Home Technical Talk

maya 2014 turtle AO bake issue

polycounter lvl 16
Offline / Send Message
onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
what is the best settings to bake ambient occlusion with turtle in maya 2014.

I am using bake selected surface with no source surface. First I applied ilrOccSampler and then bake to texture with selected surface option. But the end result is full of black artifacts which make it unusable.
I tried many different settings and still couldnt get rid of the artifacts. Reason Im using turtle is because it comes with maya 2014 which is what I have at work.

I could use the standard mental ray baking, but it takes forever. Turtle is a lot faster, but it produces unpredictable results. So im hoping someone can shed some light on this.

I ve ran many test with different meshes and it seems to only happen to high poly meshes with lots of detail.

Replies

• AdvisableRobin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AdvisableRobin polycounter lvl 10
    I've been using turtle in 2015 at my job and I'll be honest if xNormal is available to use, just use that. I cannot shed any light on mental ray AO baking since unfortunately it crashes in 2015.

I wish I could provide you with more info but honestly I think we're in the same boat so I'm going to follow this thread pretty closely in hopes that someone has a better solution.