Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

dzibarik's general improvement thread

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
dzibarik polycounter lvl 10
So I've been learning how to model stuff in my free time for a year and a half and now I'm approaching to the point where I have to decide which road to take. Frankly speaking it has already been decided, I'm just constantly narrowing it down to hold a focus on things. Currently I want to be an environment/prop artist but I also like modelling really complex objects like cars so I would definitely do vehicles/weapons and stuff like that. I decided not to pursue character modelling for the time being but I'm still interested in doing this down the road in a few years or so.

Anyway up untilnow I was focused mainly on making high-poly geo and UVs without working on materials even though I made some studies. I also did some baking and low poly for my last project and it taught me that you have to PLAN AHEAD while making high poly or don't even bother with making art for games. Now my main priorities are:

1)Speed up my modelling workflow and improve shapes in general.
2)Work on materials extensively.
3)Do some normal maps.

Here's some stuff I did:

xN2ektk.jpg

ezqNFPW.jpg

N70AMVC.jpg

z5qCmiY.jpg

3gqKBer.jpg

lM2G5EB.jpg

q4LcvJw.jpg

OasoiEh.jpg

W9eTWo0.jpg

as you see nothing game related so far even though the car was intended to be a game-ready model but some geo decisions I made early on proved to be bad for normal maps and making a good low poly. So last week I've decided to finish the car as high poly only and I'll be able to do it only in November, I think.

My current project is this one - http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=139089. I'm still doing my research on weapons and helmets.

Any comments/general advice will be appreciated