Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Big Ass Venezia Environment

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
BasicallyNormal polycounter lvl 7
<<< CURRENT PROGRESS >>>

Ksq5ejD.jpg

It's that time again, making another environment this time in UE4. The first shot follows the concept more or less but I wanted to expand past it.

Concept by John Wallin Liberto
ZZPMId3.jpg

Progress on the blockout
3uluxtb.jpg
SE1Zucm.jpg
x9xJDRw.jpg

Started work on the shader, all these walls use the same master material and textures
X09eODV.jpg

Replies

• heboltz3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9
    So, here's the thread.

Subscribing, stoked to see progress on this. Great start so far.
  • Mistry10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mistry10 polycounter lvl 8
    Good block out.
    Cant wait to see more :)
  • Lucas Annunziata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucas Annunziata polycounter lvl 13
    Awesome start. Watch for tiling in your textures though. If I look closely, I can see the areas of the 2x2 tiling texture where it looks like you've clone stamped the texture. It's a lot more apparent on the horizontal axis.

The blockout looks really solid though, and I;m excited to see you progress with this
  • BasicallyNormal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, sorry I've been so quiet for the past few weeks. Here's some progress on the environment. I'll try to update this MUCH more frequently from now on now that senior capstone is over.

Some newer shots
    ulmzdPe.jpg
    RjXjoVL.jpg

Been working on material functionality too for the main wall material too.
    TGRFLh5.jpg

Puddles and canal water.
    fLuKKAC.jpg
    5hxYvGf.jpg

And here's a little prop.
    YycWVYp.jpg
  • Youngy798
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Youngy798 polycounter lvl 4
    Liking the metal fence :D
  • Cay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cay polycounter lvl 5
    buildings look really blocky right now, 90° angles and such.. it would probably be a good idea to bevel them, but I'm pretty sure this is not the last iteration yet
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    It looks like you're off to a great start. GL!!
  • urgaffel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    urgaffel polycounter lvl 17
    Not sure if you have it alread or are planning to add it later but the stucco needs to have a thickness where you have exposed brick. At the moment it looks really flat which makes me think you haven't added the normalmaps yet. Most visible in the third shot.

Looks like a cool environment, it will be fun to see the progress
  • BasicallyNormal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback guys! Here's some more progress. Still have to do things like the roofs and bridge, then I'll be getting into actually destroying these buildings :)

urgaffel Added those normal maps!

Cay I added a small bevel to the buildings but I'll probably have to do more to break up the edges.

Let me know if this too dark or anything too, I've been switching around on 3 monitors with different settings and I don't know what brightness is normal anymore :poly105:

JuEEhVT.jpg
  • DanielR17
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DanielR17 polycounter lvl 7
    Hi Ryan,

Loving where this is going. It's not too dark on my monitor, it seems well exposed. I'll definitely check your progress.
  • The Lone Penguin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Lone Penguin polycounter lvl 9
    This is really coming together! Huge improvement over your last scene too (not like it was bad). I do think you should take a solid day and work out a better lighting solution than what you have now. I know you still have a handful of stuff to do but it will really help presentation as you continue working. Also it's a pretty important step. Really looking forward to seeing more progress.
  • BasicallyNormal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DanielR17 That's good to hear, I made the scene a bit brighter just to increase the value range.

The Lone Penguin Made a big lighting pass, I still think it needs a bit of work, but I think it's got a lot more of a direction now.

Thanks for all the feedback so far everyone, it's a huge help. Here's another update, replaced those placeholder assets and filled out the main building on the right. Still have some props to texture and colors to tweak.

71CKnEf.jpg
  • BasicallyNormal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished the last of the props, but totally open to suggestions! Playing around with camera angles, and the idea of a bell tower behind the buildings.

fdRiWbQ.jpg
    GAeAhUH.jpg
    2ylJMh9.jpg
  • Lucas Annunziata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maaan get a little bit of cloudy wisps into that sky! Possibly desaturate the sky a bit as well, I find my eyes being immediately drawn to the big solid blue holes in your composition rather than looking at these great assets.
  • BasicallyNormal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucas Annunziata Perfect timing because I actually just did that! Let me know if it's still too intense.

Ksq5ejD.jpg
  • Lucas Annunziata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oooooyeaaah! Maybe try a bit more of a gradient of blue in the sky? I took the liberty of adjusting some things in here that you can do with post processing etc.

tKkgY5z.jpg

I toned down the blues a bit, warmed up the yellows, then added a teeny bit more contrast.

If you're hellbent on having those lightshafts in the scene, maybe play with the bloom size of the sun and get some dust particles in here. Do you have any fog? Even just a little bit will help ground the scene a bit more.

Overall this is looking pretty great duder. Keep it up!
  • BasicallyNormal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Added a bunch of little things (and some big ones) to polish to up the scene, and I think I'm ready to call this one done!

@Lucas Annunziata Thanks for the advice dude! I changed the colors around some and added a dust effect near the light shafts :)

FLpfrZB.jpg

2W3tUKT.jpg

DJQMOiP.jpg

nkNtLqa.jpg
  • Mistry10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mistry10 polycounter lvl 8
    Great work man !

only suggestion i can advice is to increase the brightness/intensity of your direct light.
    It'll create a stronger contrast in the overall image.

But overall, again great work !
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    looks fantastic! Only things that I would say may help is to match the post processing to the concept a bit more as your final images lack a bit of atmosphere and mood, the sky should be brighter, especially bleeding away from the sun location! :)