Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Half Life 2 - Modified Combine APC

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
TheAxiom polycounter lvl 3
Okay this was a fun one to make. Basically I wanted to make my own modified version of the combine APC in PBR, from initial concept sketches (which I'll post soon) to final low poly render which I textured in Substance Painter and Photoshop.

modified_combine_apc__pbr__by_the_axiom-d88mky4.jpg

modified_combine_apc_02__pbr__by_the_axiom-d88mkyr.jpg

LP_Final_zps7c3fd171.jpg

BeautyShot_01_zpsa948fd73.jpg

Let me know what you think!

Replies

• Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    I'd love to see some higher rez shots and texture breakdowns. Maybe an in-engine shot too?
  • TheAxiom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon wrote: »
    I'd love to see some higher rez shots and texture breakdowns. Maybe an in-engine shot too?

Yeah sure. I'll post what I have time to tonight. :) The high poly is just the basic form though as I do all of the little details on the norm in Photoshop or Substance Painter afterwards.

This was the original concept I drew, as you can see the turret changed quite a bit once I began modelling.

n3043614PHARISMoodboard09_zps44decc6e.jpg

This was the high poly when I began baking. I only baked the basic shapes due to the short time I had.

HP_01_zpsd7337bba.jpg

This was the low at the time. The tri count increased a bit as I copied a few objects around the body near the end.

tricount_zpsfedd860f.jpg

Here's an example of the wheel bake. I knew I would be 3D painting so I didn't need to worry too much about hiding UV seams and I use TexTools to set my smoothing groups by my UV islands, that way there aren't any seams in the normal.

HP_Wheel_zps72c9dda6.jpg

I worked with two texture maps. One contained the central body and chassis, the other everything else.

Maps_zps31c20093.jpg

UVS_zps14cc4b7d.jpg
  • TheAxiom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The painting process in Substance Painter is very easy. You can paint in however many maps you want with each brush stroke and there's a layer/masking system similar to Photoshop. You can move up and down freely in texture resolution too without it messing up the maps.

Here I used my AO to mask out dust, then toned it down later.

Substance_Dust_zps7a2c3f5f.jpg

This is the 4K tire I hand painted in Substance, which I wouldn't have been able to achieve just in Photoshop.

Substance_Wheels_01_zpsdd05ca4c.jpg

Here's my base albedo in Substance with layer workflow

Substance_Base_01_zps7128076b.jpg

And with all the maps together, with the layers for my second UV

Substance_Layers_01_zps10e9bfef.jpg
  • TheAxiom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't know how to get my 4K images on to Polycount. I used Photobucket but everything just gets pushed to 1k.

Here's the design process I went though. Quite a few different ideas until I was happy with the silhouette.

designstages_zps9715e396.jpg
  • Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    ^^try imgur.com for large image uploading for free.

Looking pretty sweet to me! I may have to try out substance painter now.
  • Stirls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
    Love seeing HL2 pieces. Nice work.
  • TheAxiom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys! I was able to use Deviant Art for the first two images. Hopefully those will be hi-res enough to see the detail. :)

This is the original HL2 combine APC for anyone who's curious.

4mkN4wD.png