Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Art Contest

Riot Art Contest 2014 - Q&A

Replies

• spacebodi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    for Illustration . can i design a new champion from my imagination , or i have to design from champions in LoL

This is a fan art contest. There are 121 champions in LoL to choose from.
  • Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Regarding the VFX contest:

Am I allowed to use subtle animations for the spheres even thou the rules state

"The spheres should remain un-textured and should not move
    The effects should do all the acting in this piece"

Will I get disqualified if I add animations on the spheres?

Having the spheres be stationary is required.

This, also does the effect have to be based on an exsisting effect or should it be a brand new one?

The effect can be your own idea or a personal version of an existing one.
  • spacebodi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    for Illustration . can i design a new champion from my imagination , or i have to design from champions in LoL
    You can make whatever you want. But keep in mind this is a League of Legends themed competition. It would be better to make something pertaining to League.
  • Silvarspark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Silvarspark polycounter lvl 3
    Sephoki wrote: »
    I am already working on a project that can fit into this contest. Am i able to use it or do i need to start fresh?

Start from scratch. We do not want unfair advantages.
    Does this also go for earlier made fan designs (my own ofc) which I would like as a basis for a fully rendered splash art ?
    I'm not talking about a paintover. I would start the splashart from scratch with my own design in mind which I created earlier. Is that ok ?

That is fine. This is your design and you are simply creating a storytelling opportunity for your design.
  • Dhairyasheel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dhairyasheel polycounter lvl 6
    can indians participate in this contest?

Yes.
  • Kedwardian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So, I understand that animation rigs won't be provided, which is understandable (and sorry for bringing it up again). However, I did some googling and found some people were able to easily import the models, skeletons AND textures into Maya using the files installed with the game on their computers.

There are obviously some possible issues with this but I was wondering if it is allowed at all for the competition?

Use your best judgment. It is very easy for us to recognize our own assets. If you download models ripped from the game and try to use them as an entry it will be disqualified. The point is to do your version of our characters, that is up to or exceeding the quality in League of Legends currently. This is an opportunity to showcase your artistic skill, not your ability to rip models and textures and slightly alter them.
  • Rnz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rnz polycounter lvl 8
    Are there open numbers on how high the general poly count for the updated turrets, inhibitors and creep dens will be? Just to have a rough idea.
    No hard limit. Show us you know how to make every polygon count!
  • Bodio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bodio polycounter lvl 3
    Hi !

For the environment art test:
    1) The nexus & turret have to be the exact same size of the current size? Or max x1.5 or 2x ?

I am not understanding the question. The goal is to make something that fits within the art style of LoL.

2) For the monsters's den, we have to create the ground too? (place were the mobs spawn).

It is up to you if you would like to make a small diorama for your tree/bush and rock(s)/

3) If it's not mandatory, is it allowed to do it?

Sure.

4) We also have to bake the cast shadows ?

We paint in shadows.

Thx !

Of course.
  • pusitega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can i draw Illustration on paper and then scan it on some high res scener?

Yes.
  • tharle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tharle polycounter lvl 9
    for the vfx entry are we able to use other things within engine apart from particles? ie skeletal meshes in matinee in Unreal?

As long as the requirements are met regarding the particles you may use elements outside of them as well.
  • Sugus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    Hi there,

First of all, a big thank you to Riot and Polycount for making this awesome competition.

As for my question:

- In the rules within Environment Art, it says we can create or design our own items. If we decided to create our own designs, do we have to match the design language/ settings of Summoners Rift or are we free to make any kind of turret, inhibitor and creep den design as long as it follows the League of Legends art style?

Many thanks!

We would want to see the objects match the LoL art style as well as fit within the theme of the world.
  • Dhairyasheel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    can Indians participate in contest ?
    Of course.
  • dkkhaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have a question : in this contest , can I make a new champion for LOL ( with new skill , new story , new animation ... ) ???
    This is a fan art competition. If you want to flex your design skills, I would suggest making a new skin for one of the 121 champions as a basis for your model or illustration.
  • TigerStudio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can create my own character from my imagination or must be create exist champ
    and another one if i made exist one can i made new skin for it

This is a fan art contest. We would like for you to take an existing champ and either remake it with your own take or create a new design for the character. We are not looking for a whole new character that is not part of the world. This is meant to be fan art.
  • K.D Stanton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I want to know the limit players of national region to qualify?
    Another is inset type can use the form of realism?
    Design can change?
    " THX :)
    This is a global contest
  • ordep95
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ordep95 polycounter lvl 2
    Hi everybody im sorry for being so ignorant but this is my first contest and in the entry is a part that make me select some kind of image what is it for

Are you meaning the submission form of your assets? That is where you will attach a zip file with all your materials that are required for judging (renders, reference materials, texture sheet, etc.).

Thanks
  • Elina.Sterina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I represent the interests of Magic CG - magazine about digital art. We want to write a couple of words about the contest. I hope we will be able to publish this article with your permission!

look forward to hearing from you!

Contacts:
    elina.sterina@gmail.com
  • ROZZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i just have one question i didn't see anyone else ask which is, does every category have its own 3 winners? or the 3 winners will be selected from all 5 categories? will every category be judged separated from the others or all together?

thank you

Every category will have its own set of three (3) winners. Each category will be judged by a different group from that discipline. For example, the character submissions will be judged by a group of character artists here at Riot Games and so on.
  • Schrodinger's Backface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Schrodinger's Backface polycounter lvl 6
    Hey, not sure if this has been asked so I apologize if this is a double. I just installed the game and played a match in Summoner's Rift. I was getting a feel for the art style but while googling I found this:

http://euw.leagueoflegends.com/en/news/game-updates/features/update-summoners-rift-headed-pbe

I noticed there used to be an even older version of Summoner's Rift so I assumed the contest was referring to the current i.e. playable Summoner's Rift. I just want to be clear as the contest rules stated the "updated" Summoner's Rift so that could mean two things.

TLDR: Do we make it for the current-playable version of SR or the new one being teased in that trailer?

Thanks!

We have updated the main contest page with images of the map for compositing.
  • iangoold3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iangoold3d polycounter lvl 5
    For the VFX the does the spells have to be for a specific champion? or just fit the world of LOL

It simply has to fit the thematic of LoL
  • Arsenal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arsenal polycounter lvl 12
    For the Character art, are we able to use Alpha and glow maps? or is it just Diffuse only?

You can use Alpha.
  • gweester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can we redesign a character from scratch totally different from the original design?

(i.e chogath)

As long as it reads as Cho'Gath then that is fine. This is a fan art contest after all.
  • Sel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sel
    Just to clarify, would the use of a rig in the animation contest be construed as commercial use?

Please check the terms of use for anything that you are using. I can't answer that question.
  • ThatKid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ThatKid polycounter lvl 6
    For the Character Art section, should the final presentation of the model be in T-Pose or posed out (or both?)

Not important. We will not judge a posed character differently than a T-Posed character. That would be cool to see if you did both but it is not required.
  • Dhairyasheel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hi,
    i have tryed to create new thread in WIP section for my work but there always this error
    can you help me with this ?

Dhairyasheel, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
    Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
    If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Edit (adam): Your account needed to be approved first. It's been approved so your thread should be live.
  • Leb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Leb polycounter lvl 6
    Sorry if this has already been asked. But how do you handle clones of themselves texture wise. Is it a different texture map or done differently. For example, Shaco/LeBlanc clones.

Also, do things like the Shaco's jack in the box or Zyra plants share the same texture map?

Thanks guys!

If you choose to do a character that has a clone, you may use two sheets. If you can do it in one we will notice. Shaco boxes should be on the same sheet as the main character. For zyra plants, if you can fit them all on one 512x512 through judicious use of uv space that would work. Keep in mind you have been given a 2048x2048 texture sheet. Fit as much as you can on there. But for the myriad of champions that have clones, mounts or tibbers, a separate texture sheet will be understood by the judges. The thing we are looking for is you did your best and are smart about your u.v.w maps.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Maybe this has been asked but for the environment portion should normals, spec, etc be included?

There are no normals or spec in our environment pieces.
  • Burpee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Burpee polycounter lvl 9
    Hi !

I don't understand what the " The Creep Den " mean ? do you have an in game example ?

For the creep den, we simply want to see an example of organics such as a tree or bush. We also want to see how you handle natural hard surface materials such as rocks. I see no reason why you can't create the dragon or Baron den if you include those requirements.

About the turret, can we send one version for each side ?

Sure.
  • Dhairyasheel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    problem resolved :)

Great.
  • angelwylie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just wanted to say hi to Josh Singh! Will you be at GDC next year? I would love to buy you a drink and catch up if you are.

Thank you to the entire Riot team for giving this amazing opportunity!

Question - How often do you want to see our WIP thread updated?

As often as you like. We just love seeing individual's thought process and we all geek out on WIP threads.
  • MarcioGomes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi,

In illustration session, can I use Zbrush and 3d software for generate a final image and steps as wip?

The illustration section is a 2d category. You can paint over your 3d model to make it a 2d illustration.

Thanks.
  • iceburn91
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iceburn91 polycounter lvl 5
    "Create a uniquely creative run or walk cycle clearly showing the personality and emotion of your selected character."

When you say Selected character are you referring to a League of Legend character?
    I choose any rig and them I choose to animate like Braum new animation but with another rig?

You can take an existing champion or do something new in the animation style of LoL with the LoL specific camera angle.
  • Rusty_Gvfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey there question for the VFX comp.

Does the spell have to be a projectile? Can it be a mine or delayed explosion.

Heres an example : ylpdxB4.jpg

Lucky im not entering the concept art contest :P

It does not have to be a projectile.
  • jpstr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is it possible to compete in the same category, but with multiple submissions?
    (its stated in the FAQ its ok to compete in more than 1 categorey, but vague regarding if its ok to submit more items in a single category)

Yes. You can enter the same category multiple times if you finish multiple pieces.
  • iceburn91
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iceburn91 polycounter lvl 5
    "Create a uniquely creative run or walk cycle clearly showing the personality and emotion of your selected character."

When you say Selected character are you referring to a League of Legend character?
    I choose any rig and them I choose to animate like Braum new animation but with another rig?

Yes. That is what that is referring to.

"Create a unique animation imagining what the character’s ultimate ability or unique move would look like."

So I have to choose like Leona Solar Flare and make a new animation for that ultimate?

It could be for any ultimate ability. You can either redo her current ultimate or you can create a new animation for something unique that you feel she would do.
  • simplastic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a couple of questions regarding the animation contest...

1.- "Consider League of Legends’ game view for your animation". Which is the camera angle for this?

The angle to use is around 55 degrees with the FOV being 40.

2.- "
    Submit a playblast in Quicktime H264 format from the front, side and ¾ views". What about the ¾ view? is the LoL ¾ Top View Style?

3/4 view is the LoL camera angle.

3.- Im assuming that the cycles dont have to move from the center of the world (0,0,0) im i right? i.e the run cycle has to be on the 0,0,0?

That is fine. Either way is fine.

• synaps
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey I have some questions for the illustration contest :

1) Is the number of champions we can display in the illustrations limited ?

No limit.

2) Does the illustration have to fit the League of Legends art style ? Will we be punished if the illustration is in a slightly different style from the recent League of Legends splash arts ?

You will not be punished but the team generally gravitates towards the style that you find in our recent illustrations. With that being said, if there is an illustration that successfully follows all the requirements, then it will be considered for prize consideration.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    for my character, Fizz, even though he is a character on his own, would including the shark/whale/seal from his ult be acceptable for the entry? if so, would they both have to fit onto one texture sheet? or would they be allowed to be split up.

If you choose to use a seperate texture sheet for fizz's shark, or annie's tibbers, or Sejuani's mount the judges will understand. Keep in mind Fizz is a very small character, and you have a 2048x2048 texture to work with. Judicious use of resources is also noted.
  • kalla75
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kalla75 polycounter lvl 5
    Hi.

Can I use Kinect for animation contest?
    I want to try to use it as base reference animation.

Thanks.
    =

With LoL, our animations are very stylized and exaggerated. As long as the animations look powerful and are readable from 3/4 perspective I do not see anything wrong with using Kinnect as a form of "video reference."
  • s0id3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s0id3 polycounter lvl 8
    I have another question. For environment art one of the 3 aspects is to create a creep den. Is this just limited to jungle creeps? Like the Golems, Lizards, wraith camps etc? Or could we create a a creep den for like dragon or Baron?

For the creep den, we simply want to see an example of organics such as a tree or bush. We also want to see how you handle natural hard surface materials such as rocks. I see no reason why you can't create the dragon or Baron den if you include those requirements.
  • Rusty_Gvfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For the VFX contest are we allowed to use 3d props from sites such as turbo squid. Im not the best modeler and uv artist so this is where im stuck at the moment. I don't want to spend half the challenge modeling a keg and rocks. All the actual effects parts would be modeled by me obviously.

For example if I were to have stones stab out of the ground after runes appeared in a line. Would I also have to model and texture those stones?

As part of the effect it would be acceptable to have rudimentary stone meshes without texture for an asset like that. The main feature piece being the particle effects.

Ok thats awesome thanks!
  • spacebodi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Spacebodi: You have asked this many times already and I have answered it already. This is a fan art contest. There are 121 champions in LoL to choose from. We do not want to see new champions but content related to our current champions.
  • juancaratino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    juancaratino polycounter lvl 7
    1) can i make NIDALEE without the cougar?

Yes.
  • joseguilherme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joseguilherme polycounter lvl 3
    Hey, I'm registered today and I can't create any thread :(

EDIT (Adam): Registration isn't instantaneous and can some times take up to 48 hours. That being said, your post is approved and you should be good to go.
  • Rusty_Gvfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Last question! Sorry!

Do the VFX have to be for a certain hero? Do we just make our own up but match the style of league of legends?

It simply has to fit the thematic of LoL
  • rradulescu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    can you enter more than one piece? and for the illustration, what size ratio would be preferred?

This has been answered before. Yes, you can enter more than one (1) category. The team paints at 7000 x 4130. The format really does not matter. We are not using these images for the game. We just want it big enough so that we can see your painting ability.
  • ColdWintersNight
    Hello! Are we allowed to post WIP pics on personal Tumblrs to show off our progress?

Sure. The Polycount WIP thread is what we are going to reference when judging the work.
  • RafaelJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RafaelJ polycounter lvl 2
    Hi, for the Character contest, as the hi-res is optional can I make the model hi res but yet stylized with not that much polygon but maybe with more than one uv tile and normal maps as the cinematic ones EX: ( http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/4c/89/5c/4c895c59f3fad26020ff3ef32729aeba.jpg ) an then make a lighter version with flat textures for the in game version?

And second.
    This question was asked before but I didn't get it, sorry for that.

"Composite shot of your character over the updated Summoner’s Rift map (3/4 view)"
    You gave this link as part of the answer ( http://www.surrenderat20.net/p/summoners-rift-update-preview.html ) but I don't quite get it... do we have to grab one of those images, or screen capture a place of that map inside the game, or how is it?

Thanks.
  • parasyte7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    parasyte7 polycounter lvl 19
    Hi everyone,

We have updated the official rules with Summoner's Rift images to composite your characters and environment pieces on.

http://www.polycount.com/riotcontest2014/

I hope this is helpful for everyone.

Also, we will be updating the main FAQ section of the rules page with some of the reoccurring questions that are coming up in this thread.

Good luck everyone!

-Kenny
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Thanks for your hard work, Kenny (and others)! :)

Thanks and it is our pleasure.
This discussion has been closed.