Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Art Contest Riot Art Contest - Character Art

[Riot Art Contest] - Arcade Vi

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
So I'm changing my mind and creating my own skin! Arcade Vi and I'll have a concept up shortly.

Most recent Update:
qhEYoz0.jpg
pPh5Veg.jpg
rBOvUfE.jpg
QsJEL7j.jpg
ejpcrsk.jpg

Replies

• Sukotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok so here we go! I really like the style of the arcade skins so I wanted to design a new one for Vi. Not sure about the colors because the color palette is so crazy so any comments on that would be appreciated :)

vfRJ8tm.jpg

Also, if a mod could edit my thread title that would be great.
  • Flaxor
    Cool idea and execution!
  • Sukotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Flaxor!

Blocking in the body, this is my first female character so let's see how this goes shall we? :D
    srhKvoT.png

Not much yet, just wanted to post to show I am working on it
  • Sukotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Little update, still blocking all the parts in. I'm kinda at a stand still cuz I feel like it doesn't say 'arcade' enough. Though when I get to texturing and putting some patterns and whatnot maybe it'll look more arcade-y

RLlZbcr.png
  • Sukotto
    Offline / Send Message
    More progress! Figuring things out and still blocking in the gauntlets.
    Gq4dfzb.jpg
    RVdMYZH.jpg
    b3bln19.png
  • Sukotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Did a bit more noodling on figuring the gauntlets out. I think I'll go with a chunkier Transformers like gauntlet that plays video games! Like Astro Teemo :)
    VlYXRA6.jpg
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    fun! looking forward to more progress. can't wait to see the face flushed out...right now her eyes might be a bit high on the head...
  • Shanteez
    Offline / Send Message
    Shanteez polycounter lvl 5
    Way too many COLOR variance. Also the anatomical forms are completely wrong. Too much to narrow down to a single thing... Great effort
  • Sukotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks slosh, I included some closeups of the face and body for critique. I will be dynameshing the head and body so mind the seam for now.
    Shanteez, could you specify what you mean? Just saying it's wrong doesn't help much :)
    tGayvEC.jpg
    Pl5TCC1.png
  • lamar McHaney
    Offline / Send Message
    lamar McHaney polycounter lvl 9
    IMO, nintendo power glove, just saying. Loving the progress
  • Shanteez
    Offline / Send Message
    Shanteez polycounter lvl 5
    Okay bud maybe this will help... But you need to work on her s-curve from a side perspective, that clavicle isn't natural looking either... She looks off balance and your forms need allot of modifying. drop an image in Zbrush and compare your proportions.

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/508695720383396614/

http://www.szejones.com/
  • 3sm
    Combining a popular champ and theme in this competition should be good :p

As for the crits i did a quick paintover of few changes i would make on the body - disclaimer: i wish my photoshop skills were better, but i tried lol. Just suggestion of course - i would work on general forms and posture a bit more (even though most of her body will be covered - practice makes perfect). Hope this helps a bit.
    Remember, nothing beats references - you could even look at some artist in this competition that are doing females. Good luck.

Paintover
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Did a little paintover/liquify on the face. Still needs a lot of love but the adjustments to the eyes, nose, mouth should be pretty easy.

paintover.jpg
  • Sukotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow guys, thanks for all the paintovers and help :) I'll definitely try to incorporate it all in my next update
  • Sukotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Again, thanks for all the feedback, I think I incorporated most of it :) I made a lot of changes to the face(good ones I hope) to give her more personality. Since Vi is a tough character I think she should look like it. Anyway, I think I'm just about done with the high poly, barring any huge feedback changes. I wanna move onto texturing :)
    6pvhHxs.png
    4GeIul3.png
  • Sukotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok guys, made a bit of progress since the last update, got everything baked down and ready to texture! And she's only 9715 tris, under my self-imposed limit of 10k :)
    w3InGKZ.png
    Q9AkeL6.png
    UgH1dIw.png
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Niiice...looking forward to textures!
  • Silvarspark
    Offline / Send Message
    Silvarspark polycounter lvl 3
    if you make something so colourful and bright, you must be careful with your color palette.
  • art.Rishabh
  • Sukotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys! Got to work on it a bit over the weekend.
    1MH9QWO.png I think I'm satisfied with my color choices so far. Please mind the seams, I'll paint those out soon. And I also have a top down gradient baked, I just turned it off for the time being.
  • Sukotto
    Offline / Send Message
    A bit more progress on textures and working on the pose as well, some skinning issues to fix but I'm going full steam ahead to the finish line!
    iTQAuRe.png
  • andyvargas
    Offline / Send Message
    andyvargas polycounter lvl 5
    she is looking great man!! would like to see her animated!
  • Sukotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Andy!

Before I make any final decisions, does anyone have any feedback on the color scheme/placement? I admit it not my strong suit and I'm a little unsure about it.
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    I think your colors are getting a tad too punchy/neon/saturated. Prob wanna bring that back just a bit. The shading on the skin could use work. The neck area looks a bit odd and her shadows are getting way too saturated and blown out. Still, nice progress! good luck!
  • Sukotto
    Offline / Send Message
    I see what you mean slosh, I appreciate it! So I changed the color scheme to be closer to Arcade Miss Fortune's and I think it reads much better. I desaturated everything a little and worked n the skin, mainly the chest/neck area.

Time is cracking down so here's another update and I hope to have this finished by the end of the week and have some presentation shots done
    aKGujY6.jpg
    cD2I1Mf.jpg

Let me know what you guys think!
  • haZe
    Offline / Send Message
    haZe greentooth
    Desaturation paid off! She seems a bit high-key compared to Yasuo on her left... I'd recommend an overall levels adjustment to ground her a bit. Her skin could also use some more contrast/gradient, her upper leg in particular, it appears as bright as her face. Have you applied the top-down gradient to the latest? In my experience it can be difficult to get just right depending on the model, so you may have to push it a bit. I also feel you could cool the base color of her gloves and escape the flat gray, similar to what you had before. :D
  • Sukotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks haZe! I actually had the gradient turned off accidentally for that render. Here's a new map shot with the gradient and some adjustments to the skin. What a difference that gradient makes!
    RSDMHDb.jpg
  • TomGT
    Offline / Send Message
    TomGT polycounter
    I actually prefer your old color scheme more than the new one. The old one, although needs tweaking, gave off a better arcade feel. Most likely because the colors on the main character followed the Red,Blue,Green buttons on her arm piece, with a splash of yellow, similar to Arcade Sona. With your new one, those three colors seem very out of place.

You should take a look at what makes Arcade Miss Fortune's colors work.

-Yellow and Purple are the main two contrasting colors. Yellow/Orange as the highlight while Purple/Pink is more spread out.

-Her gun has very light, pastel blues and greens so it doesn't overpower any of the two main colors.

-The tip of the gun has a very Reddish purple , which blends nicely with her main Purple. And hints at the Red Green Blue controller. Riot likes this color a lot as you can see this in Arcade Hecarim (splash art hair) and Sona (necklace) too.

Hope this helps!
  • Sukotto
    Offline / Send Message
    It helps a lot Tom! I kinda felt I lost the arcadey-ness with the new color scheme too. I think I'll go back and tweak that one. You have any suggestions of what to change? Just tone down the saturation/neon-ness of the colors?
  • TomGT
    Offline / Send Message
    TomGT polycounter
    Yeah, the saturation definitely needs to toned down.You still kind of want it to be neon but not too neon. I haven't updated LoL yet recently but you should checkout how the arcade skins go on the new summoners rift.

I'd be tempted to change the red green and blue on her arms to match the one on her outfit more (after getting toned down ofc). This will make her color scheme more solid.

Other than that, I love the direction the skin is taking. Should look amazing at the end!
  • Sukotto
    Offline / Send Message
    More work, tweaking everything. Feels a lot better than before :)
    wVvBptO.jpg
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    In the last screenshot, her skin had looked much better and now that sunburn red is back...what happened?
  • Sukotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm, well I didn't touch the skin since that update, only the colors of the outfit. The last shot was in Toolbag on my home comp and this last update was a screen grab from Maya on a different computer. There must be some color display issue going on. I will post an update in TB soon to get to the bottom of this :)
  • Sukotto
    Offline / Send Message
    So, final update time! It's been fun and I appreciate all the help and comments from everyone :) Thanks!

qhEYoz0.jpg
    pPh5Veg.jpg
    rBOvUfE.jpg
    QsJEL7j.jpg
    ejpcrsk.jpg