Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Art Contest Riot Art Contest - Animation

[Riot Art Contest] - Tyler Anthony

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
AnthonyAnimation greentooth
Some very talented people entering, can't wait to get started!

---Current WIP---

impWalk02.gif

Rough blocking exploring character personality.

Next: More cohesion!

ghostAxe02.gif

Rough blocking for another idea.

Next: More purpose/readability.

For those wondering about the zombie rig-
I originally contacted the studio that made the rig asking for permission and was granted it, however they have since stated that because of the fine print of the rules, they do not wish their models to be used in the contest. The rig is re-targetable to any model and they have no problem with using the rig for that purpose.

Replies

• AnthonyAnimation
    Offline / Send Message
    WIP 01

Picked out a rig I'm going to be using-

Zombie_common_runner.fw.png

skateboard_screenshot.jpg?1309647777
    Adding this prop from Valentin Bertrand, with a slightly modified rig to fit my purposes.
  • HeyGafilimore
    Offline / Send Message
    HeyGafilimore polycounter lvl 4
    awesome rig man! can't wait to see what you can do with it
  • SewellSoftworks
    I've seen that rig before, it's very appealing! Is that a free to use rig and/or would you mind if I used it as well?
  • AnthonyAnimation
    Offline / Send Message
    I've seen that rig before, it's very appealing! Is that a free to use rig and/or would you mind if I used it as well?

Edit: Proletariat has since changed their minds about the use of the character model (see OP)
  • AnthonyAnimation
    Offline / Send Message
    zombieUlt.gif

I've blocked out the "ult" attack though I'm having trouble getting the rig to preform how I want it, so I may switch rigs. (note: currently stepped keys)
  • heboltz3
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9
    Awesome exaggeration on those frames, especially on the skateboard!

Hows it look from game cam?

Keep it up!
  • KyleD
    Hey man i like what you've got so far!

Would love to try the rig, that link you sent seems to be broken for me, do you have a website link i could download it from? looks like its got some great stretchy animation.
  • AnthonyAnimation
    Offline / Send Message
    KyleD wrote: »

Would love to try the rig, that link you sent seems to be broken for me, do you have a website link i could download it from? looks like its got some great stretchy animation.

Edit: Proletariat has since changed their minds about the use of the character model (see OP)
  • Talgoose
    i really like the concept, great exaggeration, really cool :)
  • Nikolaj
    KyleD wrote: »

Hello!

There's a working download link over at http://www.cgmeetup.net/forums/files/file/25-world-zombination-rig/
  • slipsius
    This looks fantastic! My only concern is that it's too long for an in game animation, since this contest is all about creating animation that would fit into the game. They were very careful to keep ultimate attacks to 30 frames (1 second). You definitely added your own fantastic spin to it all. great creativity, but ya, that might hurt your judging scores. That's all.

Cant wait to see this thing polished
  • AnthonyAnimation
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius wrote: »
    This looks fantastic! My only concern is that it's too long for an in game animation, since this contest is all about creating animation that would fit into the game. They were very careful to keep ultimate attacks to 30 frames (1 second). You definitely added your own fantastic spin to it all. great creativity, but ya, that might hurt your judging scores. That's all.

Cant wait to see this thing polished

Thanks for the feedback! I agree, I need to work on timing. Something so stylized and exaggerated is not directly in my wheelhouse so practice is needed.
  • CiaranD
    Very nice start, shame about the rig but those B23 rigs look very nice
  • heboltz3
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9
    slipsius wrote: »
    This looks fantastic! My only concern is that it's too long for an in game animation, since this contest is all about creating animation that would fit into the game. They were very careful to keep ultimate attacks to 30 frames (1 second).

While I totally agree with the fact that it's probably too long for an ult, the rules don't really offer a frame limit?

Has anyone asked this in the Q/A thread? I think it's definitely worth knowing for sure what we have to work with.

EDIT: Just found the answer, haha
    iceburn91 wrote: »
    Is there some frame limitation per animation? Like you can only make the ultimate in 60 frames our something like that?

No hard limitation but please keep in mind that an ult should not be too overboard.

Less is probably more in this case, but I wouldn't think we are bound to 30.
  • LiamReynolds
    Offline / Send Message
    LiamReynolds polycounter lvl 3
    i quite like the longer ultimate in this case, means you get to add more creativity. in 1 second (30frames) you are clearly bound on the spot with the "normal" ideas i would imagine. extra time gives you the ability to move around alot more

but this is great, like the over the top style, i assume you would be just putting it down as a test run with the whole rig issue. in any case the only part that stuck out to me was how he carried his momentum up after catching the board with his foot.

how long is this one out of interest? i find its probably the threshold of length.
  • AnthonyAnimation
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the discussion everyone! I know a lot of the games ults are pretty short, but also rely a lot on effects, so hopefully we are given some leeway.

@LiamReynolds It is 90 frames.

Here's a quick and dirty test I did last week. I'm exploring using multiple characters as "one character". I know silhouette might be an issue, but I think it's a fun exercise and something I will most likely pursue.

impWalk.gif
  • Jking3D
    Hey Anthony cool stuff. Its great to see you putting down your thought process. Though, I thought the point of the competition was to take an existing character from the game and put your own creative spin on it?

Great stuff keep it up

J
  • E_ensey
    Offline / Send Message
    E_ensey polycounter lvl 4
    haha thats pretty cool, I was also considering using multiple characters for my entry but I'm still on the fence about it.
  • Ambehr
    Offline / Send Message
    Ambehr polycounter lvl 3
    Jking3D wrote: »
    Hey Anthony cool stuff. Its great to see you putting down your thought process. Though, I thought the point of the competition was to take an existing character from the game and put your own creative spin on it?

Great stuff keep it up

J

You can make an animation based off an already existing champion or not.
  • AnthonyAnimation
    Offline / Send Message
    @Jking3D and @Ambehr this is a direct quote from the Q&A thread ...It does not have to be based on a specific champion. Have fun and create animations that would match the animation style of LoL. (page 3 post #61)
  • fredG
    Hey Anthony! great WIP so far on your ult blocking, thought I'd share some comments with you:

- I think it's never too early to think as to how your animation would look inside the game. Your blocking so far takes some poses to really cool extreme, don't forget that we would see your animation from a top down perspective and from any angle afterward. Readability is very important, even more so if you think that your character would appear a bit smaller than in your previews, so keep that in mind when you refine your poses :)

- Be careful not to break your character when you push your poses! You seem to have taken the right shoulder of your character backward a lot to get a nice shape going on your starting pose but it feels a bit off since it's going too far back. You could probably get the same feel and shape by working off of your pelvis and spine to twist your body, it would also create a better line of action in your upper body ^^

Have fun, keep it up!
  • ch3nsan
    The blocking looks great, can't wait to see the final animation!
  • Luckysnowshu
    Looks great.... but.... you cant use that rig... I was gonna use the zombie brute model but its not licensed correctly
  • Goldo_O
    Offline / Send Message
    Goldo_O greentooth
    Love the three little dudes making one character. Very original idea!
  • AnthonyAnimation
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok! After most of my free time last weekend being taken up by Extra Life (for the kids!) I've managed to pick out an hour or two every night to keep forging ahead. I tried a new rig and love it-
    alienUlt.jpg

Unfortunately it is super tempting to really exaggerate this guy, way more than the League style. So I will come back to him at a later point for sure, but first I'd like to try and match League's style.

I'm moving ahead with the 3-in-1 character for my walk cycle. This pass I'm trying to figure out the personality for each character while getting their generic walk cycles and next I will be making them more cohesive and interactive.
    impWalk02.gif

It may look a bit too squash/stretchy from this angle, but I'd like it to read from game cam and these guys will be small on screen. I'll be sure to include more angles when I get a bit further.

Personality-wise the guy on the right is the "rock" (not "The Rock") who is doing his own thing. I started with him and will keep his movement the core of the action. Because there are three characters it will be important to keep things simplified yet still interesting.

The middle dude- He just wants adventure. He cares about his companions, but first and foremost he wants to get to the action and lead the way there.

The guy on the left- He is friendly and wants to hang out with the other two and will help in any way necessary.

With the base movements starting to take shape I hope to incorporate these personalities even further. I will be focusing on silhouette with an aim to keep the action readable yet interesting, we'll see how it goes!

Any and all feedback/crits are welcome.
  • JasperSandner
    Wow! This is awesome. Their personalities are already coming through vividly, can't wait to see your progress.
  • AnthonyAnimation
    Offline / Send Message
    While taking a break from my other walk cycle I blocked out a new one-
    axeSide.gif

I had the idea of a weapon as a character with a human rag-doll dummy attached so he could join the League. I wasn't sure if that would be interesting, so I made the "dummy" an actual person who is trying to wield the weapon, but with little success.

There are a few things I will focus on moving forward- making the weapon appear as though it's moving of its own volition being the main thing, because that will be tricky.

The sweet axe was provided by Polycount's Optinium
  • AnthonyAnimation
    Offline / Send Message
    Update to the "Possessed Axe" walk I started yesterday. The gif yesterday consisted of the main walk-cycle and a "fidget" (the trip) which blends in with the cycle to break it up. Today I focused on making the main cycle a bit more interesting and dynamic with the goal of giving the axe more purpose.
    ghostAxe.gif

ghostAxeBack.gif

This is still blocking as I'm trying to nail down readability and body mechanics.

I'm curious if the part where she sticks her leg out is reading. The goal was to have her plant her heel and get dragged a bit, but I wasn't sure if it made sense with the cycle being in place. Maybe have it hold for a few more frames? Or maybe it's the hip translation that's tripping me up...
  • omar gamal
    Offline / Send Message
    omar gamal polycounter lvl 5
    Awesoooooooooooooome
  • AnthonyAnimation
    Offline / Send Message
    A quick update- added the loop part of the locomotion. It's still in blocking+, so trying to get readability down. Next I will work on timing and getting the flow a bit more smooth.
    ghostAxe02.gif

ghostAxe02_persp.gif

Edit: After some thought, this is too busy and I'll be revisiting my initial blocking which much more closely resembles a walk cycle.
  • Evanescfan
    This looks amazing, but to be honest, I'm just worried about it's practicality in a cycle
  • FabFletch
    Its looking super awesome. the only suggestion i would have for you is maybe take out the parts where she puts her heel down to try to stop. i just find it looks awkward. Maybe instead you could have her try and take some big steps to try catch up to her weapon, then miss her step because the weapon would pull her, and she would fall into the animation you already have going. just somthing i would suggest trying. Looking great tho :)
  • Kel-Shaded
    Offline / Send Message
    Kel-Shaded polycounter lvl 6
    A little busy true, but looks great though
  • AnthonyAnimation
    Offline / Send Message
    An update to my walk cycle, I may mess with the timing some to make sure the axe jerk isn't so violent, until then I'll move on to the attack. (Note: Gif's can't export at 30fps, so this is playing a little faster than a playblast.)
    ghostAxe_redo.gif
  • xiang Liu
    Funny one, Looking forward to the attack piece. I like the beginning of the run. The character falls down I will feel she is a little bit mess up or something wrong with the run, but just my personal feeling.
  • AnthonyAnimation
    Offline / Send Message
    Well...
    ghostAxeUlt01.gif

ghostAxeUlt02.gif

I figured I would post the last part of my submission. My schedule got insanely busy near the end of the competition so unfortunately I didn't get as much accomplished as I had originally planned. With this attack my goal was to match Riot's style, keeping it at 30 frames proved rather tricky!

This contest was a lot of fun and hopefully there will more in the future! Great work everyone!