Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP - Z1000sx

invaderZim
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
invaderZim polycounter lvl 6
Decided its been a while since I made a vehicle, so fancied making a Kawasaki Z1000sx as I rather like the way it looks. mmmmmnnnnnnnnnnnmmmmmhng

Anyways just still blocking out the primitives, lining up objects and spludging details into its shapes.

14.JPG

Replies

• APiotrW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    APiotrW polycounter lvl 10
    The shapes are looking pretty solid to me. Would be better to see it non wireframe though.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks like a good start. Really nailed a lot of the shapes without throwing too many polies at it to start. Is that smoothed?

Anyways...your off to a great start :)
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    Apply a grey material, this is hurting my eyes. Blockout looks good so far.
  • invaderZim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers guys, the block out has been slow with me being horribly ill and being away for the past couple of weeks.

It has some smoothing on it, think the poly count is roughly 30k atm, though its a bit hard to tell with a bunch of the objects made from splines so the selection just reads "0"

Enjoy the colours!

5.JPG
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 18
    Nice!
    Do you own this bike?
  • invaderZim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea, heh I do, absolutely love it ;P but minor point!

Been away moving house, and also work has massively taken over my life atm, really loving what i've been up to there, so been just putting in extra time, but as a result sacrificed momentum on home projects! worth it!

Anyways latest shot, just finished up converting all the lines to actual polys, removing some unessisary polys, so i culled the thing from 100k to 42k, probably could keep going, but ya know... bit lazy and nobody will notice... i think...

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.JPG
  • GrungyStudios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GrungyStudios polycounter lvl 8
    Nice! Would definately benefit to have a render other then one out of 3ds max. Im curious as to where you plan on taking this, high poly and texture? Or your just doing a model and thats it? If your doing a high poly you are really going to have some subdivision problems in places where you have put a decent amount of triangles
  • invaderZim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gonna use ndo for a lot of the detailing, and dw, I also have a higher poly, less triangulated version for zbrush sculpts - not that I coudlnt just convert the shapes to dynamesh and then retopo that for quick sculpt work, it'll be finnneeee!

I think im going to experiment with unreal detail maps and substance designer really to generate textures for it. my next stage is to unwrap it, but xray-unwrap doesnt work with max 2015 Q_Q oh sweet god this is going to be brutal. Might go dig out an old install of max just for the unwrap...
  • invaderZim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    still alive! happy new year!

Been fiddling away with substance painter n stuff, and this is about as far as ive got with the bike for now, chucked some stuff into unreal to test out what it was looking like. Either my unreal scene lighting is off, or im plugging in the textures wrong, or there are just differences from substance painter to the unreal values. I've no idea, will look into it properly whilst i continue to texture and actually add in some details to this model.

6.JPG

Just for a reference of what substance shows me if anyone is curious, its not massively different, just slightly. Note, exhuast metal values for example. 5.JPG
  • invaderZim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just some more wip shots

10.JPG

9.JPG

slowlying on, really enjoying substance painter, so bloody good! I also know there's a seam on the seat, the seat literally isnt welded in the middle as I messed up the symmetry and didn't notice.. heh shhhhhhh :P
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 18
    Nice to see you continuing on this project.
    What's the end goal? A portfolio piece? Some game project? Animation?
  • invaderZim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers Kodde, its mostly just something different to my day to day work. Learn and understand PBR, substance and unreal better. Maybe at the end if i do a decent enough job ill bung it in the portfolio to replace some of the older stuff I have.

Also with the new and improved knowledge there might be something I can take back and use in the office sooner or later. Already thinking of ways to wingle substance into my daily workflow haah ^_^
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 18
    Would be cool at the end to add functionality for having the engine running, having the gas roll actually control the engine rev (sound, vibration). Maybe puffing smoke from the exhaust. Being able to turn on/off lights and turn signals. :) Maybe even setting up the suspension to work.

At least those kind of things appeal to me. To learn new functionality in Unreal and being able to give a bit of extra flair to the project.

Keep going! Fun to see a motorcycle project on polycount.
  • invaderZim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would love to get that in Kodde! especially the lighting.

For now heres just some progress of detailing ive added over the weekend. Also resolved some poor welding issues and so forth, fixed a few broken normals and continued added in decorations and effecting normal maps mostly.

11.JPG

12.JPG
  • invaderZim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    getting there with all the detailing now, still need to stamp on the decals. Need to sort the plastic transparency bits out too, theyre still using default glass so they just look wrong. Then its time to set up a scene and some lighting.

5.JPG

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG
  • Tim270
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tim270 polycounter lvl 6
    Not a huge fan of the stock cans but good stuff!
  • invaderZim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Tim, do you mean you're not a fan of the model, or the fact I've not modeled some Akrapovics on there? :P
  • Tim270
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tim270 polycounter lvl 6
    The second :p your model is looking great!
  • invaderZim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still gonna add some "dirt" to it, but I've finished up some lighting and scenery and sort out some light map issues. Some reason, ALL the vertex ordering in uv2 just changed, so it was completely fucked. No idea why, goolging and asking people brought up no solution.

anyways. Will dirty it up over the next week probs, maybe. That front disk in hind sight looks FAR too clean.

also in other notes, this scene was running a solid 80fps, then somehow, I've clicked something somewhere, and the frame rate dropped to a staggering 3.... kinda frustrating as I've literally NO idea what ive done to do that either. then people are just are saying online "change the graphic settings" or whatever... I'm wondering if unreal isn't using all my cores or sommit, as the clock is reading 1200mhz and it seems to only spike 1 core... any thoughts?

HighresScreenshot00004.png

HighresScreenshot00005.png

HighresScreenshot00007.png

HighresScreenshot00008.png