Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Just a church

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
.polygon polycounter lvl 11
Hey Polycount, just wanted to post what I have been working on. Check it out, C & C are welcomed.
I also updated my portfolio site. Still not finished but it shows more 3d art from the past years. http://lylethompson.weebly.com/ C & C are welcomed on my site also.

XQhqUFp.jpg
wGrkH8x.jpg

wireframe below
NTU1Z6l.png
This image shows how i broke out what materials will be needed
xXdUKrD.png
some of the zbrush sculpts
FvSt6jR.jpg
thanks for looking!

Replies

• DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    All of the edges are rather sharp. Stone blocks, especially rough stones, tend to have a beveled edge.
    919_RumbleStnLgGray_Silo-588x300.jpg
    The edges also tend to become softer over time; some of these churches have been standing exposed to the elements for centuries.
  • Carabiner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Carabiner greentooth
    Man, this looks really clean. I dig it a lot. I see what the person above me is saying about the edges, but I do also like how clean your version looks.

One thing I'm noticing is that there's sort of a greenish hue at the top of the large shape that contains the doors/sculpture. The shape with the cross on top of it. (Does that make sense?). I think it might be a lighting thing -- looks like there are some little lights in there? It looks a little strange right now because I can't see the whole lights in any of the images you posted, except for a tiny peek of one in the second picture.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Just some really good work.
  • elementrix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    elementrix polycounter lvl 15
    Very clean work, shows you've got quite some skills =). I do feel like the church could benefit from some well placed decals to show that it's been standing there for quite a while. Doesn't have to destroy look your currently having but I think it would help to make a bit more believable.

and maybe spend a little more time on the stained glass so it doesn't just look like a photoshop filter:P?
  • Dragonar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dragonar polycounter lvl 10
    Just really nice ! Can you maybe make a tuto for your texturing work flow plz ? :)
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Have a look at Damian "teaandcigarettes" Lazarski's paper on reducing seams on environment art https://sites.google.com/site/seamlessandunique/. You could use the technique he does for his windows on your arch. And there's a bunch of other stuff in there you should try, like the vertex paint stuff.

I really like it! Good material definition and readability all around. Your reliefs may be a bit mooshy though, maybe something worth going back to and giving an other shot?
  • .polygon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks guys, this image should help with the look i was going for.
    3zObSul.jpg
    But i do like the idea of putting in some decals on the edges to get some slight damage in some areas.
    -sltrOlsson, thanks that paper is great, lot of good info there. Yeah the main relief is a little mushy. i tried the using multiple maps on a plane in zbrush to get that. can you have vertex color in marmoset?
    -Dragonar its just starting out with the normal map and going from there. nothing special.
    -elementrix thanks, yes decals will help. and the stain glass was kind of simple looking, i'll tweak it a little.
    thanks again guys, This is the kind of feedback i was looking for! any other feed back on this or my web site would be cool also.
  • misterboogie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    misterboogie polycounter lvl 11
    This is some seriously clean, professional work. Well done. My only crit would be the lighting of the top window surfaces,...the normal gets lost a bit in your beauty shots. Can you post a shot of your maps? I would love to see how you organized them. :)
  • narticus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    narticus polycounter lvl 7
    Looking great! One thing I noticed is the line where the cornice above the entrance (3 inverted Vs)meets the wall below it. It seems to just meet up with it flush, where it should stand off a bit from the wall. Know what I mean? Sorry I don't have time to mark it up at the moment, but if that's unclear let me know.
  • Bunnirobotcat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bunnirobotcat polycounter lvl 6
    what's the polycount of this? amazing work .polygon. seriously cray cray with details.
  • .polygon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    its a little over 57K tris.
    One other thing I modeled the same church 10 years ago! PS2 resolution(4888 tris). check it out.
    85IAKjC.jpg
  • Chimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    haha, what a nice round trip you've made - here's to another 10 years.
  • Cheathem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheathem polycounter lvl 6
    Wow, love seeing your progress, especially through the same model :D I think some wear and tear on some of the corners would help though. Like the corner supports on the towers, their so straight and clean cut. Looks awesome man!
  • Cheathem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheathem polycounter lvl 6
    Oh, and would you mind sharing the textures you used? would love to check them out :D