pongstah polycounter lvl 12
WIP PROGRESS

MUSEUM ENTRANCE
vYD4KeRjpg

4dLhqZ6jpg

poxLouqjpg

rUAXUzxjpg

iCS25vrjpg

Mythology scene from concept to engine.  (looks like engine part will have to wait until I get sorted out so in the mean time I paint paint paint) :)

Hi, I need help picking which image to continue with. Thanks in advance, crits also welcome.

4dLhqZ6jpg
    poxLouqjpg

Replies

• BeserK
      Options
      Offline / Send Message
      BeserK polycounter lvl 12
      They both look great so far, I really like the rain through the god rays.
      The blurriness in the first pic is a little off-putting, make it looks like a miniature scene :P
    • Auldbenkenobi
      Options
      Offline / Send Message
      Auldbenkenobi polycounter lvl 11
      I really like the first one, the sense of scale seems to work better.
    • samnwck
      Options
      Offline / Send Message
      samnwck polycounter lvl 9
      The first one is definitely neat and I think it has more visually interesting design elements in the foreground.
    • j.god
      Options
      Offline / Send Message
      j.god polycounter lvl 4
      I really like the first one as well. I might darken some of the clouds in the upper left to create some spacial effects. The lightning bold on the far right, although might be physically possible, looks odd with the other two striking directly down. But I think overall its much more dramatic and visually interesting. I might vary up the bird formation as well.

Great work and I look forward to seeing your progress on this piece.
    • pongstah
      Options
      Offline / Send Message
      Thanks for the replies. Here's some more work done on the first image. I've lost the sense of scale from moving the elements around. I'll try to fix that later. Also hid the foreground layer, can't seem to get the DOF to look right at all, might also just delete the lightning, it looks a bit distracting.

cGMDhiF.jpg
    • pongstah
      Options
      Offline / Send Message
      Haven't worked on fixing the individual details yet. Here are some new revisions, which composition is better? The first one's viewpoint is the same level as the torso of the statue, the second one's viewpoint is lower and is angled higher almost looking up, will need to change the statue's pose and perspective to reflect this. Thanks.

oe7CiuE.jpg
      On9KAdB.jpg
    • Boozebeard
      Options
      Offline / Send Message
      Boozebeard polycounter lvl 11
      the first one is way better in terms of the position of the monument at sea.
    • pongstah
      Options
      Offline / Send Message
      Thanks for the input, made changes to the overall composition. Made the scene a bit simpler to bring the focus back to the landscape and statue.

lpJDbnW.jpg
    • jsargent
      Options
      Offline / Send Message
      jsargent polycounter lvl 5
      This is nice, I still much prefer the first composition though. Gonna follow this one!
    • TylerKnighton
      Options
      Offline / Send Message
      love the work you did on this, though i liked seeing the rain inside the god rays. It gave it a Heavenly feeling
    • pongstah
      Options
      Offline / Send Message
      Thanks, I'm thinking of saving the godrays and rain for a different composition, it makes the scene look gloomy to me. For this one, I'm going for going for a calmer mood.

I'll add brush strokes later for a painterly look.

xfhZz5Q.jpg
    • pongstah
      Options
      Offline / Send Message
      Started painting, haven't detailed the statue yet.

SIi3yIM.jpg
      rUAXUzx.jpgowBb00J.jpg
      zByAxfU.jpg
    • pongstah
      Options
      Offline / Send Message
      Flipped the image to check if the compostition is ok. Going to add a platform on the foreground pillar for the char to stand on.

Starting to look more like an office environment than ancient Greece. I'll change the camera angle to show more of the landscape.

iXPxgyY.jpg

Removed post effects.

Can anybody pm me a link where I can purchase QUALITY high resolution unedited landscape pictures? I already have bookmarks for HDRI and tileable textures but I haven't found a site with quality high resolution landscape images. Thanks.

dBd5yQB.jpg
    • pongstah
      Options
      Offline / Send Message
      Trying some stock photo for the background before I buy.

The atmosphere looks a bit ominous atm, I'm actually after divine but not too surreal. Not sure how to achieve this yet.

Y6NP24A.jpg

paintovers

AIZ0tSL.jpg
      HsiwThR.jpg

...actually melancholic seems to work for this shot, so sticking to this palette

6gJhwVD.jpg

skin render test, not sure if adding a character will improve or ruin the composition

sHP1kwR.jpg

going in circles

yv8S2GL.jpg
      czGOnyy.jpg

...better get back to modeling
    • pongstah
      Options
      Offline / Send Message
      more lighting and composition study. I feel that I can't move forward until I nail this part down.

q9lUdRT.jpg
    • pongstah
      Options
      Offline / Send Message
      taking my time with this key art making exercise to get it looking presentable.

HFl5m7N.jpg
    • Stirls
      Options
      Offline / Send Message
      Stirls polycounter lvl 8
      I saw another artist here working with the golden mean in their environment. Perhaps consider it when you're working on the composition?

spiral-copy.jpg

http://www.apogeephoto.com/may2014/how-to-use-the-golden-ratio-to-improve-your-photography.shtml

I really like how you've made the statue absolutely massive. The mountain as a backing also helps to accentuate this. I think that works better than the watery, island background you currently have. Perhaps try casting a mountain shadow over some of the statue?
    • pongstah
      Options
      Offline / Send Message
      Thanks for the link, never really paid attention to this during college...haha

Yes I think removing the mountain changed the dynamics of the image greatly. I'll try to incorporate it back into the design somehow, probably indirectly as you've suggested.
    • pongstah
      Options
      Offline / Send Message
      Thanks. I think this iteration is closer to the mood I was aiming for.

Here I tried to loosely follow the Fibonacci spiral. Still need to work on softening the effect of the clashing diagonal lines. Probably also need to change the pose to a have an organic flowing motion.

I'm thinking of putting an ancient relic on the left platform to help guide the flow of the compostiion

3zp0BhW.jpg
    • Stirls
      Options
      Offline / Send Message
      Stirls polycounter lvl 8
      Definitely liking this one. My only complaint would be that the platform sorta seems to be out of nowhere. Have you considered what might be in the background? What about removing the cropping/black bars?

I think it just feels a bit barren currently. I can see what you're trying to do, though. You need to tie it together!
    • pongstah
      Options
      Offline / Send Message
      Yes the platform looks a bit odd, balancing this part has become a bit of a challenge. I want the scene to look like it's part of a large city without showing too many structures. You're right about the background, I think I can just put something there instead of having a platform in the foreground, perhaps a large waterfall or fountain structure.

AoxqWQs.jpg
    • pongstah
      Options
      Offline / Send Message
      I'm thinking of just replacing my Athena mesh with Poseidon, seems more logical, less accessories to detail as well.

t7SEOkt.jpg
      U5kMT1K.jpg
    • pmiller001
      Options
      Offline / Send Message
      pmiller001 greentooth
      the last few, it looks like the statue is on vacation and taking pictures for post cards.
      All jokes aside, compositionally I like your earlier iterations better, specifically the 6th post. IT has a much better sense of scale IMO.
    • pongstah
      Options
      Offline / Send Message
      Thanks. :) Yes I've lost the dramatic mood from the first iterations, still trying to figure out how to tackle this challenge.
    • pongstah
      Options
      Offline / Send Message
      I think bringing the camera closer to the statue restored the original sense of scale and height. Now I can probably put a freeze on the positioning and start detailing.

The structure on the left is a tall wall/pathway that I will detail with small winged statues.

iCS25vr.jpg
    • CarlCraft
      Options
      Offline / Send Message
      CarlCraft polycounter lvl 9
      I'm not really convinced on the statues scale. I think I know what's bothering me; Even though it's cloudy and gray, the statue is lit as if there's a clear blue sky. If the statue truly is massive it would be surrounded by fog, or at least be dimmed by it. I did a super quick paint over:
      uwcUoT9.jpg
      Also brought back the birds (I know they're actually leaves, just imagine they're birds :D) for scale reference. I think the details to the structure will help with this, but having birds ON the statue will be a more hands on reference.
      Edit: I also think bringing in some background elements would push it to the next level. Currently there is foreground (structure) and "middle" ground (p.o.i: statue) but no background. Bring back mountains maybe?
    • Stirls
      Options
      Offline / Send Message
      Stirls polycounter lvl 8
      Have you thought of placing a person there? That would most definitely show us the scale. As callebo said, a more obvious background would also work well, for sure.
    • pongstah
      Options
      Offline / Send Message
      callebo wrote: »
      I'm not really convinced on the statues scale. I think I know what's bothering me; Even though it's cloudy and gray, the statue is lit as if there's a clear blue sky. If the statue truly is massive it would be surrounded by fog, or at least be dimmed by it. I did a super quick paint over:
      uwcUoT9.jpg
      Also brought back the birds (I know they're actually leaves, just imagine they're birds :D) for scale reference. I think the details to the structure will help with this, but having birds ON the statue will be a more hands on reference.
      Edit: I also think bringing in some background elements would push it to the next level. Currently there is foreground (structure) and "middle" ground (p.o.i: statue) but no background. Bring back mountains maybe?

I see what you mean, sometimes though, I observe this fogging depends on the time of day. not really sure. Could be the background looking really lowres and flat thats contributing to the lack of massiveness on the statue. :D

Yes I'm thinking of adding birds but I'm not sure what kind to put there. I was planning on putting seagulls at first but at that height I imagine only predatory birds can reach it.

For the background I might put other tall massive structures far in the background to establish depth.
      Stirls wrote: »
      Have you thought of placing a person there? That would most definitely show us the scale. As callebo said, a more obvious background would also work well, for sure.

Yes I plan to add a character there. Maybe a common villager... or a champion type. Part of me wants to add some magic-scifi elements to the theme similar to those found in the Thor movies' universe, part of me wants to keep it just fantasy-magic... in the mean time here's some characters I'm working on. Thanks.

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2220914
    • pongstah
      Options
      Offline / Send Message
    • pongstah
      Options
      Offline / Send Message
    • pongstah
      Options
      Offline / Send Message
    • pongstah
      Options
      Offline / Send Message
      Switching over to painting once again, suggestions are welcome. Tell me if there is already a too similar design out there so I can change mine.

kuT435yjpg

*made a separate threads for this here so I can get foused feedback.
    • pongstah
      Options
      Offline / Send Message
      Trying to wrap this up as quickly as I can. I think I have a solid composition now with the foreground, middle ground and background in place. In the foreground I'm thinking of putting a stone block and a person resting his hand on it and in the background some buildings. The My goal is still for this scene to look more fantasy than realistic but but with the statue being of normal size proportionate to other structures in the scene instead of my original monument sized composition. I want the scene to look like the veiwer is entering a new location or has reached a new area. For the fantasy part, I'm thinking of adding a glowing tattoo on the characters hand. I'm still at a lost on how to compose the background buildings though, thanks in advance for any suggestions on this.

vYD4KeRjpg