Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Destiny Speeder Bike - Shrike

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Damian Nachman polycounter lvl 6
After farming for spinmetal, I started working on a Shrike.
High poly is pretty much done, though I'll probably add a little bit more detail before moving on to the low poly.

ibr0MuhALOHero.png
iboZxtLpjgXJSJ.png

Replies

• Damian Nachman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lowpoly is done, and textures are almost finished.
    Came down to 7,118 Tris, and a set of 2K textures.
    ibsn3q2mp3osZL.png
    iwYAHgEVbusRW.png
  • martinszeme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    martinszeme polycounter lvl 8
    I like it. Nothing to crit really. I'd say it would be cool to have some exhaust/fire coming from the back of the jet engine though. But apart from that good job.
  • Mik2121
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mik2121 polycounter lvl 9
    Looking pretty neat. However for a 7000 polygons mesh, the front looks fairly low-poly. I would probably add a bit more geometry.
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    Yeah, I think there aren't enough polygons. People are going to look at this and think it is nice game art from 5 years ago. I think about 20k would be good for this model.

Almost everything round could use more segments and the round bars in the front and behind the pilot could be a lot smoother. You should also try and get some of that paneling detail on that very large flat surfaces into your lowpoly model.
  • Damian Nachman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like it. Nothing to crit really. I'd say it would be cool to have some exhaust/fire coming from the back of the jet engine though. But apart from that good job.

Thanks mate. That's a neat idea!
    I Don't have alot of experience with particle effects, so I'll look into it.
    How should I approach this? Model a jet stream, or perhaps just add it in post?
    Looking pretty neat. However for a 7000 polygons mesh, the front looks fairly low-poly. I would probably add a bit more geometry.

Glad you like it!
    That's 7000 Tris, not polys, though. So polycount is around 3500.
    Pretty low, but I actualy matched the high poly sillouhette perfectly.
    If it looks too low poly, then I probably should go back to the High Poly and make it a little bit more round.
    I've become a little too strict when it comes to optimization, So I end up making models a ittle bit too angular, instead of letting them smooth curves flow.
    I'll keep that in mind!
    You should also try and get some of that paneling detail on that very large flat surfaces into your lowpoly model.

I've actually baked all the detail from the high poly into the low poly. (And added a little bit of extra detail with Ndo).
    Do you think I should add a little bit more paneling?
    I'm abit hesitant, since I don't want to noisey up the design too much.
  • AlexJWhite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As others have said I do feel that this model is a bit too low poly. As a a lowest LoD this is perfect, but up close the edges feel too sharp, so at minimum you need to get some bevels on so that the shapes flow around the vehicle more.

Fantastic bake by the way.
  • martinszeme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    martinszeme polycounter lvl 8
    You could just model the stream with some cylindrical shape and alpha applied to it.
  • Damian Nachman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexJWhite wrote: »
    As others have said I do feel that this model is a bit too low poly. As a a lowest LoD this is perfect, but up close the edges feel too sharp, so at minimum you need to get some bevels on so that the shapes flow around the vehicle more.

Fantastic bake by the way.

I've textured the asset using Substance Desinger, so I can easily rework the model and then re-apply the textures.
    Guess I'll go back to the highpoly and make it rounder and a little bit more streamlined.
    Thanks for the help!
    You could just model the stream with some cylindrical shape and alpha applied to it.

Cool idea! I think I'll utilize some Toolbag 2 Heat maps.