Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Jean-Pascal Anatomy Practice Thread

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Jean-Pascal polycounter lvl 5
I decided to take a couple of hours everyday to really go through my anatomy books (who needs sleep anyway, right? :)).

I'm starting by sculpting the face and I'll keep working on it until it is "portfolio worthy". Then I'll move on to another part of the body and do the same thing. Since I'll be working on this in my free time, it's gonna take a while to complete, but I'm sure it's gonna be worth it!

All your comments, critiques, draw-overs, etc., will be really really appreciated! Hit me with all you got!

Here we go! :eek:

Replies

• Jean-Pascal
    Offline / Send Message
    Update 1:

Zbrush screencaps:
    2elruwx.jpg

Same head, taken from marmoset with a simple skin shader:
    2edb2aq.jpg

1t2b8j.jpg
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Looks great for a start! I would suggest scaling up the actual head some. the face is really big compared to the rest of thing.

Made a quick Paintover, hope u dont mind :)
    oy2pyHj.jpg
  • Jean-Pascal
    Offline / Send Message
    @lotet: Thanks man! I don't mind the paintover at all, it's always appreciated! :)

Following your critique, I did a draw-over as well (using gray's anatomy skull as a reference). Seems like I'm laking some mass (mainly in the forehead region). I do agree that the neck needs to be thicker as well.

Here are the proportion changes that I'll be aiming for in my next update (if anything else seems wrong to you, feel free to mention it!) :
    2lwncp0.jpg
  • Jean-Pascal
    Offline / Send Message
    Update 2:
    I think it's coming along nicely, especially from the front and 3/4 view. Something is bugging me on the side view but I can't put my finger on it at the moment.... any ideas?

With perspective on:
    4ftq9g.jpg

Edit: He was getting too "bulky", so I reduced the thickness of the neck. I also made is jaw less "square", and I refined the planes of the jaw/cheek.

2uylr42.jpg
  • Jean-Pascal
    Offline / Send Message
    Update 3: Still refining the major forms

2mg8dva.jpg
  • Jean-Pascal
    Offline / Send Message
    Update 4: More refinement before going to bed. I need a second pair of eyes, C+C welcome!

1fd8xs.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    It's the top of his cranium that bugs me the most from sideview. That and the transition from his lower lips to his chin.
  • Jean-Pascal
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey PyrZern, thanks for your help! I was busy during the last few days, but I finally had free time to improve the sculpt tonight and correct the problems you mentionned as well. What do you think?

Edit: I just noticed the zygomatic arch is going to high (near the ear). Not sure what happened haha. It's gonna be fixed in the next update.

Update 5:

without perspective
    qsuwxj.jpg

with perspective:
    30t2934.jpg
  • razz
    Offline / Send Message
    razz polycounter lvl 9
    Hey Pascal. Nice improvement here. The head looks a bit cartoony to me, not sure if you're aiming for that. What I would do is get a ton of reference and work on different parts (eyes, nose, lips, ear) separately, while still keeping an eye on the overall look. I've also invested in Grasetti's gumroad tutorials about anatomy, which were quite nice. He doesn't go over bones and muscles in depth, but talks more about the shape and form to help out when sculpting. Then again, he makes it look so easy.
  • Jean-Pascal
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey razz, thank you! I do agree that my previous updates looked cartoony. I was mainly trying to find the planes of the head at this point. Moving forward, I intend to achieve a more realistic result though, so I'll definitly stick closer to real-life references!

I invested in a couple of gumroad tutorials as well during the last couple of weeks (Grassetti's pack being one of them). I wish it would be more in-depth, but there's definitly some nice tips and tricks.

Oh, and I have some free time tonight, so there should be another update coming up :)
  • Jean-Pascal
    Offline / Send Message
    Update 6: Retopology and UV completed. Highpoly and maps still WIP.

xgbaxt.jpg
  • razz
    Offline / Send Message
    razz polycounter lvl 9
    Nice improvement! Needs some wrinkles on the neck, but you did say highpoly is still wip, so I guess that's all to come.
  • Jean-Pascal
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks razz! Yes, that's definitly gonna be added in an upcoming update. :)

Update 7:

What do you think guys? Don't be afraid to chime in. Some feedback would be appreciated! :)

Ps: the hair are very w.i.p. at the moment. They will serve as a guide for my hair cards.

flfzhi.jpg
  • theStoff
    Offline / Send Message
    theStoff greentooth
    Very well sculpted. There isn't much to say but maybe you could try some asymmetry? I also think some parts of the ear are a bit thin/sharp but that may just be something I'm seeing. You could also maybe add some more fine wrinkles around the eyes. Either way good job!
  • Chris Kuhner
    Offline / Send Message
    Chris Kuhner polycounter lvl 6
    Great progress so far. My main crit would be that some of your shapes in the forehead and browline are taking a rather puffy form when in fact the skin should have more tension as it stretches across the face.

Keep it going man. The results you're getting are worth it. :)
  • Jean-Pascal
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback kosh and chris! I didn't worked on the head since my last update, but once I do, I'll be sure to fix those issues and add more assymetry!

Update 8: What started as an anatomy study is now becoming a complete character (post-apocalyptic survivor). I got the body gesture and the main clothes blocked in. As always, any feedback is highly appreciated!

fm6p11.jpg
  • erroldynamic
    Offline / Send Message
    erroldynamic polycounter lvl 18
    This is looking really cool. Are you using Marvelous Designer for the clothes? Solid work so far, looking forward to seeing more.
  • Stirls
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
    If that's MD, you really need to bulk it out a bit. Look at the pressure and thickness sliders. If you're using the latest MD, you can copy layers and then create two sides, increasing the overall density and thickness of the mesh.
  • Elithenia
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter
    Oh I like this idea.. might start doing the same to learn. Always need to work on anatomy.
    I like how this turned out like a project for you though!