Home Technical Talk

Photoshop brush lag

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Shinsen polycounter lvl 9
Something's been messing up my workflow lately and Ive never seen it before.

Up until this week I never had lag in photoshop. I cannot think of anything ive done that could have caused it either, its like it just appeared randomly.

the weirdest part is that its ONLY with that one file im working on right now. if Iopen another file Ive done before, I get zero brush lag, even if the file is bigger, more layers, etc.

I tried changing drawing mode to basic, unchecking openGL, didnt do anything. unckecking the "use graphics processor" box didnt work either.

As I said, I doubt its a matter of performance since any other file, some even bigger, get zero lag , its only that one file.

I have windows 8.1, PC, phothshop cs6, wacom intuos 4

if anyone have a clue what it may be, please tell me, its very frustrating to paint with that lag.

Replies

• throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Any brush or just one?

Not knowing anything about your file, perhaps you have a ton of pixels outside the borders from a pasted source? Select all, Crop to trim those.
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    I've had lags like that before, and just rebooting pc always helped.
  • kurt_hectic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kurt_hectic polycounter lvl 10
    1) use graphics processor - try every single option there, restart photoshop and look if that cause any change, it should

2) In my case, (on ati card) I cannot use specific mode. I'm talking about these from shortcut "F". In one of them I have horrible lag, I think that UI mess up something. Try to click F and try all modes.

"its only that one file." - OK, I didn't read that. Dunno, export everything to the new file. Layer by layer.
  • Shinsen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shinsen polycounter lvl 9
    just an update on this since I tried everything ITT and nothing seemed to work but I actually found what was the problem...

I had a layer with the stroke fx modifier doing a black outline to a pretty big region, as soon as I merged that layer so the fx was baked , it stopped lagging. pretty odd IMO, my computer isnt slow either.

anyway, thanks for the comments!