Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Crystal Monster

Replies

• Geno527
    Offline / Send Message
    Geno527 polycounter lvl 8
    Oh, wow, I really like the concept and what you've done with it. As Loutrattitude said you should work a bit more on the skin (your sculpt is very good), the "crystals" are already perfect (and the transition with the skin too.) Well done :D
  • Chris Kuhner
    Offline / Send Message
    Chris Kuhner polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks for all the feedback everyone! Started texturing the skin and adding in detail. I also tinkered around with the color scheme and think I may have found an interesting middle ground between crits. I'd like to get some spotting in there as well as a couple areas of different scale patterns Let me know what you think! :D

4xrih4I.png

16Ow93D.png
  • Gallamanji
    Offline / Send Message
    Gallamanji polycounter lvl 7
    lookin cool =D
  • vickgaza
    Offline / Send Message
    vickgaza polycounter lvl 6
    Coming along well nice man :D Really digging it so far.
    Might want to bump the contrast between the white belly area and inner limbs vs the outer green area, just to show the separationa bitmore.
    Am totally digging though, nice job !
  • pmiller001
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    This bugger has really come to life! i love it.
  • AlphaMix
    I just had to chime in and say its beautiful, the crystals... and the mouth is like :P

Don't go too heavy on the scales though.
  • Chris Kuhner
    Offline / Send Message
    Long time no progress! I think I'm close to calling this done. There's still a few things I'd like to change or redesign, but I think that time might be better spent on another project. Of course if there are glaring problems I'll definitely go in and fix those. :)

Everything was textured using Substance Designer and Substance Painter. I'm really pleased with the robustness of both programs and will definitely use them in the future.

As always, any comments or critique are welcome! :)

A7sxWNo.png

qfMmBY3.png

mdVGObx.png

VtV5EU0.png
  • Villain
    This looks amazing. You got some really nice transitions from the rock to the grain to the crystals. Only thing I have to say is that the area around the nose looks at little low res compared to the rest of the model. And that a lot of your crystals look like they have the same amount of roughness and could use a bit more variation. Other than that this looks awesome man. Nice job.
  • Bolovorix
    Offline / Send Message
    Bolovorix ngon master
    Well done! Your textures look great, and I love the skin detail!
  • MrPie
    Offline / Send Message
    MrPie polycounter lvl 5
    Really great work, love the transition from the crystals!
  • Sukotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    Came out amazing Chris, good jerb! The crystals are great but my favorite part is definitely his mouth! Inspires me to make a creature for my next project :)
  • PitelinM
    Offline / Send Message
    PitelinM polycounter lvl 8
    You have been working on it quite a while, but result is totally worth it. When I saw your High poly wips I would never imagine that you will go with such color scheme, but it works! Congrats with awesome finished model!
  • luthyn
    Offline / Send Message
    luthyn polycounter lvl 8
    This is fantasic! I love the color and material definition!
  • [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Elk
    love it really much :D my only critique would be to add a more decaying feeling to the teeth, adding some yellow and greens in there eventually, so it gives the user the impression that his mouth stiiiiiiiiinks hell :p
  • Chris Kuhner
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks so much everyone! Havent had my computer handy the last week or so because moving is an awful process, haha. I definitely agree with and appreciate the crits. If I get some time, I'd like to revisit the teeth/mouth area to add drool and translucency as well as another layer/ligament connection-thing at the corner of the mouth.

Once I get him into Unreal I think it would be cool to introduce some transparency to the crystals as well as a fresnel that could highlight inner fractures/imperfections/distortion. Last bit would be to make an emissive map for the crystals and dust. Sort of a bioluminescent dealio. Those things are all on the action-list to tinker with; but I might return to it later as a break from the next project.

I'm sure if I thought on it more I could think of a whole other list of changes to make. So many things, haha. Thanks again friends! :)
  • Earthyn
    Offline / Send Message
    Earthyn polycounter lvl 2
    Ah man you make me want to learn substance designer! Maybe I will give it another gander ;)

Lovely design