Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

CE3 - Desert Refinery

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Logan5 polycounter lvl 9
Hi Guys

Ive been working on this scene in my spare time for the past couple of months and Im at a stage where I feel Ive pushed it as far as I can so I thought it would be a good idea to post it here and get some feedback!

For the theme I wanted to create a desert landscape with some sort of mining facility. This had to include huge towers / refinery structures built into craters to mine / collect / refine some sort of mineral deposit. I really wanted to focus more on the big picture here and not get to carried away with the fine details (although in the end I think I probably did go overboard in many places :) ).

From a learning standpoint I wanted to tackle a big exterior, that would include some sort of landscape vista, I also wanted to go full PBR (with the new 3.6 version of CryEngine) and exclusively (more or less) use Quixels new suite to handle the materials.

Anyway here are a few shots of what I came up with, let me know what you think, I put a lot of effort into this and while Im kinda done with it for now, thats not to say I wont go back at some point to make some improvements. Thanks for taking the time to look at my thread! Enjoy!!

wUtWTq9.jpg
awlLfd5.jpg
0CYVSJF.jpg
gOe1T64.jpg
9z1Z1iP.jpg

Replies

• daemoria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Man, this is an impressive project. Were you working from concept work, or making it up as you went? I'd be very interested in seeing some of the much earlier development shots too, if you had kept them saved somewhere.
  • Logan5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Logan5 polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks Daemoria! To answer your question I didnt use any concept art for this project as one of my main aims was to develop the look and design of everything myself without relying on other artists works, of course thats not to say I didnt use concept art and photo refs to inspire my designs. Most of my "concepting" consists of a few scribbles on a peice a scrap paper so unfortunately I cant show those but I do have some shots taken in the engine at various stages which should at least give some idea of how the scene progressed.

movZ8YF.jpg?1
    kKSTFu6.jpg?1
    GZ5CeC1.jpg?1
    jCHyMu4.jpg?1
    EwjB6Q4.jpg?1
    PMy7Twy.jpg?1
    NWXLlCC.jpg?1
    93PgZcS.jpg?1
  • SaboR1996
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaboR1996 polycounter lvl 8
    Are most of the assets here modular with vertex paint or do they use different textures? This is looking sweet as hell.
  • GrungyStudios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GrungyStudios polycounter lvl 8
    So good bro. Nice and detailed. Reminds me of that map in Black Ops 1 forgot what its called ;)
  • Brygelsmack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    Looking nice so far. Maybe a little too much red in the main structure right now? Something you can do is making the texture a bland grey and tint them in CE. Allows you to use fewer textures and still get a lot of color variation (as much as you want anyway), just at the cost of a few more materials.

Imma suggest this for CryDev news. Good job man. :)
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd expect a bit of sand-blasting & sun fading on the textures.

Adding a bit of yellow to the fog might help give a scorched feel to the background.
  • shubham kumar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shubham kumar polycounter lvl 9
    So is this a correct way to work with CE3 ,first create block in engine and then work in max
    ,Thanks for a really good inspiration
  • Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    Looking sahweet so far! Makes me want to try out cryengine 3's rendering, though I feel like I'm more likely to find a job that uses Unreal. /end off-topic

Keep it up!
  • JamesTKirk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesTKirk polycounter lvl 8
    Very impressive!
  • TAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TAN polycounter lvl 12
    Sweet job mate !
  • zeezee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zeezee polycounter lvl 8
    Wow, this looks pretty awesome so far.
  • _Kratos_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Kratos_ polycounter lvl 11
    Awesome work man! Love all the details you have put into this man! Really great work...
    I do agree with some of the comments talking about the sandblast and sun... maybe some more rust here and there!
    Congratz for the work Stephens ;) Keep the awesomeness up!
  • Logan5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Logan5 polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks for all the comments guys, I really appreciate people taking the time to look at this.

@SaboR1996 - Thanks man, most of the panels are modular with decals etc to break them up and make them appear a bit more unique.

@Brygelsmack - Thanks, you may be right about the red but that was kinda the idea I had stuck in my head from the start, I wanted a really functional industrial feel for this and it just made sense to have all the panels the same color. Maybe I'll try out some alternate color schemes eventually :) As for tinting, yes normally that would be the way to go but in this case it wouldnt have saved me much as all the panels use the same texture anyway and I didnt want the textures rust and grime spots to get tinted too. Also I really wasnt focusing at all on optimisation here as its not a full game level, just a facade built for a specifc camera angle. My main goal here was more composition and lighting rather than making something "game ready".

@DWalker - Good call man, thats definitely something I'll add if I decide to work on this some more.

@shubham kumar - Im not sure about correct way but its one way! :) I just find it helps me to start blocking stuff out in the editor and get the general level spaces (or in this case composition) right before I move on. I still do a proper blockout of the structures in MAX/Maya before moving onto the production phase, but this is just a good way to get a very early visualisation of what your going for.

@Deathstick - Thanks man, I work at Crytek and had zero experience with their engine when I joined :) I picked it up quickly enough though but I think I should branch out and try either UE4 or maybe even Unity

@_Kratos_ - Thanks man! Yeah more rust would be cool, maybe I could just throw on some decals for this, but I need to start something new been looking at this for what seems like forever!
  • e-freak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks awesome rob! love how you laid out the space with whiteboxes first and great job on material definitions :)
  • felipealves
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    felipealves polycounter lvl 10
    Nice work man!

Keep it up.
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    Looking really good Logan5, great work!

I personally find the colourscheme fitting. Very industrial id say. I can imagine it being constructed modularily off-world or something and then hauled in and put together,
  • Cactus on Fire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cactus on Fire polycounter lvl 10
    The level of detail is amazing ! I think the red goes perfectly with the leaks and discoloration around the cavities. Really gives that industrial feeling.

Is there some kind of displacement or parallax in the textures ? Some of them looks like they have a subtle self-shadowing going on. Or are they all actual geometry ?

Anyway. It looks ass kicking so far. Can't wait to see more of this.
  • Logan5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Logan5 polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks guys!!

@JohnnyRaptor - Thats exactly what I had in mind :) I imagined that these towers would be thrown up pretty quickly with not much thought going into how they look. Like you say all standard parts that get shipped out and built pretty quickly on-site.

@Cactus on Fire - Thanks man glad you like it! I actually didnt use that much parallax mapping TBH, most of the main panels on the building are modelled. I did use POM for the floor panels though, in fact the mid and center floor panels are pretty much just a flat planes :)