SCAR-L

doomprodigy
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
doomprodigy polycounter lvl 5
LATEST:
aaron-lewis-scarl.jpg?1418298260

ORIGINAL:
Decided to create a gun for my portfolio to show hard surface techniques, working from reference etc. I picked the FN SCAR-L as I like the design. Currently working on the high poly I've got it nearly completed, just wanted to post and get some critique on it before I go ahead and create my low poly.

I've searched the internet high and low for as good reference as I could get, just want some confirmation from you guys as to if I've missed anything or not.
oDh38fb.png

Rest of the normal map detail I'll create in PS, (Numbers etc)

C&C Please :)

Replies

• doomprodigy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been finishing this up if anyone was interested. Currently working through texturing the lowpoly. Here's my current progress and a shot of my LP wireframe. Trying to get the material definition accurate between the alluminum and polymer.

wZQ35W9.png
    J32dceW.png
  • Drgreenethumb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drgreenethumb polycounter lvl 9
    Looks really great! would love to see a first person view of this. The only real question i have for this is why did not make the holes have geo on the front part of the hand guard. I think that could really add to this in the low poly.
  • Kaine123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kaine123 polycounter lvl 10
    Are you using Toolbag 2 to preview this? I'd suggest adding a few scene lights to get more interesting lighting for your model, that way it may be easier to judge the material. Also I would turn the gloss up in both the metal and polymer up a fair bit. It might be a good idea to also try to give the wear and other material details a fair bit more contrast so it "pops" more. At the moment the rifle looks like it's a diffuse only material and it doesn't feel very "dynamic."
  • Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 11
    Looks cool but one suggestion:
    ovp6vkha.png
    I would make the chamfer bigger.
    Anway, looks great :)
  • GrungyStudios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GrungyStudios polycounter lvl 8
    Good modeling and base texture here but i can barely tell if theres even a spec/gloss map on this, it appears to be flat. The muzzle is the only place where i see some spec. Although it could just be the lighting but Look at this picture
    P1020661.jpg

You can really see that some parts have a good amount of spec and gloss on them.
  • doomprodigy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @GrungyStudios & @Kaine123
    Thanks for the feedback, I've adjusted my lighting, gloss and albedo hopefully the materials work better now. I'll add some wear in once I've got them nailed down :)
    WsIyEfv.png
    bmQqSgP.png
    @Gazu
    Probably wont change the poly count on the stock end to make it less blocky due to it never being in view.

@Drgreenethumb Here's a first person capture. I didn't model the holes on the lowpoly due to polycount and that I didn't think they affected the silhouette enough to require them
    xUyXSbw.png

Thanks for the feedback, keep it coming :)
  • doomprodigy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    New update, still defining materials better. Started working on some wear. I think it's starting to come together finally :)

QMBGDAu.png
  • Kaine123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kaine123 polycounter lvl 10
    Still too matte overall, but the grime/damage is definitely helping bring out the material.
  • doomprodigy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Decided to go with a black version of it. I find it also helps with getting my values more accurate. What do you all think now?

biDsrWB.png
  • GrungyStudios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GrungyStudios polycounter lvl 8
    Major improvements here bud, honestly looks spectacular now. Your materials are reading excellent. I like the black as well! Don't have any crits for this anymore, nailed it. Nice work. I would like to see some angled renders of it :P
  • Dave3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dave3d polycounter lvl 8
    looking really nice! love the gloss variation you have going on the stock.
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Major improvements here bud, honestly looks spectacular now. Your materials are reading excellent. I like the black as well! Don't have any crits for this anymore, nailed it. Nice work. I would like to see some angled renders of it :P

Im sorry but its a step back. The previous one had correctly reading materials across the board. The quality of the edge wear and general surface noise could be improved with more small scale variation (plus the render could be better and softer edges and more polys would have improved the weapon in general) but the new one is just a "Shiny = cool, right?" type of thing, and most mayor parts look incorrect and way too glossy. The Scar is a very matte gun, it was a little too matte before for the yellow plastic, but very close.

It was good like it was before, the values were all pretty spot on. Just work on your edge definition and put more variation on the surfaces and add some rougher places and maybe more contrast in the gloss. Remember edge wear is on places that would see a lot of friction. The black spots on your reciever are often at places where it would never get worn off per example.
  • doomprodigy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike wrote: »
    Im sorry but its a step back. The previous one had correctly reading materials across the board. The quality of the edge wear and general surface noise could be improved with more small scale variation (plus the render could be better and softer edges and more polys would have improved the weapon in general) but the new one is just a "Shiny = cool, right?" type of thing, and most mayor parts look incorrect and way too glossy. The Scar is a very matte gun, it was a little too matte before for the yellow plastic, but very close.

It was good like it was before, the values were all pretty spot on. Just work on your edge definition and put more variation on the surfaces and add some rougher places and maybe more contrast in the gloss. Remember edge wear is on places that would see a lot of friction. The black spots on your reciever are often at places where it would never get worn off per example.

Taken what you said into consideration, guess I was going in a backwards direction a little. Here's what I've gone back to, still keeping the black though. Also started with a base layer of scratching on the magazine.

KvK54ML.png

Thank's GrungyStudios and Dave3d for your comments, it's definitely starting to get there. Really want to get the gloss/spec maps sorted then Its really down to me painting on masks for my wear. Values are what's important for me.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Why did you decide to change colors on the weapon?
  • AlexRodriguez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexRodriguez polycounter lvl 6
    True I like the original color scheme as it iconic to the Scar-L and it shows off more of the modeling with the brighter colors (since the ScarL is one of the easier guns to make it would be great to make it iconic). Overall the black makes it look like a standard gun you see pop up all over the place with the black metal

http://photos.imageevent.com/smglee/ss10/huge/P1020661.jpg

^^ That color scheme just makes it look badass
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, that color scheme with all the diferent color variations looks super cool
  • doomprodigy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for your comments :)

I'll do a test reverting it to the original colour scheme tonight. I originally went with black as I was hoping it would make it easier getting my spec and gloss maps more accurate to the materials which I think I have pretty close/accurate now. What do you all think on the spec/gloss as it is now?
  • doomprodigy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone whose been commenting. I haven't worked on the SCAR-L in awhile and it's reached the stage where I needed to call it finished and move onto whatever's next. Few mishaps I'd fix next time around with accuracy, where I've used polygons and my overall approach to hard surface modeling in general. Learned a bunch about PBR and look forward to tackling my next project. Thanks to everyone whose commented and critiqued love the help :)
    aaron-lewis-scarl.jpg?1418298260
    aaron-lewis-scarl2.jpg?1418298209