Home General Discussion

Help choosing a portable computer

Hello,

I'm currently looking for a laptop or portable solution to be able to work on my projects at school. I have a more than decent PC at home and use it to get my work done and render my projects, but my laptop is getting old and isn't very useful during classes because it runs out of batteries very quick and heat up really bad.

So basically what i need is a laptop or tablet (doubt it can handle the softwares though) that is pretty lightweight, not over 1000$, and be able to work on photoshop, solidworks and zbrush (mainly for under 1M points models, just for sketching really). I won't be doing renders and I dont play games either. I use a wacom tablet but would love to have a touchscreen that works well with a wacom pen or something similar.

What do you guys use, or what would you suggest?

Replies

• illo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    surface pro has gotten some pretty nice reviews for its drawing interface, has a high resolution screen for its size. The asus transformer book also seems pretty decent, longer battery, smaller HD and lower res screen.
  • pascal3112
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Surface pro 3 seems quite the deal, do you think the i5/4gb ram version would be enough to run zbrush decently?
  • iadagraca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iadagraca polycounter lvl 5
    I second everyone else about the surface pro.

I personally own a vivotab note 8 ad i love it but its only used for basic work.

I plan to get a surface pro in due time, i think you can get a surface pro 2/3 for under $1000 now.

and yeah i think 4gb of ram should be acceptable for preliminary work, not sure how far you would get for final work.

I'd also recommend this site for more info on programs for the surface pro.
  • pascal3112
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually the pro 3 128gb is 900$ right now for students! I'm seriously considering buying one.

Also, thanks for the site! I've also found that the pro 3 works with solidworks as well, which is super exciting for me because it didn't work very well with my xps 1640 (video card issue i think).

Making solidworks parts anywhere i go?

Sign me up.