Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Scanning in my Girlfriend :)

Miguelito
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Miguelito polycounter lvl 18
Hello and welcome,
my girlfriend sacrificed herself and let me shoot a few pictures of her so that I could scan her in. I have been working on this for a few weeks and now I am ready to show some progress.
Here is what I have so far:
wip_10_09.jpg
This image is rendered in Maya with Vray lit by an HDRI. PeachFuzz, eyelashes and eyebrows are done with Yeti and I am basically using the shaders that I setup in my previous project (http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=131839).
The whole process is heavily borrowed from Lukas Hajka's incredible self portrait (probably the best that is out there). First I shot some pictures for fun to see if I could get any usefull result without any proper equipment, as I dont have proper cameras nor do I have access to a studio with proper lighting etc.. We also marked her face so that eventually the scanning programm would recognize those as reference points. I tried both Agisofts Photoscan and Autodesks 123d catch. I used 123d catch first as it gave the less noisy result. Top row of the next pic illustrates a part of the retopo process. Below you see texture shots setup for texture projection.
making_of_01.jpg
Last pic shows the overall process. From raw scan to cleaned scan, then the retopo, final hires, final hires with (outdated) texture and skin matcap applied. The last two steps are basically back and forth as I used the diffuse texture as an intensity mask for the fine details.
progress.jpg
As I am quite happy with the result so far I want to do the hair next. I want to try GMH2 as a hair modeling solution :).
I hope you like it :)
Cheers,
Daniel

Replies