Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

[2d/3d] Starfall

I decided to make a short story based around some RP being held on Deviantart. This a exercise in both rendering finished images, and practicing character art, which I am quite weak with. I hope you enjoy, here is what I have so far.

IUPTqMt.png
Starfall -1-

[].Wideband EM signature detected[] [].Derived data .Non-entity .Gravity-field strength holding[] [].New contact reports, four hundred thousand[]

:!Wa͈͍̩͉͕̼i̙̖͈̪̦ț̣̪͕͔ ?!What͔͇͕'̩̻̲s̤̖̫̱̝ ̯͈g̦̲͕oing o͙̪͚̤͓̝n͚͚̮̥͙̭ͅ:

OXWm1vg.png
Starfall -2-
:!Our cre̩̭̻̲ͅw͖͔ ͕̝is still on the surface !If th̹a͇̤̫̙̻t hits the city, there is̲̮̮̣ n̝̳o chance they wi͎͎l̪̝͓͍l survive:

[].Confirmed[]

: ?What can̖̯̮̫̩ we do ...we ca͚n̞̫̜'t just let th͓e̦̭m die:

[].Advise action[] [].Unlock my controls on weapon systems[]

:!Fine̘, do it .Just save̦̪̹̘̫̫ t̗̘̞hem .Ple̟͇a̘̰̯͍͈s͉e:

[].Unlocking[] [].Targets acquired[]

ZKTuMId.png
Starfall -3-
[].Assesment .Incoming masses targeted and locked .Targets in excess of four hundred thousand count[]

:!Fire̼̤̖̜̻ͅ !Remove them all from̭̺͇̦͚ this reality:

[].Engaging[] [].Warning[] [].Current rate of fire exceeds missile regrowth rate[]

:!I don't ca͖̭re !We can't let them hi̠͙̟̱̙ͅt̮͔̼̜ the surf̰͕̺͚̱̤͍a̮ce:

sGEgWH4.png
Starfall -4-
[].Target deviation within tolerance[] [].Interceptor warheads impact in 5 tanar[]

:!K̘̥̟͚e̯̞͚̩̟ep firi̭̤̬n͓͉̝̦̲̫͈g̳̬͖:

Replies

• daemoria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    n6wfnzB.png

Starfall -5-
    [].Detonation[]
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Absolutely loving this. Inspirational work - can't wait to see more !
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Nice to see ya posting on Polycount, Daemoria! The project is looking fantastic so far. Very Homeworld-esque, which is a good thing. :)
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    Would love to see a breakdown/progress shots for any one of these images, could be very enlightening. :thumbup:
  • daemoria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two listen, no problem. I work with a mix of 3d generated from cinema4d, and photoshop for final image.

Individual frames start as a rough sketch.

savior_frm4_00.png

After I have determined what details I want to emphasize, I get to work on a 3d mesh.

stationKasparov (View in 3D)
    LLFM9

This can be used to help lock down perspective, and even establish some rough guides for lighting. The lighting is something I fake a lot tho, some parts cast shadows where they just don't look good, so I omit them. :D

doom_04.png

The final lines can take a while, but its a lot of fun to add tonnes of greebles.

doom_05.png

Finished base shading and coloring. I use a mix of game dev techniques here. I use a diffuse layer of flat color with a layer specifically painted with lighting information. That way i can fix the lighting separately without messing up the actual color information. The color information on this frame in particular is pretty simple, its more of an issue on the Mimic (spaceship) frames.

sGEgWH4.png

The last bit is the final fx layers. glows, bloom, and atmospherics, to tone down the lines and ensure everything is seamlessly integrated into the image.

---

Sneak peek of what's coming next.

stationKasporov impact (View in 3D)
    rJ9nD
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    it is beautiful
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    Awesome, thanks daemoria! I had assumed some 3D based on the thread title and the awesome perspective on those ships, but it's interesting to see how much additional detail you wind up going into with the linework. You have a great eye for that stuff.

Thank you for sharing. :)
  • daemoria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In the spirit of sharing, I've finished all the roughs for the remaining frames. I can see the finish now!

5MugRIr.png
    BSuGwsM.png
    5ilGRWt.gif
    2oF2QKd.png
  • lolman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lolman polycounter lvl 4
    Very nice work!! :D
  • daemoria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VYvoOkO.png

Starfall -4-

[].Warning, insufficient mass transition[] [].Target will still have catastrophic impact effects on surface[]

: ?!Well, kee̝̹̳̲p̖ ̼̥̯̼̬̲͈f̤̗̱̩̤̪iring:

[].Can not comply[] [].Thermal shut down detected on primary point-defense power circuit[] [].Missile hive regrowth in 300 tanar[]

:...:

[].Navigator Tive, we are out of options[]

:.No .We̖͍̮̺̯ͅ still hav͔̱e the sh̭̱̼̺̹̭i̗̫p:

bu61QsC.png

Starfall -7-

[].Aproaching target[] []?Are you sure you want to do this Navigator Tive[]

:.Brea̱͙c͕̠͍̟͕͕ͅh the Mirr̫̜̣̲o͚r̤̝͔͚ coils:

[].Tive[] [].Please[]
  • negiman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really beautiful works!
  • daemoria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ecvJYMv.gif

Starfall -8-

:.I ca͇͇̰̻͖̜̺n̦̰̗̮̙ͅͅ ̳̱͍͕̥̞̜s̬̜̳ee it now. Thei̤̥̻̖̬ṟ͔̗ ͔p̖̝̦̘otential futures, dancing and gli̗̬̝̰t̻͚̫̘̣͇̳tering .Perfect on the cold, infini̮̥̤̤̯ṯ̱̞e Mirror:

0XFWBd1.png

Starfall -End-

: ?I as̳͙̺̭k only...how͙̯ ̤͓̠w̬͉̗͖̟̤̻i͍̞͚l̰l they rememb͇̬̯̼er...us:

---
    Well, that was fun, I think I learned some stuff during it, so I can consider it a success.
  • Jeremy Mitchell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Mitchell polycounter lvl 6
    Jesus, this stuff is so good. Such a great example of how design and composition beat meticulous rendering, always. Very inspiring.
  • Khaja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fucking fantastic stuff! love the way your using the 3d as a base. :)
  • daemoria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Working on a small sequel of sorts now.

9EOZGSB.png