Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Monthly Community Noob Challenge October 2014 (24)

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Wulf polycounter lvl 7
mbpXwp9.png
mh3YXGP.png
•
•

Hello everyone and welcome to the Monthly Noob Challenge for the month of October.

Welcome to the third installment of the Noob Challenge under new leadership. I've decided to fit this month's challenge to the match the holiday of Halloween that we celebrate this month!

Join our Skype group if you want! Add me on Skype and I will add you to the group.
Me: noble.wulf

You don't have to join the Skype if you don't want to though, and you don't need to ask to participate in the challenge, just start working on it and post your progress in this thread!

KF4R9g8.png

6Fd2IJm.jpg

Artist - RogierB
http://rogierb.deviantart.com/

5Twoeut.png

For anyone wondering about the absence of the prop challenge this month, it wasn't including in order for more focus to be on the theme of the challenge this month. But feel free to make anything Halloween related, even though it's not officially a part of this month's challenge.

5SGB61o.png

For this month's challenge in particular, the goal doesn't just pertain to the concept given above. While you guys will be trying to replicate the given concept, I would also like to ask you guys to add a sense of Halloween feel into your artwork as well. Whether that be the addition of various Jack-O-Lanterns, or even swarms of bats flying overhead. Let your creativity run free this time around, while still maintaining that eerie and ominous feel that we are trying to convey this month!

There are some things that I would like to point out to for newcomers.
If you only want to do a few props as best you can, then feel free to go ahead and do it. This way you can gradually work on building up to a full scene before diving head-first into the whole ordeal.

B3Uy2w0.png

Please read all the rules before starting.

When you are just starting out making a scene, it can seem complicated or imposing, so take the time to break it down.

Think about how you can re-use assets, re-use textures, break it down as simple as possible and plan it out. A lot of people will break it down in their own way when they start out their challenge. Gather some reference images as well for different parts of the scene, maybe gather some refs and make it your own.

Take your time planning and blocking out, it will set you up for success later on.

Here are some specifics.
  • Try to post one critique for every post that you make. This will make for a better learning environment and help us all grow as artists.

• You must make your own textures, no stealing. We can't keep you from doing it, but the goal is to learn. You can use other textures and images to create your final texture, but please, no blatant copying of another artist's work.
  • You must use a game engine to present your work. Unreal Engine and CryEngine are very common engines that can be used, but feel free to use any alternatives that you want.

• You must try your best and finish as much as you can in the timeframe provided.

• Post what you are working on in this thread so that way it's a more centralized place for advice and critique. We don't need to have 1000 disjointed threads littering the forums.

• I would strongly encourage you to go and look at other games and see how they make their assets as well as get concept art to give it your own feel, but it must stay very close to the concept, if not super close.

• Please stay away from using Ddo. It's great if you know what you're doing, and for a production pipeline supplement, but other than that, please don't use it. Ndo2 is allowed. This was talked about in the other thread, so please don't complain.

• Well that's about it. If you think that any rules should be changed, or there should be new additions to the rules, please let us know.
All that matters is that you learn, while being able to effectively critique others, as well as accept critiques on your own work. Remember to have fun! Cheers!

Replies

• KennyTies
    This sounds like fun and including the Halloween theme makes it even better. I will have to see how my schedule plays out.
  • sziada
    Offline / Send Message
    sziada polycounter lvl 11
    Started my block out and lighting :)
    xI0B5l4.png
  • Mr Flopsie
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Flopsie polycounter lvl 5
    I had hoped on a separate prop challenge as I don't really have time for a scene. And I'm not comfortable enough with the workflow yet as we are still learning that in the lessons.
    Anyway, good luck everyone!
  • atomander
    Offline / Send Message
    atomander polycounter lvl 7
    I too would be potentially interested in a prop!
  • Cheeky_Pickle
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheeky_Pickle polycounter lvl 9
    @Mr Flopsie & @atomander I think there are other challenges you can join in for that sort of thing such as the 'Weekly Hard Surface Challenge' and the 'Monthly Firearm Challenge'.

@sziada Cool, good start :D

I'm going to join in on this one, I'm still a total noob to the whole production so this should help me a ton!
  • kadeschui
    Offline / Send Message
    kadeschui greentooth
    Sounds like fun! Hopefully I'll have time to jump in on this one.

@Sziada - Looking nice! Are you using BSPs or importing static meshes?

Here's some wood texture references and a great tutorial on hand painting wood textures by Philip K:

http://www.pinterest.com/rachelclark5205/painted-wood-textures/

http://www.philipk.net/tutorials/materials/woodrough/woodrough.html
  • sziada
    Offline / Send Message
    Importing static meshes, prefer working in max and cheers for the tuts.:)
  • littleclaude
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    This might be of some inspiration. There's a haunted pub up for sale in England and even at a reduced price the owner can not get ride of it.

• A demonic black-eyed child regulaly screams and terrifies boozers.

• Demonic phantom figure often spotted out side staring menacingly at the pub.

• Piano playing by itself

• Glasses flying, objects like candelabrum's falls over blocking people path.

• Crying from the toilets when no one is there.

If you don't believe a word and that story does not put you off running a pub now's the time to buy it :)

Here is the full story - http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/402776/The-pub-everyone-s-scare-to-buy-Screaming-ghoul-terrifies-punters

All he wants is a pint! :)
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHiHZPe4C4k#t=73
  • Vincent3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Vincent3d polycounter lvl 2
    Can we use Marmoset Toolbag to render?
  • iFraude
    Offline / Send Message
    iFraude polycounter lvl 10
    Hi there !

First challenge ever for me, glad to join in :). Here's my first update. I tried to block most things out and set up the scene pretty much like as seen on the concept.
    Next to come : more blocking out !
    @kadeschui : Thanks for the tuts mate, it's going to be very helpful in the near future !

2yonw5k.jpg
  • inwar
    Offline / Send Message
    inwar polycounter lvl 11
    thrown a bunch of place holders in mine. using this months as an opportunity to learn ue4.
    HighresScreenshot00000.jpg
  • sgt.wulf
    First pass of blockout.

58EBv1O.jpg
  • Cheeky_Pickle
    Offline / Send Message
    @Inwar & @iFraude looking great guys! I'm also going to be setting up my scene in UDK, and any tips would be greatly appreciated I've never used it before!

Here is my blockout, this is my first environment so I'm learning all the processes as I go along.

teSnu1L.png
  • beanster
    Offline / Send Message
    beanster polycounter lvl 2
    Very nice work people so far.
    New to polycount and decided to enter this little challenge.
    Just blocked out the two major structures and did a test on the fabric as a proof of concept.

Rendered in unity3d
    3fHiTRU.png

Learnt a few tricks through this challenge already which is pretty nifty!
  • toxkillfraex
    Offline / Send Message
    toxkillfraex polycounter lvl 9
    Decided to join in and am going to use this to try and remedy a big hole in my skill set and that is Zbrush. I'm currently on a weird love hate relation with the program and am leaning more to hate atm though I appreciate what it's capable of. I'm also in need of some distraction when my school projects decide to run aground and block up. All that together will probably mean I won't finish this in a month... So when this thread 'should die' I'll probably finish it up in my sketch book thread.

anyho... Blockout start still fiddling with placement, pole heights and viewing angle. I'll do the final renders in UE4 Once I have proper assets.

blockout_zps3a279db9.jpg
  • [Deleted User]
    Heres my super messy blockout. Couldn't get perspective match in 3dsmax to work properly with this concept :(

00ozUXp.jpg
  • PrimePriest
    Offline / Send Message
    PrimePriest polycounter lvl 3
    Blockouts look pretty solid so far.
    Here's mine piece of work. My first environmental challenge.

u83JhFC.jpg

Blobby shapes to the left are supposed to represent foliage placement.
  • shakeyyjakeyy
    Hey guys, quick question. What technique is best for achieving the gaps in the shed?

Also here is some W.I.P.

chsUvXY.jpg
  • PrimePriest
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, quick question. What technique is best for achieving the gaps in the shed?

I was thinking maybe create about 10 unique individual planks and essentially build the hut from them?

But I'm big noob at environment art, so perhaps I'm missing something.
    Maybe some trickstery with alpha channel is more valid way to go.
  • beanster
    Offline / Send Message
    beanster polycounter lvl 2

How i'm going to tackle this is by taking my shed with the textures applied and then in your modelling program slowly chip pieces from the object based on the texture (line up cracks with edges of the planks)
  • MDStranger
    Here's my blockout, rendered in 3DSMax atm, gonna add more Halloween stuff to it next, thinking of a ghost outfit hanging off of one of the poles or something, or rotten jack-o-lanterns scattered around1_zpscca20a56.png
  • JFROSTBYTE
    Offline / Send Message
    JFROSTBYTE polycounter lvl 4
    Hey guys! nice block out everyone. This is my progress over the weekend. Currently focused on the right house, which will make the other houses go faster. I thought about making the house with flat planes but i wanted the cracks so i decided to go with individual planks. I am going to do something similar with the roof. I plan on getting my scene to look as close to the concept as possible an then add some halloween elements after.

Mqh09MN.jpg
    2xFQleK.jpg
  • pmiller001
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    So I guess Marmoset is out of the question?
  • pmiller001
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    Ok so I was looking at how others had started doing enviroments, I noticed they were doing breakdowns. So I tried to emulate what another user was doing (Sweetangel0467). They made a breakdown with colors on the enviroment.

Red: Unique props
    Dark Blue: Tileable textures
    Light Blue: Modular prop
    Yellow: Reusable prop

I'm not sure what modular props are, so if y'all would be so kind to let me know what those are, and if i missed anything?
    Thanks y'all!

H7dEJNX.jpg
  • DIABL0X
    Offline / Send Message
    DIABL0X polycounter lvl 5
    Hey Guys, this will be my first Polycount Challenge :)
    Nice Blockouts everyone, i´m not finished with blocking out and planning yet, trying to get the feeling and the right composition of the concept.
    I will take this chance to learn more about Unreal 4 / Material Editor.
    Everything is just a placeholder, quickly made some trees and placed them around, have fun guys! :)
    blockout_by_diabl0x-d8213qr.jpg
  • conghal
    Offline / Send Message
    conghal polycounter lvl 3
    Woo, nailing down lighting, proportions, layout, etc. Guess I'll get started on the textures and the foliage in a bit.

HqqBNC3.png

Maybe it's just that I grew up in the country, but the concept doesn't read as creepy to me and I'm not interested in pushing it towards that. I think it's mostly the chimneys. The building in the front could be creepy except that the gaps in the wall wouldn't make sense in a climate where you'd would need a fireplace for heat, so with the chimney and the tools out front, it seems more like a forge or some kind of workshop. Same with the one in the back, it's almost a creepy barn, but with the chimney it would have to be a dining hall or something along those lines. Also the warm lights. The blue channel on its own is a bit creepy, looks like it could be a ghost town, no lights in the buildings, just crows. Eh, just thinking out loud, I guess.

Anyways, here's another angle with more light:
    SDw2bYt.png

It's pretty subtle, but I found that putting the closer building up on a hill about 1 meter higher than the other building helped with the sense of space.

Alrighttt. All of your block-outs are definitely looking great, I'm very excited to see how everything develops.
  • tannerhanss
    Been a polycounter for a few years now but haven't had the courage or time to try out one of these challenges....NOT ANYMORE, I felt like this one was a good first timer. So here is my blockout from the this week, guess I got a little excited and carried away... Having too much fun in UE4 :)

XmJvSUc.jpg

Most assets are place-holder, still need to take another go at the fog.

Im happy a lot of people are participating! Keep up the good work, everyone!
  • mr grimm
    Offline / Send Message
    mr grimm polycounter lvl 9
    Wow, this thread really caught some traction quickly on. I'll start blocking out and lighting tomorrow. Next post will be progress. Keep up the good work guys.
  • pmiller001
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    @tannerhanns - Man I am excited to see how that comes out! I think the light pole in the front needs to be bigger. in the concept art its taller. the one on the far left
  • sziada
  • PrimePriest
    Offline / Send Message
    sziada: Man what's up with the shading on the background house? But as it's just a blockout I guess it doesn't matter.

Anyway...I started working on the little shed in the front.

E2z8MGp.png

Decided to create 5 different planks and instance them to build the structure. Which probably resulted in way too many polys.

I have a question. I am little bit confused about the roof. What is it made of? Same kind of wooden planks as walls but simply bigger and wider?
  • Cheeky_Pickle
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is my update, I'm working in Unreal now and it's quite difficult to get the atmosphere right. I'm going to be watching some tutorials.

I have some questions if anyone knows!

1. How do you prevent the light bleeding from the sides of your building where it shouldn't?

2. I'm a total noob when it comes to 3D workflow. I'm finding it difficult to know when to switch programmes? I'm working in 3dsmax for my models, when is it good to put them into Unreal?

3. Finally, as I'm using Unreal there seems to be these easy options to put materials onto your models. When is this method used and when should I be unwrapping the UVS in 3dsmax?

Thanks guys! :)

WMCAtpa.png
  • toxkillfraex
    Offline / Send Message
    SO in between school work and whenever I'm bored of said work I worked on a few wood planks, tiled them around a heavily downscaled version of the front house (since zbrush apparently works in miniature size not that surprised)

BuildingSculptPre_zpsdb2e98ba.png

Retopologized the roof by hand. I am slowly getting better at it BUT it's still a pain to do even with a half baked plan

BakeSourceRoof_zps8b72ef6e.png

Wireframe_zps64bf5d12.png

UnrealRoofNoRough_zpsb7377839.png

the material I shoved on it in unreal is really basic though. Normal map, ambient occlusion flat color and a number in the rough value... I am not going to do a full texture job on a third of a texture...

*reads around in previous posts*

@Holly Mellor: For the work flow I find that it doesn't really matter, but it's a good idea to export when the scale and rotation are final so you can reset it back to 100% scale and 0° rotation by appending the model to a neutral box on the same pivot. Last two scenes I did I only started exporting once I had all my walls, floors, ceiling and pillars down... no props ready at all.

It's also advisable especially with unreal to have an unwrap for non-primitives and since I've still seen it complain in 4 about overlapping UVs for lightbakes two decent-ish unwrap channels are best. One for materials and one without overlaps for lightbakes (sometimes I just go flatten mapping on the lightmap channel though... cus laziness).

As for the light bleeding foliage might help... never really managed to fix that myself and I only masked it with other lighting in other places =/
  • sziada
    Offline / Send Message
    sziada: Man what's up with the shading on the background house? But as it's just a blockout I guess it doesn't matter.

Anyway...I started working on the little shed in the front.

E2z8MGp.png

Decided to create 5 different planks and instance them to build the structure. Which probably resulted in way too many polys.

I have a question. I am little bit confused about the roof. What is it made of? Same kind of wooden planks as walls but simply bigger and wider?

Hey yeah, that house is still the block out I am planning to do more with it I am just trying to make quick iterations, but I don't have a lot of time atm with high school.
  • sziada
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is my update, I'm working in Unreal now and it's quite difficult to get the atmosphere right. I'm going to be watching some tutorials.

1. How do you prevent the light bleeding from the sides of your building where it shouldn't?

2. I'm a total noob when it comes to 3D workflow. I'm finding it difficult to know when to switch programmes? I'm working in 3dsmax for my models, when is it good to put them into Unreal?

3. Finally, as I'm using Unreal there seems to be these easy options to put materials onto your models. When is this method used and when should I be unwrapping the UVS in 3dsmax?

Thanks guys! :)

WMCAtpa.png
    if you want some atmosphere put some atmospheric fog on there also some more post process and light work will do it as well.
  • inwar
    Offline / Send Message
    inwar polycounter lvl 11
    got the cloth tarp in and been playing with lighting (ye i did a pumpkin too)
    Screenshot%202014-10-12%2004.00.29.png

you need to up the lightmap res on the landscape. You can do this under the lighting tab in the details tab. It uses texels per quad or somin like that which defaults at 1, try 2.
  • sziada
    Offline / Send Message
    A4kyfdk.jpg
    Uving and adding props to the scene going to do quite a bit more with this yet, I have a few plans for the shack, so stay posted for that. :)
  • Wulf
    Offline / Send Message
    Wulf polycounter lvl 7
    Very nice start tannerhanss. I like the lighting you have so far.
  • theonewhoknocks
    Offline / Send Message
    theonewhoknocks polycounter lvl 6
    Progress so far, started a bit late. But, was really excited to do this one. Planks are a hand painted wood texture, just tiled. I'm going to mess around more with the shader for it in Unreal.

Love your cloth inwar, and the lighting looks very nice. Do you have a normal on the cloth and cutouts in the alpha?

screenshot000031.jpg
  • inwar
    Offline / Send Message
    inwar polycounter lvl 11
    Here's a kinda bare ground texture with leaves+twigs that has tessellation in marmoset(wont do it in ue4). im thinking ill probably redo it with separate texture without leaves then another with all leaves, then have 3 transition masks for different amounts on the ground
    dELqfJt.jpg
    Do you have a normal on the cloth and cutouts in the alpha?
    ye, normal mapped and transparency in albedo alpha channel.
    lmb3XI8.jpg
    btw everyone else who use gloss textures you need to disable sRGB in the textures settings in UE4 for it to work like it should. something no one seems to mention :/
  • toxkillfraex
    Offline / Send Message
    inwar wrote: »
    btw everyone else who use gloss textures you need to disable sRGB in the textures settings in UE4 for it to work like it should. something no one seems to mention :/

You can revert UE4 from the color metal rough normal to the older spec glos diff norm ways? Or am I getting this wrong?
  • inwar
    Offline / Send Message
    inwar polycounter lvl 11
    You can revert UE4 from the color metal rough normal to the older spec glos diff norm ways? Or am I getting this wrong?
    there are both spec and metal inputs you just plug the one you want in you don't need to do anything special, and gloss and roughness is basically same texture and you need to do the sRGB disable for both for it to work as it should.
  • PrimePriest
    Offline / Send Message
    inwar: The cloth looks impressive. Can you share how you achieved realistically looking bends and wrinkles on the cloth? Did you do some sort of soft-body cloth simulation or is it just hand modelling?

Anyway, here's my attempt at generic grassy ground texture.
    m9avf2Q.jpg

I'll see how it looks in the scene and maybe change few things. It's fully procedural so if needed I can tweak it till the world ends. :)
  • Cheeky_Pickle
    Offline / Send Message
    Heya guys, looking good so far! I'm hoping I can get some more done on this before the end! It's been a great learning process for me so far!

Everyone's works so far are coming out great!

Quick question, I did my tarp in zbrush and modelled it as a high poly. It's in the picture below. So then after watching a few guides it seemed the next steps were to retopologise and get the normal from the high poly for the low poly model. So i've done this but not sure it's turned out so great! What programmes do you guys use for your normals?
    In the tutorial I watched they just produced it using the render to texture setting in 3dsmax. Is this viable? I know crazy bump creates much more higher res normals. Thanks guys!

Low poly on the left, high poly on the right.
    4wfhu8S.png
  • inwar
    Offline / Send Message
    inwar polycounter lvl 11
    So i've done this but not sure it's turned out so great! What programmes do you guys use for your normals?
    In the tutorial I watched they just produced it using the render to texture setting in 3dsmax. Is this viable? I know crazy bump creates much more higher res normals. Thanks guys!
    xNormal is considered the best program for most high>low baking (its also free and has nice tutorials available, like the eat3d one). crazy bump is a program that uses image filters to generate textures from other maps(normal from diffuse or height from normal etc)
    Can you share how you achieved realistically looking bends and wrinkles on the cloth? Did you do some sort of soft-body cloth simulation or is it just hand modelling?
    i created base in max then hand sculpted folds and wrinkles in zbrush.
  • Cheeky_Pickle
    Offline / Send Message
    @Inwar Okay great, I'll give it a go :). Thanks!
  • Terebellum
    Hey Everyone,

Ive started the environment Challenge for this month, this is my progress so far.
    z2vokWv.png

i'm also using modular pieces to make this project. here is a screen shot of them.

fpYEWbM.png
    Every one is doing such a great job this month.

tannerhanss I love your render so far is is so close to the concept.

toxkillfraex Your material and normal map is looking awesome.

inwar your cloth is looking so good that's what i'm working on at the moment.

keep up all the good work everyone is looking great.
  • Terebellum
  • JFROSTBYTE
    Offline / Send Message
    JFROSTBYTE polycounter lvl 4
    hey, good luck to the new comers. hope you have time to finish! This is progress so far. I am concentrating on the foreground and trying to make it as detailed as possible. I used marvelous designer for the base cloth and then refined it in zbrush. I created trees in speedtree but having problems with overlapping UVs in the light map. I am going to add a corn field on the left and a pumpkin patch on the right.

bwzQboy.jpg
  • theironpaw
    Offline / Send Message
    theironpaw polycounter lvl 7
    looking sweet JFROSTBYTE & everyone else on the topic posting. keen to see updates.