Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Anatomy Sculpt - crits wanted please

Yay! My account was re-activated!

I was hoping for some anatomy crits/paint-overs. This is my first real sculpt since recovering from nerve damage in my elbow. I wasn’t able to draw/sculpt for over a year. It’s just a simple male anatomy sculpt but I’d love to get some opinions before I moved forward. Thanks for any help in advance! Feels great to be back btw!

Here's the latest for him

MaleAnatomy13.jpg

First pass. I'm pleased with how this has improved. Thanks for all the help, everyone!
MaleAnatomy.png

Replies

• Shurkuris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shurkuris polycounter lvl 3
    I'm an amateur at best in human anatomy, so take this with a grain of salt...

Looking at the 2nd picture from the right, looks more like has boobs rather than some huge pecs. I think flattening would help a bit rather than being slanted as they are. (Show in 3rd picture)

Adding in some muscle definition in them would help.

Concerning your 3rd picture, I don't think the muscles in his upper-torso level are suppose to meet up together like that. Judging from google back muscle images, they should be separate from each-other.
    I don't see any indication of his spine either.

His biceps seem rather larger/more focused compared to the rest of his arm.
  • ozzy310
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ozzy310 polycounter lvl 8
    Need to work on those deltoids, make those shoulders I bit more wider considering the guy is built than normal.
  • Waterbear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    By work on deltoids, what do you mean? Make them a bit larger?

Thanks!
  • Anchang-Style
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anchang-Style polycounter lvl 7
    Abdominal Muscles are never symmetrical. Also they usually have S shaped lines going inwards not just an ellipse like bow.
    Also in the Abds the line below the belly botton might be a bit too strong. It looks like a 6 pack, which is not what the abs look like. There are 4 asymmetrical packs below the arch and 1 big pack down to the pubic bones
  • Waterbear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sounds good. I'll get on all those edits. I'll add the asymmetry a little later on.

Anything else?

Oh! Forgot to mention, he'll have briefs on in the final (client requested it), so no junk sculpting required on this guy.
  • Waterbear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Time to wrap it up for today. As always, any crits/paintovers are welcome!

UpdatedSculpt_002.jpg
  • Waterbear
  • Croftyness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Croftyness polycounter lvl 11
    Hope this helps.

Try using clay buildup. You can brush in the direction of the muscle and it tends to create a nice flow. If you want something to be bulky, brush in the alternative direction. For example if you needed rounded biceps you would stroke across at 90 degrees instead of tendon to tendon.

Damn standard will really help you "draw" the muscle boarders in. You can then use the previous bulking method to stroke up to the damn standard line. This will really separate the masses of muscle. If your guy becomes too cut you can go back with the clay brush to fill the harsh creases.
    5m3tbXS.jpg
  • Waterbear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bad ass! Thanks man. I'll get right on those and post again tomorrow. :)
  • Waterbear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Figured I would post what I came up with today, in case someone else stumbled across this post.

This is just what I did today, but it's now time to head home. Croftyness's excellent paint over will be what I tackle tomorrow. Cheers!

Overall, I want him to be in shape looking but not totally jacked, so I'm working on softening things a bit.

AnatomySculptDay3.png
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    Most glaring problem for now is basic shapes. Shape of the ribcage is all wrong and should be easily fixable. You can find out how it looks in anatomy books, drawing books or online 3d anatomy sites.

Also pelvic area. Once again, study books and try to understand how it should look like in all views. Study skeletal landmarks to place your bones properly.

There's plenty of problems with everything. Just keep studying the books, photos of bodybuilders and keep sculpting :)

Recommended reading: Richer.P.,Hale R.B.-Artistic Anatomy . Best illustrations around.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    K...

I think you understand what the muscles are, but you're not completely in full understanding of how they're all formed.

This is important, and this is what's holding you back.

So let me link you to a post I made about pectorals a while ago:
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1946653&postcount=54

It looks like you know what a pec is, and kinda sorta where it goes, but as of right now, its a big formless blob. that isn't really sure of where it starts or ends.

I took a high level anatomy Class by Scott Eaton, which I HIGHLY recommend you take (pretty much mandatory if you're serious about character art as a career).

http://www.scott-eaton.com/

Here's a few snippets of the homework we have to do:
    http://www.jacquechoi.com/Misc.html

To give you a bit of an understanding of how anatomy construction is supposed to work.
    Each muscle starts from a bone (origin point) and attaches to a completely other bone (Insertion).

The Orange Lines represent Boney Landmarks that are visible on the surface. Most muscles you see on the surface originate, and insert into these boney landmarks.

Feel free to google these ones from the torso:

- Acromion Process
    - Sternum
    - Thoracic Arch
    - Spine of the Scapula
    - Illiac Crest

But looking at reference, and trying to figure this out is still going to make it very difficult to understand. You really should take Scott Eaton's that class.
  • Waterbear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Now that's what I'm looking for! Thank you all :)

I was actually thinking that I really wanted to take a class again, any class. I'll have to look into that one since the topic is interesting. I'll check out that book too.

Ok, well, lets see how far I get today. On to zbrush!
  • Waterbear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn, got to go some web design today instead of 3D. Oh well :/
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    I strongly advise investing in one of these: http://www.anatomytools.com/famfv2-1-6scale-p542.php

and it IS an investment. it's a fairly hefty up-front cost, but it will return major dividends if you use it properly.
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Totally agree with almighty_gir! http://www.anatomytools.com/anmfv1-1-3scale-p13.php
    This is the greatest art tool investment I have made. I use it every time I do a new character...keeps me honest.
  • Waterbear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, I'll be picking one up!
  • Waterbear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, update time!

Things I tried to focus on:

-Croftyness's paint over
    - Tilted the pelvis
    - Pectorals
    - Flow in the legs
    -Boney landmarks (still probably missing a few)
    -Torso/hips
    -Missing leg muscles
    -Forearms

Things for later:
    -Hand, feet, face

Things that I'd like to hear people's opinions on:
    -I've love help on the 3/4 view torso. It looks off.
    -Thigh muscles, how are they looking? I'm wondering about the quad tendon.
    -Forearms - little bastards got muscles coming at you from everywhere! Very confusing to look at.
    -General leg shape
    -Boney landmarks, am I missing any?
    -Do you think the torso is too long?
    -And really anything else that irks you.

Thanks!
    MaleAnatomy4.png
  • ZippZopp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZippZopp polycounter lvl 12
    seems like you're making good progress. a few things that stick out to me

crotch area seems too short, which i feel is being caused by the obliques sitting far too low and that doesn't leave enough room for your hips. also, the thighs feel the same width from top to bottom, they're a bit blocky

from the front view the outer calf feels too bulbous while the inside of the calf is sitting up too high. you should get a diagonal line from the inside of the calf to the outer calf. the widest part on the inside should be lower than the widest part on the outside.

his neck feels a little bit too long

i'd also maybe widen the shoulders slightly. from the back view it looks like he is widest at a lower point on the lats, where I think he should be a tad bit wider up at the shoulder area

it looks like you've got a handle on where the muscles attach and the overall anatomy, but it is just the proportions and some small things that need some attention
  • Waterbear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks man!

Those are awesome points to hit tomorrow. I'll get right on it. :)
  • Waterbear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok! I have some updates here! I went through and tried to improve on everything ZippZopp mentioned: calves, neck, thighs, groin.

I spent a lot of time on the torso would like to hear people's opinions on it. I'm trying to "soften" him up over all so he looks in shape (like 10-15% body fat) but not like he's a body builder.

Thanks!

Torso_01.png

MaleAnatomy5.png
  • ZippZopp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i did a quick liquify to it, hope you don't mind. i still think there isn't enough distance for the space between the belly button and bottom of the crotch area. the belly button is sitting too high and the obliques still too low. i adjusted the calf area a little bit and some of the shoulder area.

MaleAnatomy5Adjusted.gif
  • Waterbear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's really cool of you to make that for me! Extremely helpful! I'll be poking at it today :)

Thanks!
  • ZippZopp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    one other thing sticking out to me is the rib cage feels too wide as well, i tapered the shoulders in, but because the rib cage is wide, he is losing that feeling of being wider at the shoulders
  • j.pears
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    j.pears polycounter lvl 4
    yeh i agree, try pulling in the mid to lower section of the ribs slightly as the lats should be slightly exposed
  • Waterbear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was thinking something was up with the ribs too! I wasn't confident about the change though. Thanks guys!
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    There's still some opportunities for improvement on this model especially with the shoulder girdle, seems to me that like everything is compressed. The tendon for the pecs are over your deltoids for some reason (maybe its an ambiguous shape for me)and the the bicep is clipping thru the ribcage at an unsure angle. Maybe develop the curvature of the front head of the deltoid a bit so we see a break from the pec to the delts. I'm not too keem on the shape of the pecs either, something boxy and flat about it, like it doesnt have the inflated curve right before it touches the rib cage. Take at look at that area on the anatomy model and other models as well and look for a consistency in negative space and volume. Good luck!
  • Waterbear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, it's Fri. I have deadmau5 and a crap load of awesome crits. Feeling good about today! Lets see bow far I get :)
  • Waterbear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I spent most of the time, fussing with proportions and the side view; so it got a bit messy all over but I’ll clean them up.

Changes attempted

- smaller delts
    - natural pec shape
    - bicep moved over from chest
    - butt higher than junk
    - back of knee higher than front
    - side view tilt - looked at Loomis
    - side of neck
    - hands/feet smaller
    - smaller ribs

Questions
    1) Is the head too big?
    2) General leg flow, they look kind of stiff to me
    3) Teres major - I’m confused here. There are 2 muscles? Is it too big?
    4) Anything else I’m missing?
    5) are the knees too low?
    6) Push the ribs more?

*Damn, I need to fix those legs up!

MaleAnatomy6.png
  • Waterbear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished up my other work so back to this guy! Already fixing the weird pecs and calves, but figured I'd give it a bit of the bump in case someone else wanted to chime in.

Have a good day!
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    Look at your mesh from the bottom and top angles and look for "boxy" forms. One that sticks out is the pecs, I see a boxy form and "corners" where it meets the clavicle near the delts.
  • Waterbear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for the crit! Have anything else since I already knew about the pecs? I mentioned that on my post today. They're fixed now, new SS coming at EOD so please let me know if they check out.
  • Waterbear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doing some major over haul work, so it's being kind of 3 steps forwards, 2 steps back, but here's what I have so far.

There's still a lot of things that I can see need fixing but I haven't posted in a bit, so this is where I'm at.

MaleAnatomy7.png
  • Waterbear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still working on big edits!

- made the legs less extreme in the side view. I was matching the Loomis drawing but it seems so over the top to me.
    - played with proportions a bit
    - tried the make his back less boxy

What do people think of the legs and back now?

Tomorrow, I’ll be working on the abs, and any crits I get :)

MaleAnatomy8.jpg

I made these to help with proportions. (Not the photograph part, just the wider lines)
    DudeFrontRefLines1.jpg

DudeBackRefLines1.jpg
  • Waterbear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh sweet, a crit before EOD (cross posted; hoping for more feedback :) )

I think I got to everything mentioned except the back; it's still rough. Also, I'm trying to "soften" him up. Any tips on how to do that would be most appreciated. I want him to look a bit more average joe. Let me know what you think! Have a great weekend!

MaleAnatomy9.jpg
  • Waterbear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think he might be getting close but I having one of those days where everything you touch breaks. I’m just very frustrated with the whole thing right now. I’m sure I’ll be fine tomorrow but today is an off day.

Anyways, what do people like of the abs and back? I’ve bee struggling with the torso and would like other opinions. Thanks for any help in advance. :)

MaleAnatomy10.jpg
  • Waterbear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    what do you think about the lumbar curve? Too extreme? Okay?

Thanks!
  • Waterbear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lots of edits to everything today, even the face!

I still think the legs could be better, any suggestions? Thanks!

MaleAnatomy11.jpg
  • Waterbear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spent a lot of time trying to get some curves into the body. I think it's getting close. Can anyone see any problems?

Also, I'm really hoping to get a few good crits since I think this might be close to decent, so if you give me a crit, shoot me a link, and I'll give you a crit (if you want).

Thanks!

MaleAnatomy12.jpg
  • jhoythottle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jhoythottle polycounter lvl 7
    While I think the face itself has improved, the lower half of the face is jutting out too much, the profile is very ape-like. Also, maybe it's just me but the butt seems a little boxy now that you've added briefs. Great improvements over-all though. Nice work.
  • Waterbear
  • Waterbear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got a crit from my other post, so I'm posting here incase people are following this one

Here's the latest for him

MaleAnatomy13.jpg
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    the improvement here over the first post is staggering. really well done! i think you need to pay a little closer attention to the origin/insertion points around the elbow, and take another pass at the feet. i also think you've over-exaggerated some of the folds around the deltoid/bicep and tricep.

Looking forward to when you work on the face a bit more.
  • Waterbear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you! Like I said, I've been down for the count for a while so I was feeling very rusty. The help I've gotten here has been great for jogging my memory, getting great advise, and to give me some needed motivation. I'm just very grateful to be able to draw/sculpt for a full 8 hour day again. :)

I'll get right on those edits! Thanks again!
  • ZippZopp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    there is a lot of improvement here for sure.

a few things still stick out to me that need some work.

-the obliques feel a bit thick from the front to the back. it does depend on a persons build, but with what you've sculpted he feels very lean and defined, yet the obliques feel more indicative of someone who is a tad overweight.

-the overlapping of the lats on the rib cage feels too far back to me, i'd move that a little bit more forward towards the front

-from the back views the rear deltoids look a little bit small and the cut line feels a bit sharp where the triceps tuck under the rear deltoid

-the feet need some work overall, the toes feel somewhat floppy and straight and the big toe doesn't feel big enough or bulky enough. there is also some bone anatomy on the top of the foot you'll want to incorporate, i think the top of the foot is overall too smooth from the ankle to the toes
  • Waterbear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome, adding those to the checklist right now!

Btw, thank you so much guys for taking the time to give me actual muscle groups to check out. I got a crit on another forum that was just, "Your anatomy is inaccurate", which is so hard to move forward with. Now, I know what to work on.
  • Waterbear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can anyone offer some insight into the inner forearm. I'm having a hard time handling it. There are a bunch of tiny muscles in there but I don't know anyone who has ripped inner forearms. How to you go about sculpting this area?

weirdarm.png
  • Croftyness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Croftyness polycounter lvl 11
    This is developing really nicely. The brachio radialis coming from the thumb side of the wrist and wrapping towards the tricep may need a little work. I've done a paintover as I'd find it hard to describe.
    Forearms are hard to work on. Remember each muscle must start and end somewhere. It's almost worth plotting colours both at the wrist and base of the forearm to keep a sane mind. Further from this learning the names can really help. Splitting the arm into flexor and extensor can help as well, almost like a twisted cut in half baguette (sorry for the analogy)
    UQgwQOh.jpg