Home Contests & Challenges Archives Arms & Armor, Chivalry: Medieval Workshop

[Chivalry] - Saber- Infidel's Bane

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
JO420 polycounter lvl 18
So Im going to make one weapon and I want to make something that has some sort of implied history to the object.The weapon I want to make is a looted scimitar that a solider has acquired while on crusade. So the look im going for is a Saber variant, with an Arabic feel. The weapon will have a simple but luxurious look and what will make it look different is that fact that the blade is forged in Damascus steel.

If you have not heard of Damascus steel, its a forging process invented in India but made the popular in the middle east during the times of the crusades. The process has been lost to time,but the results were a light sword,incredibly sturdy and flexible blade so sharp,that it could be sharpened to nano scale precision,making it sharp as hell and able to cut through armor. The main characteristic I want to show in my final weapon's blade is the characteristic wavy darkening in the blade,which Damascus steel is known to have. Gerorge RR Martin lifted this look for the Valaryian steel blades in the game of thrones universe.

snakeye.jpg

14990904700_3b3bc5a53a_o.jpg

This is the concept I will use as a basis for the model.

15154534026_2ea7ae926b_o.jpg

Replies

• Loren Broach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Loren Broach polycounter lvl 10
    Looks really neat! If you can pull off the damascus steel look, this is going to look strong.

Good luck!
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Thank you, I figured the Damascus Steel look would be tricky to pull off but if I can do it,it will look quite cool. Going to start on this tonight after work I can't wait.
  • Nolt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nolt polycounter lvl 13
    I think you'll pull off most of the steel effect in the specular map. Good luck!
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    9thKnight wrote: »
    I think you'll pull off most of the steel effect in the specular map. Good luck!

Thank you, as for Damascus steel look it will be represented in the spec but also the diffuse. The tricky part will be how I add it to the diffuse. Too small and it will look noisy and too large it wont really achieve that effect.

So here is the high poly, I had to alter the design a bit,specifically in the handle to fit within the general shape of the Saber,but it will be for the most part how I wanted it to look. Design wise,what I am aiming for is a weapon that will look different but as a group,work together with all the weapons in the game. So the shapes and and ornamentation will be based on real life proportions and design.

The blade will have the Damascus steel look and I might not add any ornamentation perhaps none at all if it affects the readability. The hilt and guard will be where I focus most of the real detail.

15169748516_769ef15184_z.jpg
  • zetheros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zetheros interpolator
    I like it so far... good luck with the damascene. The sword looks really painful to hold though, especially on swings, hahaha.
  • Dylan Brady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    cool blade!
    May I ask which class you'll be making this for?
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    cool blade!
    May I ask which class you'll be making this for?

Good question and I think you very deftly pointed out my thoughtlessness. It was supposed to be a replacement sword for the archer but that means it isn't a primary weapon,thus disqualifying it from the competition. Shape wise Is it impossible to make this into a large 2 handed scimitar?

Perhaps is can be a replacement for the messer, a massive 2 handed scimitar.

If not then, guess ill just finish it for fun :)
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    So reworked the high poly, in terms of proportion and size,so instead of the 1 handed weapon it was going to be,the new version will be a replacement of the Messer and thus be a massive 2 handed Damascus Steel Scimitar.

15014145747_f66d35a93d_c.jpg
  • Nolt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nolt polycounter lvl 13
    I actually like this design a lot better. Nice job!
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    So, things moving along,here is a render of the low poly scimitar that will be a model variant of the Messer, along with Ambient occlusion and Normals. A bit heavy at 4442 tris so I think I will also need to create LODs for this massive weapon.

15206631425_6a4aa626ed_o.jpg
  • Nolt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nolt polycounter lvl 13
    Probably the handle that is eating up most of your tris. Some shapes though, there's not a lot you can do to keep the tri count down. Looks good :)
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    So first time in UDK,with materials and spec in all their glory. Pretty happy with the result I must say. The Pivot and bones needs adjusting,but once that is sorted ill post some action shots.

15022641109_7cd25ef9b7_o.jpg
  • dzibarik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dzibarik polycounter lvl 10
    niiiiiiiiiiiice. love the steel, very recognizable Damascus steel.
  • Zelfit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zelfit polycounter lvl 8
    Maybe make gold a bit warmer? Now it has some greeny tint.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    @dzibarik Thank you,I was quite sure how to get the look,then inspiration hit and I used a plain wood texture I modified and used as a mask to get the look,with normals backing it,the effect came out quite satisfactory.

@Zelfit, Thanks for the feedback, my guess its my choice in spec color,ill make adjustments tomorrow.

Finally for today here are some action shots with a Mason knight wielding the sword.

15023887148_835146001b_o.jpg

I really wish I had more time,I'd even consider doing an armor set.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Updated the diffuse and spec,to make the metal surface warmer in tone.
  • Sophax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks sick, must buy for me if it wins. Maybe some ingravings to give it a final touch.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Sophax wrote: »
    Looks sick, must buy for me if it wins. Maybe some ingravings to give it a final touch.

Like on the blade perhaps? I considered it but I like the idea of keeping the blade free of decoration since it could clash with the wavy metal look of Damascus Steel,so most of the ornamentation ive kept to the hilt.

EDIT: Also made one adjustment on the hilt,I killed the gold coloring inside the etchings because I felt the pattern got lost within the gold and thus needed more contrast.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    15027759689_3cb9c2e2d8_o.jpg

For fun an Agatha Knight posed with the sword.
  • Magicspook
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I thought this would look rediculous, but actually...
  • zetheros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zetheros interpolator
    Now that's a sword! Daaaaammmmnnn!!
  • Nolt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nolt polycounter lvl 13
    Nice! Maybe just a little bit bigger for it to be easier to hold with two hands?
  • TerryMosier
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TerryMosier polycounter lvl 7
    It looks soo good in those action shots.
  • soulstice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    soulstice polycounter lvl 9
    i agree love those action shots!
  • Sophax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That damascus steel look is realy cool tbh, would wonder how armor would look with it. Damascus steel is realy interesting btw

"A research team in Germany published a report in 2006 revealing nanowires and carbon nanotubes in a blade forged from Damascus steel.[5] This finding was covered by National Geographic[6] and the New York Times.[7] Although certain types of modern steel outperform these swords, chemical reactions in the production process made the blades extraordinary for their time, as damascus steel was superplastic and very hard at the same time. "

from wikipedia

Yea ingravings might be a bit too much, the patterns on the steel itself is enough of a distinct look

I'm pretty sure you're going to get picked if your helmet is of the same quality and style it would be a crime not to.
  • Safemilk(Daniel)
    Wow, man. That's looking awesome, great job!
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    @MagicSpook The idea probably seemed a bit strange,but I based it on the premise that that weapon was looted off a dead Saracen while on crusades.

@Zetheros Thank you the weapon was supposed to be a 1 handed but when it was pointed out only primary weapons would be accepted,thus it became a replacement for the messer and I'm happier for it.

@9thknight Thank you, the size has been something I have tweaked and will tweak again so it works with all 2handed animations

@Terry & Soul Thank you, that's been the best part plugging it to the player models. Love making the action shots.

@Sophax Thank you, I think it's a cool bit of technology lost from the past,just like Roman concrete ,it was a fun touch to add to this weapon to give it some history. Sadly I wish I had the time to make a Damascus Steel armor set but I found out too late about the contest and two weapons is all I have time to make: would have been epic though.

@Safemilk Thank you.

I plan on finishing up the sword this week. Making all the promotional stuff and submitting it.
  • Zelfit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zelfit polycounter lvl 8
    I plan on finishing up the sword this week. Making all the promotional stuff and submitting it.
    Just don't forget the blood mask
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Zelfit wrote: »
    Just don't forget the blood mask

Already done :)
  • dudeface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Love this design! The steel looks really good.
  • Sophax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Make the armor in damascus steel already. I don't care mayne
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Playing around and testing the Blood map. I am pretty happy with the final result of this weapon and if time permits,I will make one more thing for the competition.

15246321552_956079dde7_o.jpg
  • Nolt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nolt polycounter lvl 13
    Yeeeeeaaaa, Looking goooood!
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    9thKnight wrote: »
    Yeeeeeaaaa, Looking goooood!

Thank you, I also scaled it a tad more as you suggested to it fits well,within a knights hand.

I also optimized the model so its running at 3714 tris,much slimmer then it once was.
  • Nolt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nolt polycounter lvl 13
    Nice job :). I had to extend my handle a bit too. Seemed kind of odd that I had to as it was the same size as the sample model....
  • zetheros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zetheros interpolator
    Sophax wrote: »
    That damascus steel look is realy cool tbh, would wonder how armor would look with it.

Haha xD Daaaamn, that would be a crazy amount of work. It takes about a week of full-time swordsmithing to make a pattern-welded sword from scratch. First you need to get several thin plates of metal (I believe 1050ish spring steel, and nickle, or maybe a nickle alloy, not sure), then forge weld them together, which means heating them up so they're hot enough to weld together when struck by a hammer.

Then hammer it out until it becomes narrower, fold it over or cut it in half, weld again, and repeat until you get the desired fineness of 'grain', which can be up to a dozen or more folds and forge welds (which are really difficult to do. Even the smallest impurities included into the steel will severely weaken your blade in the finish.) You can also do really amazing twists and different cuts in the metal, to make very intricate details once polished.

after you have all that carbon steel and nickle folded in together, and patterned the way you want, you then hammer it into a sword shape, grind, rough polish, polish some more, quench, temper, polish, polish some more, then dip the whole thing into an acid bath to corrode and darken either the nickle or the steel, forgot which, to show your hard work.

But it would be interesting to see what damascus (or pattern-welded) armour would look like.

I think there's a series of youtube videos that shows this process, if you're interested.
  • qassamzed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    qassamzed polycounter lvl 6
    Awesome Sword :D
    cant wait to see the helm..probably with same theme like mid east knight helm ?
    @MagicSpook The idea probably seemed a bit strange,but I based it on the premise that that weapon was looted off a dead Saracen while on crusades.

actually its not that strange, if you see the chivarly lore... mason faction did crusade and lose to saracen/tenossian faction then goes war with agatha after back to their homeland (in game agatha vs mason)

so yea they can get saracen armor after that crusade

and also default mason knight design already looks like saracen knight
    google : mamluk armor and ghulam armor
  • sgtscience
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sgtscience polycounter lvl 8
    Really great blade! Awesome execution. I really like the Damascus concept and the blue tint in the blade. It really makes it pop, even against red and blue of the player model. My only caveat would be how the part jutting out from the hilt with the jewel into the blade does not resolve design-wise with the groove in the blade or its curve. The reference you supplied clearly showed examples of this happening so, it's a completely unfounded crit, but my design sense just wants to see some resolution between those forms. That being said, I also love things like this, since they create more visual interest, and sometimes giving into your design sense can lead too more mundane designs... That may be kind of cryptic, but I think I like it, just cause it bothers me a bit lol! Good work.
  • Sophax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea when I linked it to some of my friends they had a some critisim on the handle. Personaly I don't like the gem stone part either. Doesn't seem to fit imo

Just a minor remark, the rest stil looks amazing.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    @Zetheros, I think you actually made a good case for not making Damascus Steel armor. It would be. The idea seems cool but the work would be so much that it would be the richest of Sultans who could afford it. It would also go against the fashion Saracens fought and armored themselves in, they often preferred mobility over armor. Lastly I wanted to make gear that could realistically fit within a historical/Medieval battlefield and Damasucs steel swords would definitely fit,armor not so much.

@qazzmzed Good to know then,it fits potentially in the lore.

@Sgt/Sophax after the finishing the weapon I think that's the part I might have handled differently. As Sgt mention it is seen in some of the reference examples but perhaps I could have come up with a more elegant solution. Perhaps I was a little to bound to the source material :)
  • zetheros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zetheros interpolator
    While damascus armour might be out of the question (I actually wanted to do the same IRL, before people with more knowledge convinced me not to), armourers of the past have made extraordinary works of art using gold leaf, acid etch, and repousse & chasing. If you're going for intricacy, it's one of the routes you can take.
  • alexd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This weapon looks solid, definitely buying it :D
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    alexd wrote: »
    This weapon looks solid, definitely buying it :D

Thank you Aled I really hope it wins and you can :)

@Zetheros,i decided im also going to make a matching helmet as well. A Mamluk style Saracen helmet, gonna start with concepts at lunch today.
  • sgtscience
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sgtscience polycounter lvl 8
    Cool that we we thought the same thing, but as it matches the ref, it's legit, and like, people back then didn't have the same design sense as we do now, so as I mentioned, even though it bothers me, I feel the authenticity is a strength. It is a choice I might have gone the other way on, and weakened the piece subsequently. I really hope this wins! It looks Bella sick!
  • GRAT0R
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very beatiful blade JO420, I'm wishing you the best of luck.
    Did you end up doing the helmet?
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    GRAT0R wrote: »
    Very beatiful blade JO420, I'm wishing you the best of luck.
    Did you end up doing the helmet?

Thank you,sadly not. I had concepts drawn up and was ready to make it,but then someone pointed out that the MAA had a helmet exactly like the Mamluk style helmet I was going to make,so i did not end up doing it. Thinking of it from a business point it could ultimately hurt my chances,since it isnt part of a set and I have a feeling they will only pick sets for this competition.