Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WoW Voidwalker Fan Art

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Eliteabix polycounter lvl 5
Hey guys, I've been working on a makeover for the much-loved (and very outdated) Voidwalker from World of Warcraft and would love some feedback/critique. fairly early stages of course, but there are a few areas I'm struggling with.

The neck for one; I really have no idea what to do with it and I cant find any reference from animals with as similar "set up", do I try make up muscle structure or do I leave it fairly "flat"? I'm also a little unsure about the length/size etc so ANY feedback on that is mucho appreciated.

Also the head/face is giving me trouble. The original Voidwalker has very little detail and so its hard to make out any of the features. I've been praying to our merciful god, Google, in the hopes that it returns some official art work but there is actually very little around apart from the images I've linked (which I have been using as much as possible).

I'm trying to keep this as faithful as possible, but obviously there's a lot of room for creative freedom as the original Voidwalker is like 5 polys with a 32px texture map (citation needed).

Current Wip
5jBOib2.png

Reference
nBSnqzc.jpg
5mcIH2q.jpg
t8pu5gx.jpg
QyrSqvZ.png

Replies

• Eliteabix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Small Update to the proportions. Widened chest, bigger arms and therefore, smaller head.

Would still love some feedback, guys :)

07f55fb0c4.png
  • TaylorMouse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TaylorMouse polycounter lvl 10
    Coming along really nice :)

T.
  • Eliteabix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks man!

gonna start spending some more time on this in the next few days so hopefully things will start moving. would still love some feedback haha.

095aa612d8.png
  • uohm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you still need animal reference for the neck I would suggest looking at the rhinoceros, the wildebeest, or even oxen.The anatomy looks good on the arms and chest, but starts to weaken at the neck and collar bone region. I'd recommend looking at the more ridiculously bulked up examples of the Hulk or Venom from Marvel comics for improving it.

I enjoy the detailing on the head as it gives it a rough, unformed look that I think is appropriate for a beastie made of ( what? smoke? Void?) Don't forget to give him fangs- without them the face looses character. You also need to start sharpening the finger tips.

Are you planning on giving him bracers or a cloak or armor? If so you should begin blocking them out sooner rather than later. I would also recommend spending some time roughing out his base before spending more time on the anatomy.

It can be really hard and frustrating to get good crits on this board, so just keep trying.
    Keep going- it's looking good.