Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Office Scene

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
Hello all,

I figured I'd share with you some early early work that I've been doing in creating an office scene. For purposes of widening my portfolio, I've decided to focus on a project that sort of heads in the opposite direction of my last piece (village with hand painted textures, versus modern office setting using photo-based textures)

Basically alot of masking, messing around with layer settings, mixing different references, texture brushes, etc. in photoshop, with a bit of normal work being done in ndo2 and maybe Zbrush if a certain object requires it.

I'm still in sort of the idea phase, testing different shapes and elements out as I go while glancing at various sources. It may be a semi-clean office with it's own company brand (subtle dirt and scratches like where the monitor might of been pushed on the desk, dust/stains subtly put in the color map and roughness map etc) Currently I'm working on some of the furniture and smaller props to use as a basis for when I begin to think more about the architecture.

I may or may not make it a little bit more distressed of an environment as I go further along, as I may get bored and decide a zombie apocalypse is in order :)

Here's some preliminary screenshots. I'm currently using marmoset toolbag 2 to test things out quickly as I work on the textures and modeling, and will bring it into the Unreal Engine 4 as things become further developed.
xMp47kj.jpg
BFP6H4A.jpg
Early textures
BziVFDe.jpg
Desk test (going to get updated with more geometry+texture work)
H7PRgYr.jpg
Simple scene used for modeling and testing how they're looking together to help remain consistant
JLPx8kA.jpg
yW53uRC.jpg
And started a tiny bit of work on the pencil material before bed. (mostly just making the base values for the roughness, color, and metal + some work done in ndo2 for the metal trim normal.

It might not look like much now but hopefully posting it on polycount will help motivate me to work on it each night :)

Replies

• pmiller001
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    I love your enviroments el friendo! Hopefully you get around to finishing this :D
  • Deathstick
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the kind words!

I haven't worked on it in awhile but you inspired me to quit watching 3 hours of sons of anarchy after work and work! Well.. maybe I can still squeeze in one episode ;)

Still have a waaaays to go (models and textures in various stages of refinement, UVs needing to be done properly/trims, fix the UV stretching on the walls, etc.) but I figured I might as well post anyways. I'll be adding in some more details to the normals of the desktops for example (namely back and sides), add some more detail to the desks and texture it, do another pass on the monitors, finish writing all of the letters on the keyboards (who would of thought placing each letter in photoshop was going to take awhile/cripple the hands :) ), etc.

I'm thinking of opening the space up a bit more or continuing it. The right side will probably be mostly composed of large glass windows (whether it's going to be street level, suburban, or a high-level office complex outside who knows, although I'd like to add in some trees so maybe street level/2nd floor..) If all goes well I might add in a kitchen complete with birthday cake, but let's not get ahead of ourselves :D

I've been sort of going back and forth between whether or not I should model in some actual wires via spline modeling to connect the monitors, keyboards, and mice to the desktops. The current part holding me back on that is wire models might cut back on the flexibility of placement if this were theoretically passed off to a level designer.

Anyways, back to work!
    TfaHecY.jpg
    Crd79iZ.jpg
    oTwdJ39.jpg

Eneww8j.jpg
    I'll probably make a couple of cd/dvd cases or external hard drives to break up the silhouettes on the tops of some of these desktops. Coffee cups everywhere might be overusing it :)
  • Tobbo
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    This is pretty cool. I really like the carpet and the lighting.

The wall texture looks a little low res, scaled up, and possibly a bit too strong on the normal map. It's drawing unnecessary attention to itself.

Overall though this is looking pretty solid.
  • Deathstick
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the feedback, I've got some more work done on the office that I'll post as soon as I tidy some things up.

Worked on texturing a simple phone last night in photoshop and substance painter which was pretty fun! Still have a few things to do to it I think and then model in a base holder.

sujH5CD.jpg