Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Student looking for critique

Thanks in advance for taking the time to look at this.

A few months ago I took a class in Maya and put this guy together. It still has work that needs to be done, but I would love to get any advice and tips on how to make it look better before going any further.

It's a Mk1 Male British tank from WWI, so you have a reference to go by.

When making it, I just created one side and then mirrored the geometry. That's why it has a seam down the middle (which I don't know how to fix, so any advice on that would be greatly appreciated!) Aside from that, I would just like some critiques on it so far. I'm still a student, but that is no excuse for shoddy work.

Thanks again for help everyone!

Replies

• apollo580
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    apollo580 polycounter lvl 9
    I'm no pro but here goes my critique and advice.

More reference! I think having an entire folder of reference helps with any design/concept/sculpt. Get around 20 or pictures of the tank and look at it very closely.

I think the main thing that jumps out at me is that you're overlooking the details. You have a good overall shape but need to define it. For example, the tank tracks should be more defined instead of just flat planes in a loop.

Look at this tank below:
    mb_72001_title.jpg

Notice the details around the tracks, you can see that they are two separate pieces which I cant currently see on your model. You could also add more volume to your shapes on the cabin, add a thicker layer for the welding pieces and the net around the roof.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Assuming that seam is just not perfectly placed vertices on the 0 X coordinate, here's what you do.

1) Grab all the edges that you need to be centered.
    2) Select> Convert Selections > To Vertices
    3)Put "0" in the X coordinate box (the Coordinate boxes are to the right of the quick render icons ABOVE the shelf.)
    >> Your selected vertices should now ALL be at zero. If you want to Merge them, don't forget to do that.