Home General Discussion

What do you think crates will look like in the future of reality?

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
Heh, just thought I'd make a bit of a light-hearted post after browsing through a lot of artwork on the forums. (This is not about what looks cool but what is probably going to be the future)

Do you guys think crates in the real future might actually look like these: quake4_crates2.jpg

or more along the lines of these perhaps:
phoenix-woodcrates1.jpg

I'm personally going to take a random guess and say that they'll probably still be boxes in the future due to easy storing and cheap production over aesthetics. That and I kind of doubt someones going to want 5 different security touchpads and locks to go through everytime they have to open up a container. Queue the simple objects in real-life.

maaaybe slightly more greeble, please let there be more greeble.

Replies

• PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    I think it depends on how much money ppl are going to spend on it... as well as its practicality. Militaristic style probably be more angular. And there's futuristic style everything is kinda sleek and rounded.
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    They might become hexagonal in the future but will probably continue to use as cheap of materials as possible for whatever their purpose is. Hexes pack just as efficiently as boxes do and you can make just as strong a container with less materials, and while they're more costly to manufacture now economies of scale could mitigate that.

Plus hexes = future, just ask Sid Meier.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    the crates of today are the standardized shipping containers. They're standardized so they fit on ships, trucks and trains. They're stackable, solid and there's lots of infrastructure for handling them already in place. It's a pretty damn good standard, which will be with us for quite a long time I guess.
  • Shadownami92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shadownami92 polycounter lvl 7
    I imagine something that could cause containers to change their design though would be a big change in how things are transported. I imagine wood may not be the best container if transportation ends up moving at much higher speeds. I doubt the design would change a whole long, but switching to a sturdier material than plywood seems like a probability.
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    The above sci-fi crates actually just look like really expensive luggage or briefcases. I can maybe see mini versions of cargo containers with corrugated metal and latches for opening, but unless materials and manufacturing gets cheaper, they aren't changing much other than it's basic shape.

boxes within boxes within boxes. Maybe something will be cut out of that in the future and we'll learn to save more space
    163503065_689e36ab5e_b.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    They might become hexagonal in the future but will probably continue to use as cheap of materials as possible for whatever their purpose is. Hexes pack just as efficiently as boxes do and you can make just as strong a container with less materials, and while they're more costly to manufacture now economies of scale could mitigate that.

Plus hexes = future, just ask Sid Meier.

Sure... Now they just gotta build rooms in shape of hexagon as well. Cuz there's no way you can effectively pack hexes into rectangular-shape room. Same for warehouse, ship's cargo hold, truck, trains and what not...
  • Kurt Russell Fan Club
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kurt Russell Fan Club polycounter lvl 9
    The future will contain fewer trees because it will be in space. Future crates will be hollowed-out asteroids. Filled with powerups.
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    ima say that if the primary use for them shifts from transporting cargo to using them as chest high cover, those designs might not be that far off.
    wood is realy bad at stopping bullets and lasers.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    I think crates of the future will be extremely boring to look at. My reasoning is that materials will come about that don't need any re-enforcement and no supporting structure will be required. Generally the struts are what give crates their "typical" shape. Without the need for a "skeleton" boxes and crates will simply need to be a box with sides. Locks will also become far smaller and hardly noticable.
  • Alphavader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alphavader polycounter lvl 11
    Form follows function : I think they`ll look the same.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    They will still look the same. Also standard shipping containers are kinda high tech. They are stackable fit on trains trucks and ships, have mount points to make them easy to move. Some of them have HVAC systems to maintain a certain tempture for the cargo.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • mats effect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe air tight ones will become more common but its hard to improve on how well you can stack box's together already.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    I think they will look like apple designed them.

Sleek white/black/brown plastic boxes, with bevelled edges.
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    why hex crates? it's less efficient to pack things into... imagine if UV maps were hexes and what a pain that would be

far more likely is that we'll see stronger, lighter materials that obviate the need for strong backing surfaces or multiple components

ZD4b7cY.jpg

mE4KbgD.jpg

bubYl9o.jpg
  • Suidae
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Suidae polycounter lvl 11
    I'm afraid the fancy sci-fi crates of tomorrow will forever exist in our imaginations, and perhaps as special novelty promotional items here and there. They'll always be boring, but practical, because businesses have no incentive to redesign everything that transports/distributes/holds them like forklifts/pallet jacks, freight bays, warehouse racks, etc.

Ya, drones might be the only thing to change looks up a bit because there's no standard for them yet. But, more than likely, they'll be made to fit the standard, not the other way around. It's just more cost effective that way. :poly142:
  • jovcem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jovcem polycounter lvl 9
    I wonder how will barrels look?
  • Mstankow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mstankow polycounter lvl 11
    The standard Intermodal Container is 40 feet long with there being 20 foot and 10 foot variations in existence. If drones were to transport them in the future, you would probably have 10 x 10 foot cubes or 5 x 5 cubes that can stack inside the 40 foot containers. No reason to reinvent the wheel when the current system makes a lot of sense. Any design change would be to make the crates more durable in the existing framework.

Now plane cargo is a whole different story.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hexes don't pack any more densely than triangles or squares do. Their advantage is mostly that you can make an equally sturdy container with less material.
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    I think it's possible that crates in the future could be made out of fiberglass, or a strong plastic. It's pretty easy to manufacture those materials, make them into any shape you want, and assemble them autonomously. It's even easier to store them in their broken down forms, as they could be designed to compact quickly and easily, and to reassemble.
    it helps that some of these materials tend to be lighter than wood.

I'd also imagine that many of these crates would be built and assembled to package specific goods, and could be shaped and manufactured to fit the cargo and save space, as well as provide protective/cushioned packaging.

And then the materials are reusable, which isn't always the case with wood.

fiberglass-facing-sandwich-panel-aluminum-honeycomb-core-90136-3401673.jpg
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Cool idea, TeriyakiStyle!

In terms of shape, let's not forget that drums and barrels are clearly not made in square form. But that's likely a manufacturing variable, since making water/air tight containers tends to be easier with you have only 3 seams to worry about and not 12, or 18. Plus liquids and gasses (or granular substances) don't need a box, so any shape will do. Easy to get the cargo in the barrel and out, and not too hard to store. They store like hexagons.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Circle packing is inherently inefficient. There are a lot of reasons why liquids get stored in drums or barrels, though. If you think about tanks that store flammable gases under high pressure, like propane or natural gas, they're usually shaped something like this:

JQ3Fuf2.png

All the seams are welded, of course, to prevent the container from leaking. The reason why this is a good container design for this particular situation is that the pressure is more evenly distributed among the walls of the container, meaning that you need to use less material to get a similarly sturdy canister. Take this line of thinking to its extreme and you get an egg, which distributes pressure that's applied evenly to its walls very well.

Of course, real gas containers have more constraints, like packing efficiency, so they usually don't have spherical shapes if their sole purpose is storage. If you need to put something under a lot of pressure, though, for instance if you're manufacturing diamonds, you'll probably run into a situation where you're pressurizing stuff in a container that's as close to spherical as possible.

Gas containers are a little more optimized for packing and transport so they tend to have a capsule shape rather than a spherical shape. This provides good enough pressure distribution without drastically reducing efficiency. Of course, if you're transporting dry goods, hexagonal prisms will be more efficient, or those rhombic dodecahedral thingymajigs, and of course stuff is probably going to have a handle of some sort and a lid or spout of some sort for the foreseeable future (though a more precise form of attachment point might not be out of the question if the container is supposed to be handled only by robots.)

Fun stuff.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • mentalfrog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ...might even be better to have a 1-way option for the crates that would dismantle them on a chemical level and re-purposed locally. Right now connex metal crates sit empty for months in port before being re-used for anything.

One of the reasons the connex metal crates pile up is that it's cheaper to get a new one than it is to re-certify one for shipping.

They do need more things to re-purpose them for but even now you can do some interesting and creative things with them.

As for futuristic crates I don't really see them changing shape. I think we'll see some interesting advances in shipping but I don't think a shape change will be one of them.
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lhBBYkG.png

Some space that's taken up by air is more than no space that's taken up by air.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    you could also google for "airplane container". Those seem to be fairly standardized as well, and lend themselves better for applying some futuristic design than boring shipping containers
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Good call, Kwramm. What's with the funky shape though?
    LD-air-freight-containers.jpg
    0LD3.jpg

Some cool functionality here
    706329131_981.jpg
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    It's really not a matter of technology. Junk like that could be made today.
    People don't do it because it's stupidly expensive and completely unnecessary compared to a plain wood/cardboard box.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Sounds like a great new topic, but now the kicker should be "make your own PRACTICAL future crate." It'd be good to get people to think about it's function, use, manufacturing, etc.

Or maybe not because that's boring compared to crazy sci-fi iCrate with zany shapes.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good points but why do you say circle packing is inherently inefficient?
    Probably for the same reasons bees use a hexagonal shape? Less resources used to create the container, less energy expended to create it, better stability, more can be packed into a tighter space ect...

http://www.npr.org/blogs/krulwich/2013/05/13/183704091/what-is-it-about-bees-and-hexagons
    honeycomb-2_wide-49ae2c6ec87d4b4092881baf81e2de967926cba5-s600-c85.jpg

Maybe the crate of the future won't be a stand alone container at all. Maybe it will look more like a honeycomb but because of the shared sides, it will just be temporary panels that snap into place to create chambers for whatever goes inside. Different configurations can be created and customized to better outline the cargo. So instead of something odd shaped, going into a standard sized container the container would better conform to the shape and allow other smaller objects to be packed in around it.
    HexShipping.gif *shrug* beez...
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    In a former life I had two large antique stores ( Houston n Austin ) and had large enuff shows at the bi-annual Round Top/Warrenton Trade days to require additional warehouse and storage space ( including large furniture and architecturals ).
    But it was the mountain of small stuff that needed to be packed stored and shipped effectively that made such organization a living hell. I fell in love with the stackable containers with the hinged lids that u see at pharmacies and grocery stores:
    754.jpg
    The grade of plastics for commercial/industrial use are tuff as nails so you could throw them about when hard at work without worrying about brittle breakage u get with the cheap walmart versions. You can stack front to back floor to ceiling and never have to worry about matching enuff lids to containers. Plus they come with handles built in!
    Never have to worry about the bottom of a stack crushed under all the weight thus never tumbling over bringing down everything else around it. Not to mention that they r stackable because the bases are slightly smaller than the "lipped edge" lids they "fit" into.

On the other hand...
    I was so fatigued and disorganized that I had to use the transparent brittle ones because being able to see the contents at all times saved me alot more time than any other headache solution. Would have been nice to have found a transparent model that was just as sturdy as the industrial grey containers.
    For this reason "Cambro" containers have a virtual monopoly in the restaurant industry:
    Stackable lipped lids. Storage both tough and transparent for easy content recognition...
    bc230-service-cart-in-front-of-camshelving-food-pans.jpg
    ( but really really expensive $$$ compared to the laymen who might compare the same to cheap tupperware )

As obvious a solution square/rectangular cube spaces might be to "footprint efficiency"...
    ( both to the warehouse floor and the packed items within )
    1.jpg
    the hexagonal "rows n columns" will not tip over as easily as the weak straight fault lines u git with cubes.
    spose u could stagger cubes to get rid of those fault lines but then u run into the same problem of leftover footprint gaps. In both instances special gap sized containers could fill up the square? But then again, the end needing triangles wouldn't be worth the effort?:
    l10555e.jpg

In the images I could find,
    the hex containers are shown stacked on the hex angled sides.
    I imagine u could stack higher without worrying about tipping over by laying them flat.
    Letting gravity take care of those "straight fault lines".
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Crates in the modern sense will always be some sort of shipping container, I doubt they'll change much other than their materials.

What would be the next step after a crate though? What would people use in 2200? Boxes sure, but what else? Big gelatinous absorbant cubes that absorb anything you put in and act as an automatic cushion? Sticky pallets that hold anything put on them with gravitational forces and can be aligned sideways or upside down without dropping their load?