Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

facial structure help.

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
ladyxbug polycounter lvl 2
Im typing everything via phone, so im making a quick post to see if this works. Sorry for any inconvenience. This post will be edited.

Edit::

I have to do everything via mobile, so bare with the chaos. In short, i have been able to do cg works for months due to circumstances. Now im up and running with fresh eyes, so I want to start correcting things. Thus far I see a weakness in facial structures, especially around the eyes. Any advice and critiques would be wonderful.

The 1st is PPGs Bubbles by dArtist busterella.
2nd is concepted by dArtist loish's "chatter"
The last is Spyro inspired by Insomniacs designs.

http://s201.photobucket.com/user/yukineko109/media/Mobile%20Uploads/Bubbles_Head_zpsbf6bd5e1.jpg.html?sort=3&o=7

http://s201.photobucket.com/user/yukineko109/media/Mobile%20Uploads/Spyro_head_zps6194ddaa.jpg.html?sort=3&o=3

http://s201.photobucket.com/user/yukineko109/media/Mobile%20Uploads/Chatter_zps1ae2d838.jpg.htm

Replies

• pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    Well I like how they look,
    as far as them being accurate. IDK. DO you have the art they're based on?
    also , the third link doesnt work for me.
  • ladyxbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks goodness I'm back on the internet, which will make sharing 10 times easier. So now to properly share all the things.
    PPGs
    I've been working on the girls for sometime, while
    I was still learning how to model. It's been a transforming
    process bouncing back and forth from learning from
    two different people with different techniques. I've been told
    modeling them would be implausible with the size of their eyes. Rather
    than accepting a flat no with a pinch of humor and sarcasm,
    I've ventured into the unknown with them.

ppgs_zpsa185ee01.jpgtumblr_m8bbvyzvxa1rz05cuo1_1280.png
    tumblr_n25c59l2ap1rz05cuo1_500.pngBubbles_pose_zps59b94697.jpgBubbles_Head_zpsbf6bd5e1.jpg

The eyes have been a tough spot. In one render it felt like I managed it,
    but I started over and hadn't been able to recapture it yet.

An old version.
    Render2_zpsc4d6e470.jpeg

Chatterbyloish_zps782c02d4.jpg
    Chatterfin_zps692bb997.jpg
    Chatter_zps1ae2d838.jpg

I've already started the nip and tuck when I started to focus on accuracy; I lowered the brows, gave her more of a brow ridge, gave her nose more tlc, thinned her lips, and adjusted the contours of her face and cheeks.

chattupdate_zps6cf1cba6.jpg

Lastly Spyro the Dragon
    I want it to reminiscence his old design compared to his latest game
    and the abomination in skylander. I know as a 2D artist who studied
    2D animation that you can recreate EVERY aspect that makes it
    so unique, expressive and organic, but I'm trying to hit close to it.

I studied him for a bit and recreated a painting to visualize him; I probably
    went a step too far and start sculpting to figure out the scales I wanted.
    I want to avoid using too much platted scales like gators, because it feels lazy

JACKPOT_zps7c0b2a7a.jpg
    spyrocolored_zps647f4f8f.jpg
    Spyro_rend_zpsb1c04300.jpgspyrosculpt_zps78dd3ba8.jpg
    Spyro_head_zps6194ddaa.jpg

All in all...FACES! UUGH! And I'm sure I need to find a proper
    tutorial that explores in higher detail to modeling eyes.

Edit: If the image size are huge, I apologize. Lesson to self: resize them yourself.
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    I don't model faces like this, so I can't help you out with the technical side (I sculpt, and only polymodel organics for really low poly stuff that I won't be baking down), but I thought I might weigh in in your understanding of faces.

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa302/yukineko109/chattupdate_zps6cf1cba6.jpg
    This shows that you're starting to understand how to model the eyelid/cavity area well enough on your own, that area looks a lot less vague now which is great! The nose and cheeks are also less weird and puffy.

But the one area that you didn't really improve on is the mouth area. You just kind of made them different, but the planes are still all wrong.
    See the mouth area on this ref, also some important curvature and overhangs are kinda wonky.
    1395670599047.jpg

xlarge-Head-neck-Secrets-158.jpg

Remember to frequent Anatomy4Sculptors. (Check the secrets tab!)

Additionally, I don't quite understand the reasoning behind modelling her mouth open like that. I'd suggest closing it into a neutral pose, you can just hide stuff when you start modelling the mouth cavity.

Keep it up, hope this helps.
  • ladyxbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update.
    - Tweaked her eyelids
    - Added lashes
    - Tweaked her lips
    - Added glasses

update_zps2a6e33b9.jpg

If you have any comments and suggestions for the previous posted models, feel free. I will incorporate what I've absorbed into them.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    The nose on the LAST model, we've lost the forms on the side of the nose. The side spheres, so to speak.

nose-front-view.jpg
  • ladyxbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update:
    + Tweaked her nose.
    + Adjusted her clothing.
    chatter_update_2_zps8e16f3cb.jpg

Update:
    + Retouched her lips
    + Tweaked eyelids
    + Added eyelashes

bubbles_update_1_zps579c0d15.jpg

Repost:
    Comparing to his original concepts (posted above earlier) he lacks
    + lacks the elliptical eyes, which I feel will be implausible to pull off. His eyes would have to big enough to adjust his eyeslids to be elliptical. I presume that's why 2006 Legend of Spyro had round eyes, while the 90's Spyro the Dragon had an almond shape.

I'll play around with it to refine the shape.

+ His eyebrows are lower, which is heavily relied on to make him expressive.

+ And his overall jaw shape is different.

+ I'm contemplating in letting his skin bunch up where the horns penetrates from. No, that detail isn't in any of his concepts, but that's just go give a sense of realism to make him look like an up-to-date dragon since we live in a world seeking out high details. In short, I'm see this project as a happy medium of
    bring back an old character, while carrying the essence of previous design with
    today's detailing.

spyro_update_zps4fdc6a3e.jpg

Also I will like to thank you both JadeeyePanda and Hero of Bagels for the aid.