Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Monthly CHARACTER Challenge | September 2014 | Zilean / Chakram Assassin

Replies

• lukazguzman
    Offline / Send Message
    lukazguzman polycounter lvl 5
    @PyrZern , I think he needs some more strong lines on the face... I agree with skodone, maybe a wider chin, but mostly point out what happens to older men's faces, the jaw keeps growing, the skin loses its elasticity, giving more dangling-looking skin, look at gandalf for example, even his nose is larger (just as the concept art) and not so slick.
    gandalf.jpg

@devingeesr , I really really like your model, his clothes are giving a good impression of fullness, as if the robes were thick and heavy, worn by a powerful guy. And nice details going on around.

And, personal newbie question... what's the google hangout link for?? Is there a weekly meet-up or something like that scheduled somewhere?? First time hanging around here, so thanks for the info :)
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Ahh, usually ppl jump on the hangout whenever they start working on the challenge :P The number of participants is kinda low, so ppl usually join the main polycount hangout instead though <_<"
  • devingeesr
    Offline / Send Message
    devingeesr polycounter lvl 13
    @PyrZem I'll be popping in more I just haven't had the time.
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    ANd here's my update. Usually I'd have called this done a long time ago, lol !!!

gXmLkuM.jpg
  • tierzilla
    Offline / Send Message
    tierzilla polycounter lvl 9
    PyrZern wrote: »
    ANd here's my update. Usually I'd have called this done a long time ago, lol !!!

gXmLkuM.jpg

Great improve pyr!

Edit: i recomend you to dinamesh the hair so you can smooth the hair back un the neck , its a little jagged
  • skodone
    Offline / Send Message
    skodone polycounter lvl 2
    nice now thats a major change!
    i would still reduce the width of the forehead a bit more
    but other than that i really like it now!
  • Abidus
    Offline / Send Message
    Abidus polycounter lvl 10
    Looks much better Pyrzern! One thing I feel is a little odd is the way the lips are sort of pouting out from under the beard/mustache. A beard that full should probably hide the entire upper lip, if not both lips. Keep going!
  • lukazguzman
    Offline / Send Message
    My update!

[IMG]http:///www.lukazguzman.com/polycount/ch_sept2014_6.jpg[/IMG]
    [IMG]http:///www.lukazguzman.com/polycount/ch_sept2014_7.jpg[/IMG]
    [IMG]http:///www.lukazguzman.com/polycount/ch_sept2014_8.jpg[/IMG]

I think she is ready for retopo! I think I can make the hair and the coatwith fur straight in the low poly once this model is ready...
    What is, in your opinion, the best way for me to go on now if I want to make a game character in High-res? Polypaint and then retopo and bake, or retopo now and then create texture in Photoshop?
    I would like to give a try to Ddo, so I'm more into just making the retopo, and then play with that software for a while...

Thank you!
    Lkz
  • Busterizer
    Offline / Send Message
    Busterizer polycounter lvl 5
    @lukazguzman
    I must say nice work so far.

Here's my update
    screenshot3.jpg

I did spend some time to make new more or less proper topology (gave up half way on making absolutely all of the topology with quads). I am happy how this turned out so far, since I did much of this in like one week, since my other projects take time too.

I will move on to making all of the armor and clothes, since there isn't much to it now when I have body in place.
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    @lukazguzman Nice job there man ! Scale armor looks awesome :) If you want to use dDO for the texture, then simply polypaint each material with different color. Then bake out vertex color as color ID for dDO.

@Busterizer Dress her up :) If you want that as final lowpoly mesh, there really isn't a real need for all quads only topology. Anyway, I have a feeling her armpits are a little too high.
  • Fefs
    Offline / Send Message
    Fefs polycounter lvl 3
    @lukazguzman Wow it's awesome!

@Busterizer I'm using quads and some tris in my mesh, but I try to make the tris only in parts that will not deform too much - it's the way that I learned to model, but I think it's a worry only for models that are going to be animate for films....games always have models with tris

.....I feel that I'm almost there, but I need more time this week to concentrate here >_<

So for now that is my progress:

28utpir.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    @Fefs Anything you can do to make the top pops more than the bottom part ? It feels his the loin cloth or w/e it is is drawing in a lot of attention.

Made some adjustments. Optimized some polys. Made his pants a tad longer. He's about 7.2 head tall atm, which might be why his head seems quite big. Starting to run out of ideas of what improvement to do now #_#
    7H2kX8M.jpg

Oh, PS. Concept Voting for next month goes up tomorrow. I will continue on this piece till it's done, so, feel free to do the same. But the next challenge starts next month, for anyone interested or not on this month.
  • skodone
    Offline / Send Message
    i think the shoes could get some more love :) and the hands look so tiny on this mighty character i would exaggregate them a bit more (not making them much larger but stronger)
    apart from that i would love to see another front shot of the face :) i think hes still missing some beard on the sides?

so apart from that i love the power hes already surrounded with :D
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    I am not sure if I want to bury his face in anymore beard or hair, though O o'

But yeah, his hands !! Almost forgot about em, ha ! Gonna work on em tomorrow. Awesome.
  • Fefs
    Offline / Send Message
    Fefs polycounter lvl 3
    I want to try do some hair with alpha textures, this and the rest of the details probably will make the top pop more I think....but I will put more color on the wings tex too it`s dark and boring that part...

Yours are great, just feel that the wings pendant are a little disproportionate Pryzern
  • skodone
    Offline / Send Message
    have you tried viewport 2.0 for working with the model in maya @Fefs?
    i think that the textures look far better in 2.0 than in high quality.
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm, I will see about the wings pendant thing... I made it the way it is so it would be easier to turn into lowpoly...

May I say... MMO Addicted ? The leveling progress from a noob to a powerful wizard ?
    hBRKmPE.jpg
  • Orange
    Offline / Send Message
    Orange polycounter lvl 4
    ugh photoshop seems to have broken after all the crazy exceptions from out of disk errors. I think I'm done with ddo until I can upgrade my ssd to something larger. I'm going to finish the texturing in krita from here to the end. Wish I made more progress with ddo because it is a nice to have all that automation taken care of for you, but the disk space requirement is just way too massive per texture project.

2014-09-23_1949.png

@pyrZern Loving the progress you've made. The extra polish and attention to detail is really making the sculpt pop.
  • kay-vonlanthen
    Offline / Send Message
    kay-vonlanthen polycounter lvl 7
    hi guys! i need your help. if you have played Halo 4 or The Last Of Us, please do my questionnaire. i really appreciate it. i only need about 20-25 people. we can do this ;) let us finish this bad boy together ;) hooaa THANK YOU SO MUCH and check out the vid for the links. and you can share it too if youd like ;)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pp4qu05QPzM
  • lukazguzman
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is my retopologized model, with uv's just done, and some quick normals. These are renders in marmoset.
    So much left to do! Hair, coat, weapon, texturing! uff! I guess I'll keep going with this one after this challenge is done.

ch_sept2014_9.jpg
    ch_sept2014_10.jpg
  • skodone
    Offline / Send Message
    is that a seam on the forehead?
  • lukazguzman
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeap! That's on the to do list to fix!
  • Fefs
    Offline / Send Message
    Fefs polycounter lvl 3
    @skodone Never used before *try just now* and it's true O.o Thanks.

@Orange and @lukazguzman amazing the renders (and the models) DDO is quixel right? it works like marmoset or the two are totally different? I was thinking in try one of those...but in the "render area" I just learn in maya, and the very very very basic in Unity....

@kay-vonlanthen I know what are you passing to finish, I will help ^^ *I picked my diploma yesterday*

Today I'm doing my test with alpha hair...later I'll show you
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    @Fefs Marmoset is just for rendering. Quixel Suite(dDO) is the texturing tools with real-time rendering preview.

And here's my retop thus far. As you can see, there are still many more pieces to go, but it's already at 10k tris <_<"
    VdwdUxV.jpg
  • Orange
    Offline / Send Message
    Orange polycounter lvl 4
    @pyrZern Looks like you've got all the large forms out of the way and the topology is looking nice for the most part. The one thing you're not going to need is the topology over your cloth forms. It's not going to make a visual difference due to how subtle the silhouette changes are, and it's going to make it a pain in the ass to rig/animate.
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    You mean not doing the cloth wrinkles topology ? But would that bake out alright ? (even with cage)
  • Orange
    Offline / Send Message
    Orange polycounter lvl 4
    PyrZern wrote: »
    You mean not doing the cloth wrinkles topology ? But would that bake out alright ? (even with cage)

Yeah that's what I meant. Sorry if that was unclear. It'll look fine, any difference would be incredibly subtle and not worth the amount of extra work it is for you, or whoever might be rigging or animating the model. I highly suggest you try out both since you've already taken the time to retopo the wrinkles, just to see the difference for yourself :).
  • Fefs
    Offline / Send Message
    Fefs polycounter lvl 3
    @PyrZern hmm....so the marmoset don't render in real time?

Your retopo is really good...I'm was thinking in the same way that Orange, rigging going to be a pain, say what way you think was better if you test

Finish for today, but I just realize that I forgot the eyebrows (ahh X-x")...used viewport 2.0 this time too....and if anyone knows how to adjust better the alpha, please give me some tips - I don't know if it will render right or it will show holes, when I was making it was easy to see-through the texture when it was rotated

o9fypg.jpg

Ps: And finally he have eyes!
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    Marmoset does render real-time and is great at it, it just isn't a tool to make textures, Quixel is. The two are not exactly the same kind of tools. Marmoset is like Keyshot, rendering stuff. Quixel is like Photoshop, making texture. Kind of.

For his hair planes, something like this gives best results from what I have seen. Make it looks like a few strands intertwined together.
    473_tid_045_hair5.jpg
  • devingeesr
    Offline / Send Message
    no one is in the hang out :(
  • skodone
    Offline / Send Message
    @pyrzern what tool did you use for retopo you seemed fast and it really looks good!

@fefs the whites you see on the alpha planes are from either
    - turned on final gathering and ao in viewport 2.0 or if you have a specmap its not
    black at the uvs of the hair... i had the same problem with my last characters and alphas
    in maya and as i dont have marmorset or keyshot my renders in mental ray looked really ugly
    because mentalray has some issues and complications dealing with transpareny...
  • lukazguzman
    Offline / Send Message
    @devingeesr I would like to be on one of those hangouts! Today I can't be working on this, but let me know next time and I'll be in :)

@skodone I think he uses topoGun, or am I wrong? I just used it for the first time, and it's pretty guy actually, fast and easy to learn. Doing the same in 3Dsmax (the one I usally work with, took me much much longer to retopo).
  • skodone
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks lukaz also heard good things about 3dcoat... but cant afford all that stuff :(:(
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    @devingeesr I been in the Polycount Main Hangout for the last 3-4hrs or so. It's usually more populated, yeah <_<'
    Link - https://plus.google.com/hangouts/_/event/cptqbcoc3qclpk61nnp4p8tfe5g?authuser=0&hl=en

@skodone I use Topogun2 for retopology. To me, it's pretty fast and flexible. It also features a preview of how it would bake out. Kind of.
  • Fefs
    Offline / Send Message
    Fefs polycounter lvl 3
    I tested some configurations of viewport and I think the alpha is looking better now....but still too transparent....

It's not perfect (probably not ideal too), but now I'm happy with the effect, so lets move on and finish

2enz4ow.jpg

Someone ever tried to retopo in maya? I tried in zbrush before and don't liked...next challenge I will try do retopology and wanted to know some tips ^^
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    I heard QuadDraw in Maya is pretty good for retop. Haven't used it, though. I been using Topogun for it.
    Ps. Retop in ZBrush is HORRIBLE.
  • Fefs
    Offline / Send Message
    Fefs polycounter lvl 3
    Ohh....it's not me! Good!

I will check that, time for some youtube teachers
  • Orange
    Offline / Send Message
    Orange polycounter lvl 4
    you may also want to check out 3d coat. I liked it more than topogun the last time I did an eval. That was a couple years ago though, so I don't know if it's still the same story.
  • Busterizer
    Offline / Send Message
    Busterizer polycounter lvl 5
    Apparently I am way more productive if there is pressure and stress imposed on me :)

Here is my progress so far, next up uv's and texturing and the weapon too. The model is just 16k polys, I will reduce it to around 15k or 14k since there are few polygons that are not visible, like inside of the belt that I forgot to delete.

I could probably finish this on time, just watch me :D

charkram_assassin_render_wip.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good there man :) Can't wait to see you nail this.

Almost done with my retop as well. Sitting at 20k Tris right now.
    lokGHJP.jpg
  • Fefs
    Offline / Send Message
    Fefs polycounter lvl 3
    QuadDraw looks very practical to work, I will look at topogun and 3D coat too - and I will get one to work next month, I realized that my mesh don't look so good in the way that I model the low poly, the normal map have parts that are always strange...so lets try the retopo to correct that

@Busterizer I was doing the same right now in my model, it was with 22k and I have reduce to 20k, the white fabric makes my budget go away and I don't finished yet ><...

It's looking good in general, just the boots for me is too thin

I finished one more part, now only left the ropes and the jamb and some decals...

wij2o.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    Obviously I'm too lazy to feminize the body too <_<"
    Anyway, I'm almost done with hiRes/loRes now. Just a bit more ornaments to finish.

iaG1QPg.jpg
  • Fefs
    Offline / Send Message
    Fefs polycounter lvl 3
    Last days! What do you are thinking about your progress in this challenge? What was the difficulties and the things that you are thinking different now from the start of the project?

I still don't finished *just 2 itens to do now!*, but I'm surprised that I was capable to do this model because it was my first time doing a character so complex, my difficulties was with the textures, but I researched and finally understand what was doing wrong, but still have to learn best ways to render that (I'm starting learning udk and probably will get a marmoset soon too), another thing was that I tried to do a character with 18k max, but my budget increase to finish in the quality I wanted...I don't know too if it's all right with this model or it can be more optimized and maintain the details, I'm not sure how far away can the polygon be from another and make the normal map still looks good...

Another thing was the color map that half I painted by hand. That one I understand what was wrong by testing all the parts I was doing and comparing what was different, and now I know that I can do it right.

Next step when it is ready: I will try to rig it (but it is another thing that always I have problems so I will work on that till it work ),animate something and test it in engine...

Now my progress today

etgkro.jpg

I used the default render first because the texture was strange in viewport, but maybe it was a delay in maya? Because now it looks fine there too O-o" (I had closed and opened again), my second color map has alpha, and I was trying to utilize the space there for another things(my braids), but the texture don't render well and was transparent in the space that it don't was to be...
  • lukazguzman
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey! So I couldn't make it on time! Too bad... But I'm gonna finish it for sure. Is it ok to just start a new thread with what I have so far? And this way maybe get some more opinions on the final model..

@fefs Yo, man, good idea to make a recap of what we learned. I like your model.. Perhaps I would have tried and render it in marmoset to make the final showcase, because it can have some more resolution/detail and looks prettier at the end of the day :)

I think for me, I learned a loooot about Zbrush sculpting (mainly how cool is noise maker), then Topogun 2, then baking and smoothing groups from 3Dsmax to xnormal, and now fooling around with Ddo, but I still need to learn how to properly pack uvs... cause I got a lot of empty spaces in the texture...
    I'll be making the weapon and coat now, and then simulate the cloth fall on 3Dsmax, and then create a sort of rocky base to make it nicer to showcase on the portfolio :)

Anyhow, this was an extremely productive challenge for me! Thanks, people!

ch_sept2014_11.jpg
    ch_sept2014_12.jpg
    ch_sept2014_13.jpg
  • devingeesr
    Offline / Send Message
    Update:
    zilian_10.jpg
    zilian_11.jpg
    zilian_12.jpg
    No lowploy yet lets see if I can get it done by the end of the day. It's been a ruff month for me this go round but I learned a lot.
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    @lukazguzman Yeah, you can keep posting in this thread or start a new one yourself, that is fine. I'm gonna continue in this thread though. I wish you have more time to spend on her face. To match the concept art. Really digging your armors !!

@devingeesr Are those fiberhairs ?? Danggg, my PC would explode if I attempt that !! Are you gonna subdiv his face one more time for microdetails ? Looks a little blurry there.

Done all lowpoly and uv mapping.... All EXCEPT the braids !!! >_<"
    I will see if I will keep them or not.
    DLIpVxU.jpg
  • devingeesr
    Offline / Send Message
    @PyrZern lol yup fibermesh for the hair. My poly count is 30.549 Mil right now crazy. yeah I'm going to add more detail to the face I also have to make his shoes and hands.
  • Fefs
    Offline / Send Message
    Fefs polycounter lvl 3
    @lukazguzman Yeah, it's good know what have changed because it is a form to animate you work harder next time to see much more progress ^^

The outfit is very cool and the texture too, but I agree with PyrZern you have done a great job here, but left the face so strange....if you continue with this model please concentrate in this for now

@devingeesr It's strange (looks like a magneto werewolf O.o) and cool in the same time....try to smooth a little to look more like a normal human hair

@PyrZern The braids are tricky if you want that to be perfect...but don't give up!

And now I finnaly finish!....next step is prepair to animate, I'm gonna continue in this thread too, I want to see this model working perfect in engine (and now I'm tempted to do the blue cat next month too XD)

10qjm9x.jpg
  • lukazguzman
    Offline / Send Message
    @pyrzern @fefs wow, thanks for your words, guys, and thanks for suggesting about the face.. if it was me, I would have just moved on and leave it as is (of course I still need to texture eyebrows, eyes, lips, etc.), but I guess I can make the face details more slick? Smaller and thinner nose, perhaps, to make her a more feminine look as in the concept? What do you think?

@fefs I like that last detail you gave the model with those planes of blue mana emanating from the robes :)

@pyrzern wow, that's a pretty fast and clean uv unwrapping!
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Devin - you actually sculpted that head? The likeness is awesome!