Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sci-fi theatre environment UE4

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
ThinkKlinck polycounter lvl 8
Hey all, been working on this for a while and here's where I'm at right now.

IBldgH.jpg

Here's the original reference.

69174ca53445afa3c27a742f6f1d9935.jpg

The overall feel I am working towards is going to be a kind of religious worship center.

Stuff I'm currently working on, finishing texturing on ceiling, upper wall panels, floor, and center pieces.

Stuff I wanna do but could really use advice on, coming down into the center piece I am going to make the light beam more of a cone coming down kind of a "heavenly" thing being harnessed and put into the room. I also want some heavenly particle effects also coming through the ceiling and would appreciate any resources you might have on creating something like that. I looked at the particle systems and some pre-existing ones in UE4 and I wasn't able to really morph ones into what I'm looking to do. I also wanna make some kind of hologram panels in front of each seat but I think I know how to approach those.

Any CC is welcome and wanted, but specifically what do you think of the material choices? Making it more a religiousy feeling space I wanted to work with some smooth plastics matched with bronzey metallics almost referencing church organs with large pipes coming out of them.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Numbtea
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Liking it man, keep it up :D!
  • sloppymess
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sloppymess polycounter lvl 8
    This is looking really sick!
  • SomethingFishy
    Looking great ThinkKlinck! I like the solid beam you have coming down and adding a cone of heavenly light around it would help push it further.

I had a scene awhile ago where I made an asset with kind of the same thought in mind.

What I'd suggest to make your heavenly light beam is to first fit a cone that runs from the ceiling to the floor. Make the top diameter of the cone fill as much of the ceiling opening as possible and adjust the bottom diameter as you see fit. UV it as if it were a rectangle Just straight up and down. Make it so the UVs by the ceiling are on top of the map and UVs by the floor are on the bottom of the map.

Next, your textures. Make a diffuse map (let's call it texture one) that is similar in color to the lighting in your scene, speckle the texture a bit with spots slightly darker and brighter than the base color. Give this texture an alpha that makes it so it's barley visible (making the speckles slightly more visible)

Next step, in a new texture map, make a gradient map that goes white to black, white on top and black on bottom. You may want to play around with this gradient depending how quickly you want your light to fade out.

Now jump into UE4. In the material editor. Make the material transparent. Plug texture one into your emissive channel. Add a panner to this texture so it moves down.
    Next add your texture one alpha and your gradient map together. Plug this into your alpha channel.

When all is said and done it'll give you the effect of a cone of light coming in through the ceiling and fading out as it reaches the floor. With the panner on texture one it will give the impression that dust it floating in the air.

If I got confusing let me know and I'll post some pictures over the weekend to show you what I mean.
  • ThinkKlinck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks all!

@somethingfishy, I think I got what your saying, and will give it a go.

Also this may take a week or so to advance in any meaningful way seeing as I have to finish up a major group project the next few days, and then thanksgiving, but stay tuned!
  • Nuclear Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nuclear Angel polycounter
    It is looking really good, but here is a personal preference. Remove the lights from the backs of the chairs, I thought they were helmets at first and they are also drawing a lot of attention. Also why would you want a light at the back of a chair? That would just ruin the experience for the people behind you.

But that is just my opinion, so do with it what you wish =). Also do the light beam thing, it would really help the piece a lot. Good job! ^^
  • ThinkKlinck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey all, thanks for the help and crits! I think I'm calling this one done for now. I was gonna add some scifi kind of hologram banners on the side but that felt to busy when I tried it out. And the light beam became a kind of electric beam ray, uploading the video to youtube now, will post once its done! Thanks again!

SUDJAev.jpg
  • ThinkKlinck