Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Cyborg Assault SWAT Woman

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
MrHobo polycounter lvl 13

UPDATE!:

So I'm doing a new thing because thats what you do. Keep doing new things and put them in your portfolio, until you get good.

So a while ago I saw this awesome illustration by Adrian Dadich and I thought hey that wold be a cool thing to do someday.
QLvFhZNjpg1

And now its someday
The goal is for a next gen realtime character in UE4 (I'll be texturing in Toolbag2 to start, final posing/lighting/etc in UE4), along with her gun. and because I hate myself, I'll be giving her a bike (a leftover from my Petrol/Blood entry that i didnt finish) as well.

I'll also be pushing things a bit farther than whats in the concept, I'll be replacing her lower legs with cyborg enhancements.

Here's the current progress on the head:
Keyshot test:
p5DaNsBjpg
Zbrush:
29RVY49jpg

and the monocycle:
Bn6j4oQjpg
s3VXfXjjpg

There's still a ton of work to do but I think its time to share the progress and get some feedback. So as always if you see something is off and/or horrible lemme know.
Here's some of the reference I'll be using for the body.
ACtUjkAjpg

Replies

• MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I mentioned that she is rigged and now I have proof!
    Ive been playing with light setups while I finish her gun. This isnt a final pose or anything but its enough for me to start thinking about lights.

1eBTUHs.jpg
    8LstzRp.jpg
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Sweeeeeeeeet! So close to final renders.
  • ArtisticTiger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ArtisticTiger polycounter lvl 5
    Damn man this project is coming a really long way, going to be a beast for the folio:thumbup:.
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    Hey man this is looking really awesome! I was writing up some things to try to help with the lighting, but it was easier to just do a paintover, hopefully this helps.
    HBYebb0.jpg

I think the biggest thing for the me is the composition and lack of a strong key light. My eye keeps wanting to go the strong hot highlight on the handles, and not to her face.

So first thing i did was darkened down everything in the foreground, and fudged the FOV to make her face larger and more prominent in that top left third. I found those red blocks to be rather distracting for this shot, so I made them much smaller and just used them for a light color kick on her.

For lighting I think making it more grounded and using a basic 3 point lighting setup for her face it will look a lot better. Her face is being lit from almost the back left side so the shadow is taking over the majority of the face. Also I think making the purple light a lot more subtle will help the key light look better and stronger in the scene.

Not sure what stage you are with posing and rigging but getting a facial expression with some focused eyes will really help her come to life. If she is in a vehicle she might be looking around for somebody, being chased, chasing someone, which could help tell a story with her facial expression.

Hope that helps! Keep killing it Charles.
  • Scruples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scruples polycounter lvl 10
    I like the first lighting for the face. The forearms look like they might have encountered some trouble from the twist bone when posing.

Mh0diWC.jpg
  • SFNaden0802
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, great!
    Looking Good.
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @beefaroni and ArtisticTiger and SFNaden0802 - Thanks guys

BARDLER and Scruples, thanks a ton for the paintovers, keeping what you guys said in mind I think a cross between the 2 light setups might be the happy medium. Especially if I can pull in that neon blue as a rim light along the right side of the image. I might lean closer to the warmer setup for clarity and pull the in some parts from the cooler one for contrast and oomph. Thanks again.
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tool some time last night to finish the hi poly modeling for the gun, I'll e taking it into zbrush now for the detail parts, Im pretty happy with how the forms read right now.

053Wdi6.jpg
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gun is done and decimated ready for baking... All it needs is a low poly :)
    Also liking the new layout on PC

• razz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    razz polycounter lvl 9
    Well, this is incredible. Love how the character turned out.
    I kind of like how a lot of her is hidden in the shadows in the latest update. While it's not showing off the model fully, it does work well as an illustration. Agree on the rim light, though. Could be good to use one to separate the character from the background a little.
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Razz,
    Agreed about the lighting, this wont even be the actual pose in the cycle. Im sorting through a bunch of ideas now on the best way to present her in the seat. I have put together a small mood board for the general character lighting though. Due to the fact that Im looking at 3 to 4 beauty shots in various poses, theres a lot of things I can try in terms of lighting and poses to really sell the character.

• Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Looking forward to seeing the weapon finished and what pose you choose to show it off. That moodboard seems to ring pretty true with what Bardler said about a strong key light too — maybe the pose with the weapon will be ideal for that too (like the image in the bottom right corner). But I expect I'll see you playing around with that sort of thing in the hangouts. It also occurs to me that the weapon could be a good source of emissive light, or dare I even say it, lasers.
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I think a strong keylight will be key across the board.
    The low poly on the gun is done, time for UVs and bake.. And textures... 
    I procrastinated on those UVs tonight and just fiddled with posing and post effects... These wont be used in the final beauty shots.
    Just seeing how far I could push TB2's post effects.Manga Style (With some balance in PS in the first one and straight outta TB2 on the second)-  
    And some of the post effects variations I saved off-

• Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    god damn it charles I love you.
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gun is baked, normal ao and cavity, just under 6k tris.
    I'll be approaching the texturing in a similar fashion to how I handled the character; It's a maintained weapon. Its been used but it doesnt look like its been through hell and back.

• Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    It might not matter terribly once the textures are applied but the normal map banding is obvious at the moment, did you bake that sucker in 8bit? 16bit might be better for portfolio purposes (or 8 bit dithered for viewer... actually, I wonder if it reduced to 8 bit on export...)
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Bek I baked everything to an Object Space (8bit-targa) map then converted to a Tangent space. I dont remember the banding in the OS map, so maybe it was from the conversion? Im going to re-evaluate how the normal map holds up after the textures are done, and I down res to 2k. If necessary i'll rebake the normals in 16 bit, and then convert.

@genius Thanks!
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    If you bake 16 bit and then go to 8 bit in PS it should fix that banding. You will get better dithering between values which will get rid of that stepping.
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    I'm actually not sure if an 8bit TS is comparable to an 8bit OS banding-wise, though I would expect it to be identical, hence I think the conversion likely caused it. Regardless, you can solve this mystery by baking an 8bit TS map and comparing it to the converted TS.

Or you could just bake everything in 16bit forever and ever until the end of time. I think this makes the most sense workflow wise; it's probably recommended to let the engine handle the downsampling/dithering in most cases anyway (or doing more tricksy stuff like combining dithered and non-dithered maps as mentioned in the bit-depth and banding thread). It's occasionally even worth baking say a curvature map in 16bit if you're going to be using it for masking stuff and heavily abusing the levels adjustments (which I've found myself doing a lot in Substance Painter).
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rebaked to a 16bit tiff and then converted to a TS, every thing is sexy like butter on the beach.
    This is the clean material pass. I'll be doing labels and branding and then doing a wear/grit/decolorization pass after (and changing the leather grip under the barrel to rubber)... And then that should be it. then i can do final poses and lighting.

• MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You hear that? Its the fat lady getting ready to sing.
    Now that Quixel 2 is out I'll break it in on the final gun work. In the mean time here's the poses Im torn between. I'll only be using 2 of these (and the cycle poses will be a different set), so which of these 3 is the weakest?

These are the same poses just full body for context-

and here are some stupid hi res shots:
    http://i.imgur.com/SDTVdzu.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/aKx50X1.jpg
  • Sigmatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sigmatron interpolator
    This is some serious stuff. Nice character with great execution :)
  • willehrendreich
    fantastic stuff man! she looks great. reminds me a bit of Lucy Liu. 
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys,
    Lucy Lui was my reference :smile: 

• Teessider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Teessider polycounter lvl 11
    Hey charles! She is looking awesome dude :smiley: It's nice how the character has been developed! I think poses A & C have the most potential but saying that I'm leaning more towards pose C. I think it is the stronger silhouette of the two and it seems to suit the character better :) . But that is just my two cents ;) .
  • zetheros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zetheros interpolator
    Man, this is really cool. I'm getting a slight uncanny valley feel from her face though.

(Green): I've noticed that eyes are actually remarkably small, and when you see photos of girls, their eyes oftentimes seem to be bigger than they really are, due to makeup, fake eyelashes, etc. The green portion is how much of the eye is actually showing; in this case it's almost twice as much.
    (Blue): Eyebrows are also great at being misleading, they can be in a variety of shapes, but are essentially icing on the cake; you want to look at the underlying skull/brow area. in my experience, the supraorbital margin is fairly flat, with just a slight curve.
    (Purple): Skin folds can end in some fairly sharp lines, and, while subtle, make a huge difference.

Hope that helps... I'm trying to learn this stuff too. Female faces are the trickiest thing I've ever worked with...
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @zetheros
    Thanks for the feedback but I think you may have confused the first post which is almost a year old (And pinned to the top of every page) with the final face sculpt. The head went through a bit more iteration and some changes to get a happy medium between the likeness the concept and what I wanted the final look to be in the end.
    I isolated the the current head and setup a some neutral lighting to give a better example- 

You pointed out a lot of things that are spot on. Some of them like the eyes were intentional and other things are just due to the fact that this project is getting pretty old, but I will keep them in mind for upcoming projects. Thanks again!
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well time to hit that old dusty trail... by which I mean, this shit it done.
    Thanks everyone for all your help and crits over the course of this project.
    There are little things I could adjust here and there but it's time to move on.
    Ive uploaded Viewer files on Artstation as well- 
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/n42Z4
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/4alw1

• Nuclear Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nuclear Angel polycounter
    This is one of the best things I have seen lately. Congratz on finishing your piece. It turned out awesome. 
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! Im happy its done as well. :)
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    A lot of great stuff going on here ! And a very nice presentation. Congrats on wrapping it up !
  • erroldynamic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    erroldynamic polycounter lvl 18
    Congrats on finishing, looks badass.
  • Sabotage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sabotage polycounter lvl 7
    Looks awesome, congrats on finishing.
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone! I learned a lot and Im looking to apply it to my next project. :smile: 

• mikezoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikezoo polycounter lvl 14
    Nice work! 

You did a fantastic job of translating the concept to 3D. I really dig the renders of her and the Cycle. Its not often that character artists can pull off a character/vehicle combo in their presentation.

Whatever you decided to accomplish for your next body of work, I would recommend working on another head. Looks like you made good momentum on  this previous head sculpt, so take that energy and push the next one you make to the next level! 

• MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Mike!
    I learned a lot with this project and after a year Im itching to do something even better with all my momentum :smile: 

• MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha Thanks! Her arms are my favorite part I think.
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Woot wooot!

It's been fun to see you working on this in the hangouts and always trying to incorporate new workflows, techniques, and critiques into the piece. Definitely paid off in the end!
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks man! Learned a lot with this and I cant wait to roll that knowledge forward!