Home General Discussion

Freelancers recommend cash by square?

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
Some of my recent clients aren't really into using paypal so I'm wondering if there are other as popular or little known but useful pay transfers sites out there that I havent heard about yet.

For Canadian clients I also use Interac e-transfer.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    MagicSugar wrote: »
    Some of my recent clients aren't really into using paypal so I'm wondering if there are other as popular or little known but useful pay transfers sites out there that I havent heard about yet.

For Canadian clients I also use Interac e-transfer.

Thanks in advance.

you could get paid in bitcoin instead.
    https://bitcoin.org/en/
  • meshiah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    meshiah polycounter lvl 17
    im with sprunghunt on this one, unless it's a gig i really want. im only accepting bitcoin for anything international. really cuts down on fees and bs, more secure etc.
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StephenVyas polycounter lvl 18
    On the other hand...
    BTC still seems highly volatile, with a steady decline over the year.
    http://www.coindesk.com/price/
    While it does offer zero-> very low fees, you're still faced with a currency thats weakening on a daily basis. Unless you're in and out of the currency quickly, I would avoid it.
  • meshiah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you can use it as a unit of transfer and not be involved whit the risk volatility at all.

"BTC still seems highly volatile, with a steady decline over the year."

lols,,but with a incline over 2 years (why choose 1 year?), usd has been on a steady decline since inception, and has lost 98% of its value (if you're holding usd it's losing value). volatility is expected when the market cap is low, its healty (another topic for another time), don't get caught up in the fud. it's growing in transaction volume and the network is strengthening daily, for me still the best way to move money around. i don't agree that is weakening because the price went down. it's a network effect tech, telephones weren't useful until lots of people had them.

-adding one thing, i like the security aspect of it, it felt really wrong sending my personal info to someone in Europe i don't know. i digress though, don't want to get preachy or whatevs.
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    I usually request a bank transfer if paypal is a no go. Though there's usually a $60 fee involved there so only as a last resort
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's important to note
    When an index goes from 1100 -> sub 400, within a period of 12months, I can't imagine calling it healthy. That's a crash.
    BTC is what most analysts would consider as bear market index, for the moment.. Money(volume) has been exiting it since early 2014, as identified by the bars along the bottom of the graph. This may change, but it's anyones guess when it'll find a support bottom.
    For whatever reasons attributed to it's sky rocketing success in 2013, it has failed to reach any support levels for the time being. It's currently a currency losing valuation exceedingly faster than the USD or any other currency I'm aware of.
    Though, Bitcoin sounds like it favours the merchant far more than the client. So we have added protection on our side, if we choose to use it.
    RfsoVjD.png
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    meshiah wrote: »
    you can use it as a unit of transfer and not be involved whit the risk volatility at all.

"BTC still seems highly volatile, with a steady decline over the year."

lols,,but with a incline over 2 years (why choose 1 year?), usd has been on a steady decline since inception, and has lost 98% of its value (if you're holding usd it's losing value). volatility is expected when the market cap is low, its healty (another topic for another time), don't get caught up in the fud. it's growing in transaction volume and the network is strengthening daily, for me still the best way to move money around. i don't agree that is weakening because the price went down. it's a network effect tech, telephones weren't useful until lots of people had them.

-adding one thing, i like the security aspect of it, it felt really wrong sending my personal info to someone in Europe i don't know. i digress though, don't want to get preachy or whatevs.
    BTC has not been on an "incline" over two years, it was in an incline for 2 months in 2013 when it suddenly spiked in value as a result of widespread media coverage. It's been in a clear downward trend ever since. You can't base future value on a bubble that is long past... Just like you wouldn't buy a house in the US today based on housing price trends from 2007, no one should be buying bitcoins today based on the pricing trends of BTC in Oct 2013.

Also the US dollar has lost 95% of its value since 1913. Which sucks for anyone who stuffed all their money into a matress before the great depression then fell into a coma but is really meaningless for anybody living today where inflation is below 2% a year.

The USD is estimated to have lost 1.7% of its value in 2014. Meanwhile BTC lost almost 50% of its value in the same timespan.
  • meshiah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IT'S AN ASSET CLASS NOT A CURRENCY. StephenVyas is presenting it as an investment vehicle, and comparing it to current fiat for money making purposes. that's not why were here, we have a different context.we just want to quickly transfer in and out, while your analysis is correct for investing, your in the wrong ballpark. forget about the "value" of it all togeather, look at what the technology is doing. we are just using the system to transfer, not store money.

this is the important chart right now.
    https://blockchain.info/charts/n-transactions

almost 100k transactions per day and growing. you might want to give Paypal,dell,new egg, and the hundreds of millions of VC dollars including peter theil himself(paypal) some consideration, because they see it differently (snarky, sry).

again everything you said is presented as an investment.....it's not a currecy, its not aninvestment. its digital asset running on new tech (think digital magic bean using torrents). its relation to usd is not really important to this discussion, unless your making the point that is on the outs because of the price drop, but transaction volume contradicts the market depth your seeing. if you understand what this technology actually is and what it can do, its an easy sell.

and since 2 posters mentioned it. its not fair to just pick an arbitrary time and say "look, its declining vs usd, it doesn't add any good data. that's why i randomly threw out "its up from two years". dont think that came through as inteded
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    Chase quickpay is pretty convenient- the only hitch is that one of you has to have an account with chase... also I have only used it Domestically in the US, not sure how it works beyond the borders

https://www.chase.com/online-banking/quickpay
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    I always get wire transfers from international clients and have them cover the related fees. If they aren't well established get 50% up front. If you have any reason to think they might not pay you, don't work for them.
  • Neox
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    just wire the money, bank to bank, like every professional o_O
  • Mstankow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mstankow polycounter lvl 11
    Don't use Bitcoin cause Bitcoin fans are crazy people and don't deserve satisfaction.
  • RexM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There is no issue with using Bitcoin to transfer money when you are going to instantly convert it to USD, especially when there are no international transfer fees. When you convert it instantly, it's just a vehicle for the transfer of a currency, nothing more.

Mstankow, your comment is ill-informed my friend. Crazy people? That's offensive. Seems to me like you need to read up on Bitcoin.

Bitcoin is not an investment. Those treating it as such are the ones who are going to miss out. That being said, everyone should have a Bitcoin or two because it is gaining in popularity at an exponential rate, as long as you have the money to burn of course, never putting all eggs into one basket and what not.

Its adoption keeps on going up. Please show me ANYTHING where a company or website has said 'We no longer support Bitcoin.' You won't find it because it doesn't exist. In addition to that, the price is stabilizing. It's only been in existence for 5 years, you cannot expect something that new to be completely stable from the get-go.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Wire transfers for big things (involving companies). Client pays the transfer fee and all is fine with the world and my bank gives a good rate on currency conversions. Then use Paypal for others/personal/small things.
  • Mstankow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mstankow polycounter lvl 11
    My hatred is more political than anything else.
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    meshiah wrote: »
    IT'S AN ASSET CLASS NOT A CURRENCY. you keep presenting it as an investment vehicle, and comparing it to current fiat for money making purposes. that's not why were here, we have a different context.we just want to quickly transfer in and out, while your analysis is correct for investing, your in the wrong ballpark. forget about the "value" of it all togeather, look at what the technology is doing. we are just using the system to transfer, not store money.

this is the important chart right now.
    https://blockchain.info/charts/n-transactions

almost 100k transactions per day and growing. you might want to give Paypal,dell,new egg, and the hundreds of millions of VC dollars including peter theil himself(paypal) some consideration, because they see it differently (snarky, sry).

again everything you said is presented as an investment.....it's not a currecy, its not aninvestment. its digital asset running on new tech (think digital magic bean using torrents). its relation to usd is not really important to this discussion, unless your making the point that is on the outs because of the price drop, but transaction volume contradicts the market depth your seeing. if you understand what this technology actually is and what it can do, its an easy sell.

and since 2 posters mentioned it. its not fair to just pick an arbitrary time and say "look, its declining vs usd, it doesn't add any good data. that's why i randomly threw out "its up from two years". dont think that came through as inteded
    I don't think anyone ever argued against getting paid in it and exchanging it immediately? Sprunghunt said to get paid in Bitcoin, he didn't clarify that you should exchange it immediately which lead StephenVyas to point out that you shouldn't hold onto it because it has been rapidly depreciating in value.

You're the one who brought up its 2 year pricing trends and compared it to the erosion of the USD as if it was some kind of counterargument. If you didn't disagree then I'm not sure why you would even post that...
  • meshiah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    atticusmars,i agree with everything you've posted,think we got mixed up
    i was replying to post #4 where StephenVyas brought up an arbitrary 1 year trend, and then post 7(the chart) iwasn't replying to yours post. i threw out a 2 year example just to show you cant just pick a random time frame, it doesnt add anything useful. the price trend/volatility is not important at all to our use.

my ultimate point was to show that the price in usd is NOT the metric you look at to see weather this is useful technology.

the comparison to usd was to show that even though its trend is down and losing value, it's still useful. same here, price trend is down, doesn't mean its less a valuable system.
  • RN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    As has been said before, Bitcoin is an asset, not a currency.

Therefore, to convert your Bitcoin to USD or to your local currency you need to find an online service where you can sell your Bitcoins. There's a fee involved, it varies depending on the service.
    It seems that in the US there's a lot of options, but not so much in other countries.

Some experienced users recommend selling Bitcoin on eBay, it seems, in order to ask for a higher value than what is the market standard.
    I wouldn't have patience for this, I just want the currency in my account and forget about it, so it's PayPal for the time being.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As others have said, wire transfer and get it in the contract that the client pays for any transaction fees. Anyone who can't handle wiring you money is probably not worth your effort. The last thing I would want to do is ask a client to paypal/bitcoin/dwolla me, I think that would look pretty unprofessional if you're dealing with an established company.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Slightly off topic. but did you know that in England pay-pal transfers to your bank are instant?
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    As others have said, wire transfer and get it in the contract that the client pays for any transaction fees. Anyone who can't handle wiring you money is probably not worth your effort. The last thing I would want to do is ask a client to paypal/bitcoin/dwolla me, I think that would look pretty unprofessional if you're dealing with an established company.
    In order to appear as professional as possible I exclusively request payment in Dogecoins.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Marmoset.co send all of my payments via personal courier.
    baycycle-water-bike.png
  • Saf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saf polycounter lvl 11
    payoneer.com or skrill.com?