Home General Discussion

How do you classify hundreds of saved images?

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
daniellooartist polycounter lvl 11
Hello everyone. I'm doing some cleanup on my computer. To say that reference folder is completely trashed and devoid of any order would be an understatement. I understand that a lot of artist save inspirational images to your hard drive as well. How do you guys like to keep your own library organized? For example, a friend of mine organizes his by Era > Style > Type. For example, Sc-Fi>Photoreal>Gun. This seems reasonable for me, but how do you guys choose to organize your reference library?

I've noticed that the fewer “levels” deep one's folders are, the less of a click hassle and more intuitive it is to categorize. However, the tradeoff is that it becomes very difficult to locate specific types of references. Would you agree, or do you have a different philosophy?

What are your guy's thoughts on Adobe Bridge or other similar tagging software? How about websites like Pinterest?

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's my latest folder setup, but this is only the stuff I've saved off in the last couple years or so.

One thing I like to do, whenever possible, is to add the artist's name as a prefix to the file name. Makes it easier to find the source if needed later. But reverse image search is making that a bit obsolete.

eu3W0oq.png
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reverse image search, in case you haven't seen it. Really great for finding the source of an image.
    http://www.google.com/insidesearch/features/images/searchbyimage.html
  • daniellooartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daniellooartist polycounter lvl 11
    I see you use the naming convention to group things. I do this with all the files in my projects. Example, difMetalRusted.tga, nrmMetalRusted.tga, aoMetalRusted.tga, meshWall.fbx and so forth. I'm happy to see that it has been working for you for years.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I prefer to add those as suffixes, soilpebbles_n, soilpebbles_s, etc. That way all the "like" files are listed together.

Pinterest is great, but I've been burned too many times by link rot, things disappearing off the web because someone redesigns their site, or moves urls, or whatever. The web is so temporal. If I want to save something, I either use my HDD or I upload to the Polycount wiki.

Do a forum search, people have discussed file org in the past, lots of good tips...
  • Chimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    I do:

filename: descriptive title + (style) + type of thing + by artist

so

trident (hand painted) weapon by brick tamland.jpg
    or
    a whale's vagina (realism) character by ronald JA burgundy.png
    or
    san diego zoo (stylised realism) environment by wes mantooth.gif

my ref folder has these sub folders:

environment art
    character art
    concept art
    photography
    FX
    Unsorted

stuff generally gets dumped into unsorted cos I'm a lazy bastard, I move them into their folders at the end of the week.

If there is a game or film or whatever that I particularly like, it gets its own folder - some of these tend to have dumps of lots of screenshots that I haven't got around to naming properly yet, but being in their own folder means I can get to them quickly enough.
  • Teessider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Teessider polycounter lvl 11
    this is something I've been meaning to do recently. It's intriguing to see how other people organise their references :)
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    I used to organize my files in a similar fashion, but In the end I felt it was too time consuming, and just saving a picture became somewhat a commitment and a hassle.

so now I just drag drop shit like a crazy person all day:poly115:

goolge image search is the shit for reverse enginere where the picture came from.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    I gave up on using folders and naming conventions for my reference folder. It got confusing when an image could have easily belonged to any number of categories.

Instead I downloaded Windows Photo Gallery and spent 2-3 nights going through and just tagging every image I had saved with as many relevant tags as I could (thankfully it kept track of previously used tags). As a result of that investment I can now just open my main reference folder with Windows Explorer, type in whatever tag I'm looking for, and have the images sorted almost instantly. The more tags used, the more specific the results.
  • Joltya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joltya polycounter lvl 10
    I use Pinterest. It's freaking awesome. The only thing that was weird when I started was setting up a solid organization method. I use a lot of prefixes for my boards (for example, reference is REF: x). Here's how I have it set up.

http://www.pinterest.com/j0ltzer0/
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid wrote: »
    I gave up on using folders and naming conventions for my reference folder. It got confusing when an image could have easily belonged to any number of categories.

Instead I downloaded Windows Photo Gallery and spent 2-3 nights going through and just tagging every image I had saved with as many relevant tags as I could (thankfully it kept track of previously used tags). As a result of that investment I can now just open my main reference folder with Windows Explorer, type in whatever tag I'm looking for, and have the images sorted almost instantly. The more tags used, the more specific the results.

I have thought about doing this multiple times but never pulled the trigger. Many people use ACDSee here at work to organize their images. I have heard of people using Adobe Bridge too. How are those tags saved in WPG? Does it modify the files at all? Can you export some sort of index if you need to re install or something?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not sure how ACDSee does it, but in XnView you can press Ctrl D to edit tags, and it stores a "descript.ion" plain text file in each folder, with a line for each file... filename followed by tags.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    nyx702 wrote: »
    How are those tags saved in WPG? Does it modify the files at all? Can you export some sort of index if you need to re install or something?

I'll have to check to see how/where the tags are saved. All my images are saved to One Drive, which has so far preserved all the tags between my computers. It might just be a Windows thing that tags the files themselves.

Edit: (I sound like a Microsoft shill, but honestly it is a pretty convenient setup since its all built in and included with the OS)
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    I was thinking about doing that for ages as well, however I'm using XnView and I was thinking to do that, but the problem is when you decide to move that file to another folder, wouldn't have to redo the whole tag thing again?
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    Folders and folders within folders, that's the easy way.
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    I thought about doing this just last night as I was sifting through images for reference. The more organized you are the more you rule out the random factors though. I use just a couple of folders atm:
    anatomy (just mostly models without textures that have something special)
    characters2d (mostly concept work and even comic book pencil drawings)
    characters3d (work with a particular quality even if it is only an impressive single element)
    graphic_des
    photos
    scenes
    vehicles
    weapons
    scenes

Searching through a general folder can give inspiration on more than just a figure it can give a spark to the whole look. I add stuff to the folders regularly, but also throw out images that no longer seem special as well. I figure if I want something specific then I use google for a refined search. I also use XnView which displays png files too.
  • SonicBlue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SonicBlue polycounter lvl 10
    FenrirFS, don't forget to create a new Profile and change its behaviour on Environment Settings-->Drop Operation.