Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WoW Fansculpt - Cho'Gall

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Golden Yak polycounter lvl 6
The Blizzardfest challenge inspired me to tackle a project I've wanted to for a while now - grabbing a character or creature from World of Warcraft (which being 10+ years old and all has one or two models that are a leetle dated looking) and trying to make a zbrush sculpt and a later game-worthy model. I've been neglecting my 3D artist side for some years now, so this was also very much a learning experience, bringing myself up to date on sculpting techniques.

I decided to use Cho'Gall, a unique boss character from the 3rd WoW expansion. Here's what he looks like in the game right now.

This is the result of about four days of occasionally frustrating but largely rewarding work:

chogall_3D_sheet.png

chogall_turnaround.png

chogall_painted.png

chogall_faces_zb.png

chogall_closeup.png

Things I've learned to use on this piece after only ever hearing about them before:
*Zspheres
*The Insert Brush (this was after putting in all his teeth and spines and bits with subtools and masking and the move brush - aaaaaa~)
*Polypaint

Next - I want to do a lot more polypainting, shooting for a very WoW-ish stylized depiction. I'm really happy with what I've done so far (compared to my past efforts in painting in 3D), so I'm looking forwards to improving further.

I might do a bit more tweaking on the sculpt itself knowing what I now know, but I want to keep things moving along very sharpish, so I may bite the bullet and just keep things in mind for the next piece.

Then I'll be moving on to doing a low-poly sculpt and hammering out an effective low-poly texture baking pipeline.

Here I leave things, for now - if anyone has any feedback to give on the sculpt, advice on painting, or suggestions for a good low-poly bake method, please share it!

Replies