Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

A Station Adrift (UE4)

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
NickGW polycounter lvl 7
It's about time I started posting something new, so lets get started with the concept I'm working from.

Concept.jpg

Now that I have a block out and some lighting done I'm going to move forward with texturing. This is going to be my first big push into PBR so I'm gonna really push getting that right up front while also working with layered materials in UE4. I have a few shots so far to give an idea of the space I'm working with. My goal is to create the sense of abrupt abandonment/disappearance and the passage of time, without using decay, rust and things falling apart. To accomplish this I'll have parts iced over and as I'll describe for one of the shots below, the growth of some plant life.

One thing I already feel like I need to change is the saturation in the lighting. Any feedback on the compositions, lighting, my goals or anything else is greatly appreciated. Now onto the screenshots!

Screenshot_001.jpg

Some of the metal pipes will show heavy frosting and freezing, and in some cases I'll have icicles hanging down. The only spot where this wont be the case entirely is the entrance to the hydroponics tube. As the pipes enter the wall the ice will have started melting and dripping onto the stairs below.

Screenshot_002.jpg

Here I'll have an opening in the floor with a ladder coming out the top, suggesting some sort of maintenance entrance. Tools and other things will be laid about near it.

Screenshot_003.jpg

This is maybe a bit of a Kubrick reference with the one point perspective, but I'll have frost going up the shaft in the ceiling and ice/frost around that area, maybe even a bit of water pooling on the ground below.

Screenshot_004.jpg

This image is of a hallway hydroponics tube which will have plants that produce oxygen behind glass enclosures going all around the tube. Near the entrance to the tube will have broken glass with vines and growth moving out of it onto the stairs. If anyones seen the movie Sunshine you'll have an idea of what I'm going for.

Screenshot_005.jpg

I don't think I'll end up using this one. It covers most of what the first one does and with the hologram above the projector on the floor I'm not sure it would work very well. I'll see once I add the hologram.

Replies

• Poinball
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Poinball polycounter lvl 6
    I Really like this style !
    Can't wait to see more !
  • NickGW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NickGW polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks Poinball, I'm going to do my best to keep things updated every week. I've already received some feedback about the saturation in the lighting/post processing.
  • wdcstudios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wdcstudios polycounter lvl 8
    Can't wait to see this come together. I think your compositions work but I would just make sure #2 has a strong focal point, maybe something glowing in the dark left corner. That said I'm no expert so take that with a grain of salt.
  • RILKE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RILKE polycounter lvl 12
    I love this, cant wait to see more!
  • Auldbenkenobi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Auldbenkenobi polycounter lvl 11
    Out of curiosity, this is something I've always wondered, when you're blocking out the scene, how do you approach setting up the lighting? I've yet to find a workflow that lets me do it properly without having to unwrap blockout models.
  • NickGW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NickGW polycounter lvl 7
    @wdcstudios: Yeah I agree with there needing to be something at the end of #2. Below I mentioned putting a ladder going into the floor as some kind of maintenance shaft. However I was thinking that might be in the foreground instead of the background. Although I might put a computer or work station of some sort with a lit screen instead and have that in the back corner.

@RILKE: Thanks!

@Auldbenkenobi: I'm using dynamic lighting so I didn't worry about lightmaps, but I was getting a lot of strange light leaking in spots so I ended up unwrapping everything really quickly anyways. This is my first interior lighting scene in UE4 so I don't have a perfect workflow yet. In the past I'd do a blockout, quickly UV so I can get decent lighmap bakes and just let it go from there. Most of the models I use for a blockout are just proxy models as it is so I don't want to spend too much time with them. I hope that helps!
  • Auldbenkenobi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Auldbenkenobi polycounter lvl 11
    Ah, interesting, I'll keep that in mind from now on then. I've always been a bit confused at to a good work flow for it, considering getting a good lightmap can take some time.
  • NickGW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NickGW polycounter lvl 7
    A quick update from this weekend. The layered material workflow is very straightforward and I like the ease of working with it. I'm a little concerned I won't be able to get the best possible results, but I'll see how things go as I move forward with the project.

Screenshot_006.jpg

Screenshot_007.jpg
  • GrungyStudios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GrungyStudios polycounter lvl 8
    Building out really nice.
  • NickGW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NickGW polycounter lvl 7
    Here's the end result after a long delay (school got in the way). I'm really happy with how things came together in the end even after not touching it for over month. I'd appreciate any feedback on anything that sticks out to anyone and on which shots people like the most. I already have a few in mind but a fresh set of eyes and perspective will be very helpful. Thanks!

ScreenShot00013.jpg

ScreenShot00014.jpg

ScreenShot00015.jpg

ScreenShot00016.jpg

ScreenShot00017.jpg

ScreenShot00018.jpg

ScreenShot00019.jpg

ScreenShot00020.jpg

ScreenShot00021.jpg