Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Alien Larva Harvester Blaster - WIP

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
GrungyStudios polycounter lvl 8
Heys guys. Been working on this for a school assignment. Loosely based off a concept i found on pintrest. Its a weapon that harvests alien larva energy and blasts it, incinerating anything in its path.

Right now its work in progress. Still have a week to complete it. Basically done all the modeling and baking, im just working on the textures now. Trying to get good material definition. I was going for a more grungy look. Because i like grungy looking stuff

Any feedback and critique would be awesome, trying to make this thing better so i can get a good mark. Thanks. Heres some pictures. (edit: for some reason when i share through photobucket it makes my images look like crap! anyone know how ti fix this?)

*So far things i am aware of and are on my fix list is waviness in the normal map.

screenshot026_zpsab122503.png

screenshot032_zpsd1cdbfea.png

screenshot031_zps65c05795.png

screenshot029_zpsc754b9be.png

screenshot021_zps5085a866.png

screenshot022_zpsc08c337f.png

screenshot023_zps86675a51.png

screenshot024_zps1d839c00.png

screenshot028_zps840ee8a3.png

screenshot034_zps29553921.png

screenshot035_zpsd940749b.png

screenshot036_zpsd01c9407.png

High poly wireframe. Lots of floating geo going on here.

Pole4_zps13d6cdc3.jpg

Replies

• fandiwhuang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fandiwhuang polycounter lvl 9
    dat detail ...love it !!! :thumbup:
  • Loutrattitude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Loutrattitude polycounter lvl 6
    I think the amount of details, the uniformity of saturation/contrast and the model shape really attack the eye. I don't know where to start to decode your model.

But really good technique !
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    You've got a bit of the Bay Transformers thing going on at the moment. You've got an extraordinary amount of detail going on there, but it's quite difficult to read. I think you're going to need to spend a while experimenting with your textures, working in a focal point and some more contrast so that people can really appreciate all that time and effort that you've put into the geo.
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Quite hard to read indeed. But i think its more about the render than the model.

Proper 3 point lighting and some proper AO would probably fix the problem.
  • GrungyStudios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GrungyStudios polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks for your feedback guys. I knew there was something off about this when looking at it in marmoset, in indeed hurts my eyes a little bit. I think i might try and change the colour/saturation of some things to help split them up, or i might even remove some Geo. Might also tone tone the scratches some places. Ill probally set up a proper 3 point lighting suggested as well. I really want this thing to read well. So thanks for the help and feedback.

Time to get back into photoshop.