polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Noise polycounter lvl 6
Last Update :

Kitchen_Break_2.jpg
Kitchen_Main.jpg

Hello Guys

Remember this ?

I'm redoing an old scene I had, with the same graphic style a bit more details but still closer to a painting than something with a lot of detail.

For now I need to rework 3 textures on the 4 I have for this small environment.
Then a lot of polish, some level and brightness tweqk on the texture and element to give the depth. And in the end the inking.
Same job as the street.
I'm still doing this in CryEngine. This small environment may lead to another room. And if all is going well might get some gameplay, character and animation and become a game.

The room overall polycount is 10k, I know that I can drop it by probably half but as your are loading only one room at a time I assume it's fine. My main goal is too avoid to have a lowpoly look and have some nice shape to take the light.
I'm still using only a diffuse map, no normal and specular map and for the most part it's a unique unwrapping.

Breakdown.jpg
SneakPeak_2.jpg

Next steps are :
  • Color variations and brightness stroke in the ground and wall texture
  • Color variations and brightness stroke in the small item
  • Color variations and brightness stroke in the spoon with is a catapult
  • Tweaking level and brightness on a element basis
  • Inking
  • Floating plane, Maybe not sure of the impact with a closer view
  • Polish light
  • Polish effect, post effect
  • Polish the color distribution
  • Polish texture, sharpen mainly

Replies

• lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Oh man I loved that street diorama you did, this looks even better!

Im actually working on a game with a similar hand painted style, and something we realized is breaking up the the silhouette helped a lot with the paintery look, maybe something you could try out :)
    It and a few more polygons but in our case it was really worth it, it works great simulating the inability to draw exaclty straight lines in analog media.

here is a quick example of what I mean, cant really show you anything for the actual project so a cube will have to do =P
    2Ez4bXt.png

in anycase, looks amazing, good job!
  • Noise
    Offline / Send Message
    Noise polycounter lvl 6
    I didn't though about that but that's an excellent idea, I have some deformed unrealistic shape in the street so it make sense to add some in the room too.
    And also for the silhouette/breaking straight line purpose.

Cool I hope you'll have soon some teasing about our game :D
  • Lucas Annunziata
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucas Annunziata polycounter lvl 13
    Awesome. I'm really looking forward to seeing where this goes. Always great to see hand-painted stuff outside of the typical style.
  • Deathstick
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    The way you're handling the texture is pretty intriguing.

The one thing I'd caution you about is the overall scale/sizes of the small props and objects littering the scene in relation to one another. IE the plates in the sink seem tiny, the spoon super tiny, the book on the oven huge etc.

Now I understand that those may be desert plates compared to regular plates, and the book could be in fact that big but some more thought and clearer indication of what they are and how they are composed/placed could make the piece a lot more coherent.

Try and see what you can come up with in defining an object, especially with objects that have different sizes but are basically the same size visually (IE plates) Maybe a little bit of half eaten cake or frosting on one of the plates if it was dessert etc.

I'm currently unsure of the "story" behind the environment as to how the objects are placed. There appears to be some cleaning going on in the sink which is nice but then the milk is sort of just there. I'm not sure what's going on with the spoon and the small items next to it, and there's a random human organ container in the shelf. I also wouldn't place the large book right next to the cutting board on the oven, having them next to each other adds difficulty to quickly "reading" what they are, especially since they're the same size and overall shape.

Overall I'd say perhaps think more about how you're composing your objects and what they mean when they are next to each other and how they relate rather than just being next to each other for placement's sake.

IE, if someones just rummaging through things like a burglar make it absolutely apparent that things are knocked over and tossed about. If someone's in the process of making a cake batter have the recipe book open on the counter with the milk next to the pot and serving dishes lining up, etc..

Anyways my 2 cents :) All that said, I can't wait to see what you do to push it further!
  • felipealves
    Offline / Send Message
    felipealves polycounter lvl 10
    Man.. I love your style!

I think you should decrease the darkness on the trash.
  • Noise
    Offline / Send Message
    Noise polycounter lvl 6
    @All

Thanks for the kind word

@Deathstick

I think it's where I have to explain a bit more what I have in mind with this room. That's true there is no story yet and it something I need to work on more.

For now props are placed in a way that math some sort of level design, this kitchen is actually a playground where you player will have to put your small army of guys (Clash of clans ways to play) and there is bots, the bad guys you have to fight with so you can or can't see them depending on the level you decide to go in the room, higher level, higher reward.

So I still have to fill up a bit the room to give it life, like the street, I'll pay attention to the scale of thing between them while making that and adjusting what I need to keep those path to go fight in the sink like an arena, take an archer or magician uphill on the book to have a protective place, I need to find anther way to go in the drawer also.

There is a lot of iteration to make on the level design, bringing life and story will be interesting>

Hope to get a lot of good advice like yours, Thanks.
  • Noise
    Offline / Send Message
    Noise polycounter lvl 6
    A small update on this :
    SneakPeak_4.jpg

I won't be able to work on this for a few day, no computer so well I might take longer to tweak everything but probqbly worth it.
  • Noise
    Offline / Send Message
    Noise polycounter lvl 6
    Update on this.

SneakPeak_5.jpg

I'll go for the modeling of news element, more story telling, life to the scene. Going for a untidy/Dirt looking.
    Some more asset to come.
    When I'm done with it I'll place old stuff on news texture so I can change their color and give them a more unique look, plate mainly

After that :
    • Finish wall/ground texture
    • Finish big stuff texture
    • Finish Spoon texture
    • Finish small stuff texture
    • Do new stuff texture
    • Color distribution
    • Value distribution
    • Refine Light
    • Breaking stuff to go more with cartoon shape as Lotet suggest
    • Inking

I'll try to go to the whole list within this week after job. I want to try having this done for Friday. Need to push a bit myself have been a bit too lazy lastly.
  • Yilativ
    Very cool result, I like it :)
  • Noise
    Offline / Send Message
    Noise polycounter lvl 6
    Update after some small work movement on this. Feedback, comment help anything would be much appreciated.
    SneakPeak_6.jpg

What I want to change because it's too big/intense black spot/part
    Some are coming of smoothing and or custom normal. Some most of them are from texture.
    TooBlack.jpg

Value right now.
    ValueNow.jpg

Where I want to go with value.
    Value.jpg
  • Noise
    Offline / Send Message
    Noise polycounter lvl 6
    Closer to the end !

Need to :
      Work a bit more on some value Finish the 1st pass on the new objetcs texture Finish the color Finish the inking in the new and another texture. Work on the dirt of those 2 textures. Broken a bit all those linear shape

SneakPeak_7.jpg
    ValueNow_2.jpg
  • Noise
    Offline / Send Message
    Noise polycounter lvl 6
    I'll call it done for now as I have to move on something else before starting my next challenge in a new studio.

I'll come back to it for the last bit of work, the broken linear shape. And probably some tweak here and there based on feedback I might get.

Kitchen_Break.jpg
    Kitchen_Break_2.jpg
    Kitchen_Value.jpg
    Kitchen_Main.jpg
  • xvampire
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    emulating modern impressionist style to 3d still mystery and challenge to me, but you are pretty close to that,
    the grayscale version looks great, I like it!

but the color version little bit off, despite exactly using same texture and same asset.
    maybe because of the low saturation gradient shading,
  • bugo
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    You got something really cool there! I must say I love both the colored and grayscale. The only thing i'ts bothering me is the smoking filter, on top of the oven (not sur whats the name of it). Looks like it's too bright, and need's to be a bit more specular or shiny as it's a metal surface. Still, nice job!
  • Noise
    Offline / Send Message
    Noise polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks you both

I might go and do some sharpen for the cloudy effects of some part. But you are right I need to tone down the value of the metal surrounding of the stove and change a bit the dirt on the book.
    The process is only using a diffuse so it's a lot of tweak to get things right.

I must say I tend to like more the grayscale version too but it's was the same with the street itself. Coming back to it later will probably help to spot some of the things that doesn't work so well in color.
  • Iciban
    Offline / Send Message
    Iciban polycounter lvl 10
    wow you really nailed this style again! so unique. Like something from a comic book.
    great job!
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    wow dude! it turned out great!
    any chanse you can make a video? I think it would be cool to see how it holds up in movement :)
  • Noise
    Offline / Send Message
    Noise polycounter lvl 6
    I guess a video can be done. But anything for now is moving. Only the dust in the volumetric light beam.

And as you can see on one of the screen it's quiet small if you goes out of the main view.
  • pixelpatron
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    This is wicked awesome, you made that look too easy.
  • skankerzero
    hey hey, I 'm really digging this style.

It would be awesome if there was a normal map to this that was for the brush strokes. Giving everything some kind of 'oil painting texture' quality to it.
  • Noise
    Offline / Send Message
    Noise polycounter lvl 6
    That' an interesting idea, I might give it a shot in the next few days. Might be quick to create the stroke, heavy painting.
    I have a greyscale version of the texture so I guess I can try with that and then polish it a bit with ndo.

Thanks