Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Fill Him With Organs!

I'm working on a sculpt for medical renders. I'll be making all the major organs and systems as time allows.

I have the liver so far. Livers are way more complex on the underside than I thought! Eventually, I want the final version to render out like the second image, but I have no idea how to go about it yet.

Crits on anything are always welcome. Cheers!

Liver.png

LiverInside.png

Dude.png

Replies

• DWalker
    This is a bit old, but seems to be almost exactly what you're looking for: http://http.developer.nvidia.com/GPUGems/gpugems_ch39.html, so it should be a good starting point.
  • Waterbear
    Oh cool! I'll glanced over it and it seems very intimidating. I'll give it a thorough read though and start from there.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    I am wondering, during this endeavor, what skills bleed out from this particular practice of anatomy.
  • Waterbear
    JadeEyePanda, I'm not sure what you mean?
  • pmiller001
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    I think he means, what do you gain from doing this.
  • Waterbear
    Oh, mostly practice. Also, I'm learning a lot about anatomy. Dynamesh and remeshing too.
  • Shiniku
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    Plus, stuff like this is used all the time. Dunno if you want a job in medical rendering or whatever, but there are some well-paying gigs out there.

Anyway, sounds like a fun project! I'll be keeping an eye on this thread. Also, I didn't know that's what a liver looked like.
  • Waterbear
    Medical is where the money lives. :)

I wouldn't mind doing medical related work. It's interesting and the stuff in our bodies look a lot different than I thought it looked. I started on the lungs today. Did you know one lung is shaped differently than the other? I had no idea!
  • JnasconeArt
    Offline / Send Message
    JnasconeArt polycounter lvl 10
    help.jpg
    Waterbear, first off its always good to do this kinda of anatomy stuff so good for you! There are a few ambiguous area's that you are attempting to define, but come off muddled. One area I noticed off the bat was the area of the serratus anterior and how it interacts with the external oblique as well as how the latissimus dorsi overlaps. I did a quick paint over to show what I"m saying, and I hope it helps. the serratus should have a more rounded form, and when it intersects with the external oblique it should then start to flatten out. Get that area in general more defined and figured out. I hope this helps a bit.
  • Waterbear
    That is extremely helpful! I will work on laying those in today. Thank you so much for such a nice paint over. I have a question for anyone who has tackled this before.

How do you soften this area up, and do it well?

Once you lay down all the muscles, do you go over it with some like the Clay brush on a low intensity? Do you hit it with a Smooth brush? Some other technique?

I am having a terrible time at adding softness and a more natural look to this guy.

Thanks!
  • JnasconeArt
    Offline / Send Message
    JnasconeArt polycounter lvl 10
    Np. For me I have always liked using the "clay buildup" brush but at a low Z intensity of like 10. Then I sweep back and forth over the geo to get the desired shape. Smoothing out also at a low opacity is good, and sculpting/smoothing at a lower subdivision, utilizing masks is key imo.
  • Waterbear
    OK great. I will be giving that a shot. In the meantime, I have the first pass on the lungs.

Lung.png

LiverLungs.png
  • Waterbear
    I'm confused as hell by the rectus abdominis. In the paint over above they kind of go down and make the little S curve, which I've heard is correct. It looked strange in the front so I got this image of a cadaver. How do the 2 relate? Is the white tissue hiding parts?

Thanks!

cadaver_internal_abdominal_oblique1366917852002.jpg

Anyways, I have pressed on an created this. What do people think? I still want it softer but it's a start.

TorsoSS.png
  • MattyWS
    Offline / Send Message
    MattyWS polycounter lvl 11
    I am wondering, during this endeavor, what skills bleed out from this particular practice of anatomy.
    Could get a job creating the next Mortal Kombat or Sniper Elite game if not going into medical. :P
  • DWalker
    It sort of depends on what you're after. At the moment, he's in improbably good shape. Consider the gold-standard for anatomical studies:
    Da_Vinci_Vitruvian_Man.jpg
    Or, for a slightly more modern reference:
    giMusclesTrunkGrayBB1219.gif
    They both used a young and relatively fit subject, but not necessarily somebody who meets the current concept of ideal.
  • Jedairusz
    Offline / Send Message
    Jedairusz polycounter lvl 13
    There are 16-20 cartilagines tracheales. Cartilagines occupy 2/3 to 3/4 of the circumference of the trachea. (not 1/2) Anyway this is great thread. Good luck!
  • Waterbear
    @ Jedairusz: 16- 20? Interesting. The variations in our bodies continue to fascinate me. Is it based on a person's height? I'll wrap them around more too thanks!

@ DWalker: Good call, I think I want something between the 2nd image and what I have, so I'll shoot for that. Thanks for the reference.
  • Mask_Salesman
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    Hmm I think your going about this backwards, if your making organs then start from the base; the skeleton and work outwards. Right now your starting with the exterior muscles, which are very inaccurate. This is going to have a large affect on the interior proportions and placement.
  • Waterbear
    So the full story of this project, is that I work for a medical company as a 2D artist. They heard I can do a bit of 3D and since I'm waiting for doctors to get back to me about 2D stuff, I have time to make them a 3D thing. They want a body and organs first, so that's the assignment.

What inaccuracies are there in the exterior muscles? I'll do my best to fix them. :)

Here's the latest for him

MaleAnatomy13.jpg