Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Games Art Student Work

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
SrgFlamez polycounter lvl 7
Hi guys, i am currently progressing through the beginning of the second year of my games course and was wondering if you wouldn't mind giving me some critique about my work, and how to tackle certain modelling, digital painting and rigging tasks. I am going to try hard to post regularly for professional crit.

Thank you.

Replies

• SrgFlamez
    Offline / Send Message
    So I've decided to be a big boy and take on the challenge of modelling the Bane and Batman sewer fight scene from The Dark Knight Rises. The upper catwalk in the reference image I've provided looks like a good choice to me, but then again the floor is also as good.

Anything I could do?

4mbbD.jpg
  • Auldbenkenobi
    Offline / Send Message
    Auldbenkenobi polycounter lvl 11
    That reference doesn't show the floor very well.
  • SrgFlamez
    Offline / Send Message
    I apologize. Can you see it better with these ones?
    batman-bane-dark-knight-rises-luta-38.jpg
    batman-bane-christian-bale-tom-hardy-the-dark-knight-rises-fight.jpg

For the reference imaging I would need to take screenshots of the movie myself for reference.
  • beefaroni
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    I think at this point you just have to start trying some stuff out..

Try 4 versions of the floor with 4 different methods (alpha, a lot of tris, etc, etc) and see what looks the best.
  • SrgFlamez
    Offline / Send Message
    So I've made some progression on it starting from this morning, it's coming along quite good i guess. I think my biggest issue is scale. There isn't much reference other than the scene from the movie, so i only have that to go by honestly.
    As you can see below, the model is really low poly (I've included the Poly Count for further reference).

post-20407-0-64407800-1414077874.png
    post-20407-0-77127500-1414077460.png
  • SrgFlamez
    Offline / Send Message
    I apologise for not posting on here in a while, my work was lost shortly on the same day I started it due to hard drive failure. I have since started modelling a new scene from the movie Fast & Furious 6. It is Brian, Dom and Hobbs (Paul Walker, Vin Diesel and Dwayne Johnson) London safe house. I will post images of it soon.
  • SrgFlamez
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, so i have a quick update on my Hard Surface Modelling. I have modeled a majority of my scene without including the assets. Texturing may be my only issue besides normal maps. But following this post is my update. Again, apologies for the delays...
  • YakZSmelk
    Offline / Send Message
    YakZSmelk polycounter lvl 11
    Where's the update?

As for the project it might be wise to pick a different environment, the scene you picked is extremely dull. It worked well for the movie since that particular scene was focused only on the characters, but as a stand alone environment you won't be turning any heads without major additions.
  • SrgFlamez
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is the Entrance of the Fast & Furious 6 Safe House.
    post-20407-0-74428400-1417540591.png

Side View of the Elevator showing some of the modular assets....
    post-20407-0-10087200-1417540599.png

Most of the assets are modular, which allows me to quickly put my scene together. The Pillar and wall being the main ones.
    post-20407-0-56398000-1417540809.png

The wall is the most useful of all the assets if i have to be honest. It is the main piece needed to fully construct the room.
    post-20407-0-60689400-1417540828.png

The beams are modular as well, the only difference is that i need to add or remove rings from it to be able to reach the sides of the pillars.
    post-20407-0-34963200-1417541186.png

And this is most of the scene including the windows on the right. It just needs the ceiling, lights and assets before i can fully complete it.
    post-20407-0-58343300-1417541205.png
  • SrgFlamez
    Offline / Send Message
    It is all modeled at a really low level of polys too for speed purposes, They will be upped in res when i get on to the normals
  • SrgFlamez
    Offline / Send Message
    Apologies that i have neglected this forum thread. My main goal was to get critique for all the work I am trying to produce to get a job. I will start by posting my WIP of a Russian Military Vehicle, Gaz Tigr.
  • SrgFlamez
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll be uploading each stage of my model to what I have of it so far.

Stage 1:
    I quickly did a block out to blueprints of the Gaz Tigr and tried to keep the polycount to a minimum.
    post-20407-0-00599100-1444130492.png

Stage 2:
    Focusing on the front of the vehicle I tried to capture the shape of the Headlights and the front bumper.
    post-20407-0-49591500-1444130506.png

Stage 3:
    I started indenting the front to capture the headlights and the grill. I then cut out the windows towards the back of the vehicle. At this point I am trying to make separate pieces of the car i.e. the doors/windows/etc.
    post-20407-0-16189000-1444130516.png

Stage 4:
    By this stage I was able to capture the shape of both headlights. I then focused on cutting out the front window and the door on the side of the car.
    post-20407-0-41447700-1444130521.png

Stage 5:
    The roof has an accessible hatch, so I cut a hole in the model to replicate it.
    post-20407-0-07610800-1444130527.png

Stage 6:
    I decided to cut out the bonnet of the vehicle to make a separate model to not only make it easier to model, but so i could add a little love to the interior design including an engine.
    post-20407-0-09637800-1444130534.png

Stage 7:
    I have managed to model the bonnet and the door. The door had a window that was separate too so I cut into it to model the window base.
    post-20407-0-63680400-1444130538.png

Stage 8:
    I am currently at this stage. During this stage I modeled the back door adding an indent for where the door handle would be, following the designs of the blueprints. I also started on the wheels, all of the wheels are the same so I am looking at focusing on that, since it will be a modular asset to the vehicle.
    post-20407-0-09611600-1444130544.png
  • Cglewis
    Offline / Send Message
    Cglewis polycounter lvl 12
    Are you keeping it lo-poly for a reason?
    If you are trying to get a job in the games industry I would start putting all of your work in engine.
  • SrgFlamez
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes I am trying to get into the games industry.

I'm keeping the polycount low because of that reason, but I will be increasing the polycount after I block out the rest of the model so that I can add details to a smoother and more dense mesh.

I will also be looking to model a low poly interior so that I can show it off in engine, it's purpose is derived from my 3rd year project at the University of Hertfordshire
  • Cglewis
    Offline / Send Message
    to be honest you can greatly up the polycount of the vehicle, there are alot of details that are being lost because of your super lo poly approach.

Look at Destiny
    destiny-first-look-alpha_20140615115749.jpg

Forza 6
    news_e3_forza_6_direct_feed_60_fps_video-16772.jpg

Last of us
    6947132361_9860b84faa_o.jpg

all of the details of the cars are there in all of these screen shots you shouldn't have to skimp on details to make it game res.
    example:
    your head lights are hexagons, while the actual vehicle has circular lights.
    try doubling the edge count for them. That goes for your windows as well.
    i feel the slope of the under belly of the car like where the footwell would go should be more angled

This vehicle has a very unique shape and has subtle curves that can defiantly be added.
  • SrgFlamez
    Offline / Send Message
    It's just the way I have initially approached it. I am yet to smooth it. The reason I start off super low poly, like many others, is so that I can get the body shape right. I also did it for the headlights so that I can get the angles of it correct without having to shift something around 12 to 20 polys. I can keep it at six until I'm confident about the body shape and all the obvious details it has before smoothing it and adding all the minor details.

I did the same thing with the last vehicle I started modelling.
    10421975_1615920298638281_8814090835542785066_n.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=1894d9b4cacdbc6a00b58f760e2f9c37&oe=56CFFD33

That was my first attempt, I'm a lot more confident that I would approach it with a more accurate mindset now.
  • Cglewis
    Offline / Send Message
    I would stay away from smoothing you loose alot of shapes that way and you get interesting edge flow.
    ZRxlrSE.jpg

the biggest thing here is the front grill because you smoothed the shape is all off now.
    I also feel that the body panel above the crease is off.
    As well as your lights

you can get the the same shapes/better shape by actually putting in the edge flow your self....in the work flow of a car there gets to be a point where the amount of edges you have just skyrockets..id start by getting in the distinct landmarks edges and then work to fill in the in between detail and smooth the car shell out your self, this method will also make UVing alot easier man :D
  • SrgFlamez
    Offline / Send Message
    I made the mistake of smoothing it before modelling the other half, and on top of that I made it a tad too dense. But it was a straight up modelling exercise in Uni and I feel I've learned from that mistake. I will definitely take your critique on board and I'll use it on my current project. I will go back and retouch my Nissan Skyline after I've finished my Final Year project at Uni.

Thank you.