a lot of passion for, and want to see it be made some day.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i did some shit... like these features (programming):
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLlLASqBl0g[/ame]

art wise, i guess i've slowed down a bit, i've gone from this ~ten months ago:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooKYs9lP36w[/ame]

to this (current wip)
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4TTlmnlfjs[/ame]
  • CDeniz
    Offline / Send Message
    CDeniz polygon
    I gained a ton of experience in the technical side of computer graphics with the side projects and school projects ive been working on.

* Created a modular map generating script for Unity engine (releasing 2015)
    * Created a painting app that automates many things for texture artists (releasing 2015)
    * Built my own raytracer
    * Built my own low level webGL engine and implemented the following (got 100/100 and best in my computer graphics class, woot woot!)
    SSAO
    SSR
    Shadow mapping
    Deferred shading
    Support for spec, normal, diffuse, and glow maps
    Deferred decals
    Environment mapping (cube maps)
    Some nice "fake" volumetric lighting

Super excited for 2015, started playing with ue4 and learning how to code for it. Im also taking two more computer graphics courses "Advanced Topics in 3D Computer Graphics" and "Simulation and Animation for Computer Games" so that might be fun, depending on how deep my prof goes into the math.