Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Art Contest

Riot Art Contest 2014 - Q&A

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
adam polycounter lvl 19
JinxPolycountPoster1jpg

Hello! If you are participating in Riot Games 2014 Art Contest presented by Polycount and have some questions in regards to the contest, please ask them here.

We will be editing your posts with answers written in blue.

As a reminder, the important dates for this contest are:
  • Contest starts October 12th, 2014
  • The deadline for entries is December 19th, 2014 @ 23:59 PST (GMT -7)
  • Winners will be announced January 30th, 2015

Replies

• Tekoppar
    Offline / Send Message
    Tekoppar polycounter lvl 10
    Shouldn't it be 2048? Or does the LoL engine use 2040? "Try to keep the texture for each item on its own single 2040 diffuse sheet"

Fixed. Thanks.
  • Beinahruga
    Offline / Send Message
    Beinahruga polycounter lvl 3
    Does the character category allow for designing your own skin/interpretation of the champion or do we need to stick to existing designs?

You can recreate the champion's base skin, one of the champion's other skins or design your own. Please remember that we will need to make out that the asset you create is indeed a LoL character..
  • Noors
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Are the model/rigs provided for animators or do we have to rip game content a la Valve ?

You can use whatever rig you are comfortable with. There are tons of free or low cost rigs available online if you do not already have one that you are familiar with.

Well, ok for the rig, but for the model ? We need to animate a LoL champ right ? I know characters can be exctracted with unofficial tools, as i've done it myself. Not sure if it's the way to proceed for the contest.
    Thanks !

The rigs that are available for free or purchase online are in essence models. Here is a great resource of Maya rigs: http://www.animationbuffet.blogspot.com/
  • Shadownami92
    Offline / Send Message
    Shadownami92 polycounter lvl 7
    What texture types are allowed? It sounds like it should just be the diffuse, but would alpha be allowed as well if that's the case?

Yes alpha maps are fine.
  • soulty
  • Saf
    Offline / Send Message
    Saf polycounter lvl 11
    Can we use official concept art or fan art for 3D characters?

You can use official concept art. You are not allowed to use fan art that has already been created. This is in essence working as a team. Official or your own designs only..

thx
  • JedTheKrampus
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    I think that flat lighting could use some clarification for those of use who don't play LoL. In your updated summoner's rift preview video, I saw one dynamic directional light, with no baked global illumination. Is global illumination allowed, or do we have to make do with one directional direct light? Is it OK to render "fully rough" in Unreal Engine 4, or is that not allowed because there's a specular term? Does flat lighting mean cel shading or Lambert? Are normal maps allowed? And so on.

Like Willem mentioned: Flat lighting essentially meaning full-bright (or 'use no lights' in Maya). All AO, colored light, GI and other fancy business should be painted or baked into the diffuse. We typically use only diffuse on characters. No normal/spec/etc.
  • TAN
    Offline / Send Message
    TAN polycounter lvl 12
    " Composite shot of your character over the updated Summoner’s Rift map (3/4 view)"

I have no idea ob this subject. Please elaborate. I didn't even know we could test our characters in LoL builds.

I usually render my lowpoly characters in CryEngine, in realtime. Is this OK ?

Thanks.

Like Willem mentioned: There are some good shots of the visual update for SR here: http://www.surrenderat20.net/p/summoners-rift-update-preview.html

What Riot is asking for is a render of your character pasted on a background image of SR (a picture of the lane, base etc) to show how your design would look in-game.
  • ChaosEidolon
    Offline / Send Message
    ChaosEidolon polycounter lvl 17
    Hey TAN

There are some good shots of the visual update for SR here: http://www.surrenderat20.net/p/summoners-rift-update-preview.html

What they are asking for is a render of your character pasted on a background image of SR (a picture of the lane, base etc) to show how your design would look in-game.

Jed: Flat lighting essentially meaning full-bright (or 'use no lights' in Maya). All AO, colored light, GI and other fancy business should be painted or baked into the diffuse. We typically use only diffuse on characters. No normal/spec/etc

Hope this helps :)
  • kaptainkernals
    Offline / Send Message
    kaptainkernals polycounter lvl 12
    Can you enter multiple categories? Or can you only enter and submit for a single category?

From the FAQ:
    I am interested in multiple categories, is it possible to submit art to multiple categories?
    Yeap! You can enter as many categories as you want.
  • kaptainkernals
    Offline / Send Message
    kaptainkernals polycounter lvl 12
    Ah right, i didn't look at the prizes so i didn't go past there, and a search for FAQs didn't show anything.

No problem. GLHF!
  • Denny
    Offline / Send Message
    Denny polycounter lvl 14
    Is it allowed to use a character model from another contestant for the Animation category? Say, for example, someone else starts on a Character Model entry and I would gain access to rig and animate it for the Animation category?

We are not judging the model but your animations. Doing this will give you less time to create your animations.

The Animation category does not claim any limitations of what rig or model we can use, I thought it could be fun to use new content from the contest.

I understand if this is in the borderlands of "teamwork" and thus not allowed. But then, there's plenty of teamwork on the forums via the WIP threads. I thought it could be great for some artists to get feedback on how well their model deforms while at the same time someone else could work on animation entry.
  • Malanjo
    Do you need to have a LoL account to participate?
    Asking this because in the final submission form, there's a line where you need to put your LoL account name.

Yes you do. Registering for a League of Legends summoner account is free. Part of the prize pool is RP. RP (Riot Points) is one of the ways to acquire new champions, skins and runes..

Thank you! :) Did the registration today in the afternoon! :)
  • iNathanM
    Same question people seem to have asked, I'm really eager to get involved in this - though what model can we animate? The only easy to access models I can imagine are Dota 2 models... though that may not look very good.

Is there any League models we can use?

No. We are not releasing LoL characters for this competition. You can use any free or paid rig out there for this competition. The quality of the model is not a factor in the animation judging.
  • Harford
    Offline / Send Message
    Harford polycounter lvl 7
  • Gandosh
    Offline / Send Message
    Gandosh triangle
    Can i use realistic way on Character section? or it must be handpainted like in game model?

We are looking for stylized characters and environments for this competition. That means no normal maps and hand painted diffuse textures.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Can we use alpha? Can we use Emissive? Can we use effects on our textures (like tiling UV's to simulate lava flow).

Yes alpha is allowed!
  • FemCharles
    Offline / Send Message
    FemCharles greentooth
    For environment art is it a re skin of a Turret and an Inhibitor or do we need to concept a new design?
    By creep den do you mean a small section of an environment that includes terrain or just some assets that would fill the environment?

It is really up to you. You can either recreate what is already in the game with a fresh coat of paint or try your hand at designing something new. For the creep den, we are looking for a few smaller pieces that show organics. A rock and bush is acceptable for this requirement.
  • m4dcow
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    Are we allowed to bake lighting or AO to the verts?
    Is this a question for character art or environment? If for character art no.

My question was about environments, sorry for not specifying. So I guess a no on characters means a yes on environments?
  • Eckxter
    Two questions for the VFX category:
    1) "2 unique spells", does this mean that they have to be completely new, non-existing spells?
    Or is it allowed to re-design existing spells with different visuals?

Two (2) unique effects means not the same effect. For example, one can be a laser based effect while the other can be a fire explosion. You are able to create effects that are already in LoL but with your own take on it.

2) The FAQ states that we can use any software we feel comfortable with.
    Does this also count for VFX? For example, can the submission be a Maya render or does it need to be implemented in a game engine (its particle editor)?

Absolutely. Have fun with it as long as you meet the requirements.

Thx
    Eckxter
  • TAN
    Offline / Send Message
    TAN polycounter lvl 12

We typically use only diffuse on characters. No normal/spec/etc

:)

What da.... No normalmaps ??? I can't use dem normalmaps !?

Can we use alpha? Can we use Emissive? Can we use effects on our textures (like tiling UV's to simulate lava flow).

+1

Man I have more questions in my brain than ideas about this whole thing. Can't you guys make it simpler ?? Or at least explain it in more definitive terms.
  • bobmartien
    Offline / Send Message
    bobmartien polycounter lvl 11
    Gandosh wrote: »
    Can i use realistic way on Character section? or it must be handpainted like in game model?

+1

I don't know if someone want to do this, but a post to summarize some important information could be great. I mean, the fact we can't use a normalmap is... a major information no?

The characters in LoL are stylized. The character must blend in with the art style found in the Summoner's Rift map. The textures have to be hand painted and stylized to fit the overall art direction of LoL. Does that answer your question?
  • Blaizer
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    In several contests we have the statement of: "prizes are only eligible for US or Canadian participants". The dead CgChat forum, and GameArtisans were some examples.

For European participants, we won't have this issue of discrimination? or yes?

Sorry if the question is annoying.

No annoying at all Alberto. This is a global competition and we want all the prizes to be available for all winners no matter their location.
  • MiAlx
    Offline / Send Message
    MiAlx polycounter lvl 10
    I am super pumped for an animation category, thank you Adam/PC and Riot for organizing this! :D

I have two questions:

1) I am also a bit confused regarding the character models in the Animation category. I understand that we may use whatever rig we want for this, but is there any info as to how to get League of Legends character models (I don't mind having to rig them) or are we not supposed to use those? Or have I missed a link to rigged League characters? (i doubt that, but just to be sure)

We would encourage that you use another rig.

2) You wrote "High resolution image(s) from a frame of your animation capturing a strong dynamic pose", is this for each of the two animations? Should the final submission be a dynamic image/frame of the cycle, then the playblasts and followed by a dynamic image/frame of the special move and the respective playblasts?

Yes. Submit two (2) images from the animations that best capture a dynamic pose.

• Xidon
    For the Illustation can we adjust current skins and/or create our own?

Welcome to the community Xidon. You can update, remake or use the original design(s) found in the game. It is really up to you. Just keep in mind that we want to see good storytelling and rendering in your work.
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Hey everyone!

Great questions so far. The folks at Riot will back in the office in a few hours to answer your questions. In the mean time, the sub-forums for each of the 5 disciplines are now open for new threads.
  • TAN
    Offline / Send Message
    TAN polycounter lvl 12
    Blaizer wrote: »

For European participants, we won't have this issue of discrimination? or yes?

+ 11111111111....

Hell yeah. I am exactly in that category. So what'll it be ??

We completely understand that this is an important topic. I answered Alberto's question here: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2153957&postcount=24
  • Overmind5000
    Offline / Send Message
    Overmind5000 polycounter lvl 11
    Can we have more than one entry per category? Not as in Spambot mode, but as in one or two extra if you have time to kiil.

From the FAQ:
    I am interested in multiple categories, is it possible to submit art to multiple categories?
  • Demno
    Offline / Send Message
    Demno polycounter lvl 6
    Eckxter wrote: »
    Two questions for the VFX category:
    1) "2 unique spells", does this mean that they have to be completely new, non-existing spells?
    Or is it allowed to re-design existing spells with different visuals?

2) The FAQ states that we can use any software we feel comfortable with.
    Does this also count for VFX? For example, can the submission be a Maya render or does it need to be implemented in a game engine (its particle editor)?

Thx
    Eckxter

I really hope prerendered (like maya) won't be allowed since that would be a massive advantage over an in engine shot, even if you use the same techniques. If anything, playblasts would be closer.
  • mmerchante
    Offline / Send Message
    mmerchante polycounter lvl 7
    I have some vfx questions too:

- Even if we can do the entry in any software, are there any limitations on the tech? For example, I guess fluid sim is out of the question for realtime. Are we limited to particles? Meshes? etc :)

We are not discouraging the use of fluid simulation software however we DO encourage conveying the practical application into a game engine. For example, creating a flip-book out of an amazing fluid simulation. Always keep in mind the art direction of League of Legends.

- Should we deliver an interactive executable to show it is indeed realtime?

That is not required.

- Can we create our own custom shaders for the effect?

Absolutely.
  • Demno
    Offline / Send Message
    Demno polycounter lvl 6
    Well, the VFX specifc rules stated:
    What to deliver
    Submit a render in Quicktime H264 format from the front, side and ¾ views
    High resolution image(s) from a frame of your effect capturing a moment in time with the best shape language

So I don't think you need to provide an exe.
    I would also assume you can create your own shaders (otherwise the UE4/udk peeps will be screwed :P)

See responses above.
  • iangoold3d
    Offline / Send Message
    iangoold3d polycounter lvl 5
    as for the VFX artist,
    I would assume the FX's would have to be in realtime (engine)

See responses above.

also you mentioned posting WIP's where is that done?

The WIPs go here: http://www.polycount.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=92

Very excited !!!!
  • [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Gisalmeida
    I'm from Brazil ( ~Gisalmeida on the BR Server), can I join the contest?

Yes.
  • makecg
    If I do a character like Yorick can I model his Ghouls as well ?

Sure!
  • Denny
    Offline / Send Message
    Denny polycounter lvl 14
    Can we start a resources sticky and gather up useful tips/sites etc.? :)

Example: http://www.lolking.net/models
    That's a great resource. :)
  • Vertrucio
    Offline / Send Message
    Vertrucio greentooth
    I noticed that Riot will own all contest submissions at the end of this. It's reasonable for avoiding legal issues, but just wanted to make sure that if say, they wanted to use an amazing model as a new skin later on, that artist might be paid properly for his work (assuming he didn't win).

I don't ask this for my own work, I'm still learning, but every artist out there sees those shady as heck "art contests" that are just an excuse to farm free labor.

None of the work from this contest will go into our game. We are not asking for the actual source files. We have to put in terms like this to protect the company.
  • awied18
    So for the illustration we have to make a forum right? What needs to be in it? Just sketch progress until the finished product?

Welcome to the community awied18. Yes, make a thread and start to post your progress. We love to see individual's process.
  • Nandobuga
    Offline / Send Message
    Nandobuga polycounter lvl 2
    I have a doubt. If a friend of mine join the category of illustration with an original piece, can I join in another category using his art as a reference? Like Character and Animation category.
    Or it will be judge like a team job?

Welcome to the community Nandobuga. This will be seen as working in a team. This is an individual competition. Also, you want to give yourself the most time available to create your entry and waiting for someone to finish their part would put more pressure on you.
  • Nandobuga
    Offline / Send Message
    Nandobuga polycounter lvl 2
    I have a doubt. If a friend of mine join the category of illustration with an original piece, can I join in another category using his art as a reference? Like Character and Animation categories? We are trying to do a complete new skin.

Or it will be judge as team work?

Welcome to the community Nandobuga. This will be seen as working in a team. This is an individual competition. Also, you want to give yourself the most time available to create your entry and waiting for someone to finish their part would put more pressure on you.
  • Raul-Arukana
    Is scanned traditional work accepted?, or does it have to be pure digital?

I am assuming you are asking about the illustration portion of the contest. You are allowed to use traditional media. Having a piece with great dynamic anatomy, storytelling and rendering would still be eligible for winning the contest even if it is traditional.
  • Pa8ha
    For the Illustration it has to be a digital painting correct?

See post above. You can use traditional media.
  • art.Rishabh
    I just wanted to know about the art style before starting off.
    It should be stylized like in the game or it could be realistic.??

The assets need to match the art direction of the current illustrations and game. The art direction is stylized.
  • hyrun
    What is the budget for the low-poly piece?

As found under the bullets under the both the character and environment categories, there are no hard limits on polycounts but efficiency is appreciated: use your best judgment and make every polygon count
  • s0id3
    Offline / Send Message
    s0id3 polycounter lvl 8
    Could we get some camera setting specification, like angle, and FOV. so best match the view League of Legends is seen so when we composite assets over screenshots of the map it will match up

The angle to use is around 55 degrees with the FOV being 40.
  • aristides
    Offline / Send Message
    aristides polycounter lvl 6
    Are there any specifications about the size of the enviro assets? All I've seen so far is that turrets, inhibitors and monster dens are all fit into a square so they can't be, for example, 5 miles long and 10 feet wide. But even then they can't be very big. The size will effect asset's texture density, so how should we decide what size our assets should be? Maybe in relation to an average character?

There are no hard limits on polycounts but efficiency is appreciated: use your best judgment and make every polygon count. Please look at screenshots of turrets and inhibitors from LoL. This will help you understand the scale of these assets.
  • Nexebo
    Are residents of the state of Vermont allowed to participate?

Yes?
  • Christian Nordgren
    Offline / Send Message
    Christian Nordgren polycounter lvl 11
    Regarding the VFX contest

"There are three (3) components to this effect:
    Build Up
    Release
    Impact"

Is this a must? What If I would want to design a effect that would require me to change order or add more of these "moments"?

This is how we will judge the effects. LoL is an eSport so this is extremely important. You only have a few moments to get off an effect in a MOBA. In more cinematic games, these types of components can be tweaked or changed.

Yes I understand that the effect needs to be clear and fast.
    But is it okay if I try to make spells that are more complicated ex:
    What if I made a spell that summons a portal that spawn ghosts to attack the enemy? Then the build up would look like this:

Build Up
    Release
    Impact
    Build Up
    Release 2
    Impact 2

Sure.
  • blubloodrazberry
    Offline / Send Message
    blubloodrazberry polycounter lvl 6
    Can we have more than one entry per category? Not as in Spambot mode, but as in one or two extra if you have time to kiil.

From the FAQ:

hello, maybe i misunderstood the original question, but i thought Overmind5000 was asking if we can submit multiple entries into one category. for example, are we allowed to submit 3 illustrations into the illustration category? or is it just one per category, like one animation, one illustration, one character art?

thank you!

I apologize. Sure. If you follow all the requirements and feel you can create two (2) full entries for this contest, then please do so.
  • Silvarspark
    Offline / Send Message
    Silvarspark polycounter lvl 3
    Some more questions for the illustration part:
    1) It only states 3000pixel wide, but what about the height ?
    Does the format not matter ?

The team paints at 7000 x 4130. The format really does not matter. We are not using these images for the game. We just want it big enough so that we can see your painting ability.

2) I take it as making a new splash art for a champ or one of his existing skins.
    But what about our own skin ideas ? Something that doesnt exist in the game. Is it ok to make a splash art for (example) "Zombie Jinx" ?

Yes. Have fun with the contest. As stated earlier, just make sure you can tell it is the character in question and tell a compelling story in your illustration.
This discussion has been closed.