Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Unity] Rail Time Travel

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Qdwach polycounter lvl 7
Hey guys!
Long time no see! After being declined for a job due to my inexperience with Unity I decided it is high time to learn that nifty little engine.

The idea I am going with is quite out of my comfort zone as thus far I've mostly made old and medieval looking environments so here we have something a bit high techy and modern. I am not going to lie I stole the idea from my art test as the subject I was given was pretty cool.
Basically it's a time portal lab where a rail trolley is accelerated through a tube tunnel until it reaches the velocity needed for time travel. Obviously I changed the theme a bit and took out anything art test related to unnecessary unpleasantries.

Here are a few quick screenshot of what I have in engine thus far:
pQKopf9.png
bRKnX8s.jpg
yfTaZCG.jpg
And the floor texture in the toolbag:
Uo2DpE7.jpg

Any advice, crit or unity tutorials would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The rails are quite close together, and the bend in the middle is a bit odd.

Most electric trains have the third (powered) rail on the side; for those with the rail in the center, the rail is almost always at the height of the other two.
    article-2178141-1430F1C9000005DC-207_964x633.jpg
    You might want to take a look at some of the other details for ideas - the tunnel ribs and crossbeams, and the wires running along the side.
  • Qdwach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Qdwach polycounter lvl 7
    That is a really cool photo and exactly what I am after, thanks! I've started working on the high poly ribs now. Also fixed the rails so the middle one is the same height.

Thanks!
  • Qdwach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Qdwach polycounter lvl 7
    Quick update from today! Had a busy week at work so could not really do much for this.
    But I've made and textured the tunnel ribs which are really super cool and added the side wires. I also put the rails further apart as suggested by DWalker.

rERaUyO.jpg
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You might want to add some lights to the tunnel itself - red emergency lights, orange maintenance lights, sequenced lights as seen in aircraft runways.
  • Qdwach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Qdwach polycounter lvl 7
    Quick update time! I added some white lights. The kind I've seen in most ref and have some memory of from the London underground.
    HtJvObX.jpg
  • Qdwach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Qdwach polycounter lvl 7
    Another quick update! YAY! Here's a marmoset screenshot of the platform texture wip.
    Also I've decided I'm going to remake the rails since I made some silly decisions there before researching properly.
    dTT7LsQ.jpg