Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My First PBR : Will need support :)

Replies

• almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    my biggest criticism is in your reflectivity map. each material should really just have a flat reflective value, by painting variance in reflectivity what you're saying is that there are different materials all over the place. this is probably the biggest "hang up" from the old specular workflow that you'll need to get yourself out of.

i also think your reflective range overall is quite high for all of the non-metals in the scene.
  • Cheeky_Pickle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheeky_Pickle polycounter lvl 9
    Great work Capone, I'm learning a lot from reading your progress :)
  • capone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    capone polycounter lvl 18
    Have flattened the spec map to more flat tones. Darkened albedo a bit. I tried adding hilites to the gloss but it looks weird, guessing it's just working against my spec or something. I keep making the whole thing look too glossy I think? want sharper specs (I tried lightening the gloss with undesired results). Yeah I can't can't this specular workflow out of my head :p

iTvYnpx.jpg
  • skodone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skodone polycounter lvl 2
    i think metal and stone look quite nice now!
    but the wood could be nearly the same value as the rock specularwise
    now it looks a bit like plastic
  • Poleh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking really lovely, I think if you pushed the spec of the rocks to make them look less clay-like, that would help, just sharpen some of the highlights on the edges of the stones.
    Keep it up!
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    looks great! but yeah, the wood should def have less spec, it kind of looks like plastic atm.
  • Dragonar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dragonar polycounter lvl 10
    hey capone nice improvment continue like that ;)
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    everything seems to be coming together quite nicely!

now for a question: what material is the frame around the door made from? is it metal? is it rusted or does it have a coat of paint over the top?

if it's a metal then the reflective value is a little low, if it's rusted or painted then it's a little high.
  • capone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good question, I still can't quite decide what I want the bar to look like exactly.
    I kinda like this material? maybe something with more colour though?

67c9c3e85c7d762e7bdab98753033812.jpg

Here is my latest. I've darkened the spec for the wood as suggested and am now adding hilights to the stone pieces via the gloss map. Someone mentioned that the edges should be hard and sharp as they looked like clay but I found hard/sharp edges were hardly noticeable and I seem to be getting better results with big large highlights. Even so, you can only really notice them when looking from above. I guess I need to be adding a 3rd point light about now?

Also, I want to try and bring the 'depth' of the step stones to the flat platform of stones as currently they look a bit flat? I'm hoping to be able to either just adjust the low poly mesh by adding cuts and extruding or taking geo from the steps and intersecting some into the flat surface?

EoQr5El.jpg
  • skodone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    for me everything reads really well now :)
  • capone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Added some depth to the 'floor' piece

0HVhBBZ.png
  • Boozebeard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boozebeard polycounter lvl 11
    Well looking at that photo of the metal you just posted it looks to me like a combination of very rough areas (low gloss) for a lot of it but very smooth glossy highlights on edges and parts that are exposed to contact. I think I would actually be thinking about it more like a painted metal with chips and worn away areas than all one material. Which I see you have been doing in the reflectivity map but maybe that needs to be reflected more in the gloss?
  • capone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Booze, have worked on it more. Think I'm close to doing a final render. Think I'm going to have to find a good tutorial tomorrow for rendering in toolbag, anyone know of any? Also thinking of doing a turntable video.

Anyone have any suggestions regarding the lighting? Is this good enough for final rendering?

Also a really daft question perhaps but can I officially call this a PBR asset??

khEbziv.jpg
  • capone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thought I'd try to add a floor. It's acting really odd though, my gloss and spec are almost black yet any added light floods the texture as shown in the right pic. It shouldn't be reflecting light at all should it?

EDIT : Also, I know I'm meant to put highlights in the gloss rather than the spec but I was getting better results by doing it in the spec. I seem to be doing it properly (flat spec) with the door and it's looking good but as I said, this material is acting very differently (it's just a duplicate of the door material with new textures)

e4a3sKW.jpg
  • capone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh yeah, judging by above you'd think there were no normals on that floor wouldn't you?

Yet...

1uGKvoU.jpg

Something isn't quite right.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, the in the shot on the right it looks like your light intensity is really high, as evident by the lighting on the door blowing out, so its not surprising that it would seem strong on the floor as well.

Also I'm not sure why you would want the spec and gloss to have such low values. Killing the spec will make your material feel much flatter, with only diffuse lighting, which would explain the normal map not looking like it is doing much.

Your diffuse is probably quite a bit too dark as well. Do you have some reference for this material?

41.jpg
  • capone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks EQ you were right about that light. Trying to just match it to your ref for now and getting better results. Added some more micro detail in the normals. Raised some stones in the geo. (maps - reflection / albedo / gloss)

nLEbMED.jpg
  • capone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not a final render but a video just to show it moving around light :)

http://youtu.be/Xl0vhCVwS78
  • capone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been wondering if to go back and redo the stones on the flat piece recently. Anyone think it's worth it? Paintover shows the proposal.

UzEVYhM.png
  • skodone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i like the original better somehow
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I guess that makes some sense but I like the original, its not perfect and that makes me feel like it could be real if you get what I mean.
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    I prefer the original, too.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    Now put something in front of the door like a wrapped baby or something and tell a story with it. Or maybe add a quick wall with some torches. Anything to make it stand out. This has come a long way but i think you could push if farther since you're halfway there