Home Technical Talk

Modo FBX Sizing export issue

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Fogbrain polycounter lvl 5
I have an issue where Modo exports FBX files like 10 times bigger as opposed to OBJ files which export out the same size I create my models in Modo.

I have no idea how to fix this issue, and when I preview the mesh in something like Unreal 4 or Maya, it does turn out 10 times bigger than the mesh originally is in Modo.

If you guys have any idea how to fix this, it'd be awesome.

Replies

• dzibarik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dzibarik polycounter lvl 10
    it's a known issue (for ages I think) and I think people "fix" it by scaling model in Modo. I fixed it by another method but I haven't imported anything in UE4, so it may not work.

I had this problem when I imported my FBX files in 3ds Max but I fixed it by setting system units in Max to mm and then doing the same in Modo. After that I export it in FBX 2013 and when I open it in Max I set units to mm instead of automatic scaling (in import options). STILL there is an issue because Max still thinks that the scale of a model is 1000% even though the size is right. There is a simple fix for that - reset Xform and collapse the stack.

But what if you don't have 3ds Max or you are limited by student's edition? Then I guess you can use Blender for rescaling the model.

But I think there must be simplier way for that, I just haven't researched it properly yet.
  • dzibarik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dzibarik polycounter lvl 10
    heh, I found a solution for you but I haven't checked it myself yet

http://community.thefoundry.co.uk/discussion/post.aspx?f=83&t=90206&p=810632
  • Fogbrain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That might be it, I do have modo set to game units, set at 1 meter per unit, and I guess this correlates to Unity only. So if I set it to metric > centimeters, it may just export FBX's out as that sizing format. I'll have to check back when I get back to modo and see.
  • repete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    I made that power tool for my own sanity as I don't like zooming for scale :poly121:

It locks modos grid to the power of 2 at which you set via the icons (this is the way I like to work). So that means you have to set UE4's grid to power of 2 also.

Draw out for instance a 128x128x128 box and it is the same in UE4 after export. If your doing any modular stuff in UE4 this simplifies the process as everything snaps perfectly to the UE4 grid.
  • Fogbrain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Repete, how do you activate the power tool? I press F1 but it just gives me info on everything.
  • repete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    Goto System / Form Editor and find the power tool form, right click on it and assign what ever key you want to use.
    Fogbrain wrote: »
    Hey Repete, how do you activate the power tool? I press F1 but it just gives me info on everything.
  • Samuel_D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Repete, thanks for your script, very useful.
    I have a noob question : How to set a limit to the grid ? I don't want a limitless grid. Hope you can help me,
    Cheers,
    Samuel.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bear in mind, the power of two grid is legacy. We're using the decimal grid moving forward!
  • jalay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jalay polycounter lvl 7
    repete wrote: »
    I made that power tool for my own sanity as I don't like zooming for scale :poly121:

It locks modos grid to the power of 2 at which you set via the icons (this is the way I like to work). So that means you have to set UE4's grid to power of 2 also.

Draw out for instance a 128x128x128 box and it is the same in UE4 after export. If your doing any modular stuff in UE4 this simplifies the process as everything snaps perfectly to the UE4 grid.

A small tutorial using your tool like how to export to UE4 would be really helpful. Thank you.