Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Hovercraft

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Savannakhet polycounter lvl 11
TL;DR Version: This is the latest screengrab of my scene:

tumblr_ndk9s5tpd21tdmr7bo1_1280.png

So recently I got the idea to model a hovercraft.

I've decided to model one of the mid-size AP1-88 passenger craft that ply the Solent between Southsea and Ryde in southern England, I don't have any concept, so here is a reference photo:

Freedom%2090.jpg

And here is a video of one of them taking off, I like how the cushion inflates and it slides down the slipway on its side. (I don't intend to rig and animate the cushion though)

http://www.youtube.com/watch/?v=krHwp4DOrw4

I want my hovercraft to be low poly, brightly coloured and stylised. It will look used and battered, but not dirty. It will eventually sit on a slipway and be surrounded on two sides by shop fronts, similar-ish to this image, but more contained.

Hovertravel_fleet_at_Ryde.JPG

The whole scene have a maximum of 10k triangles and the textures will be atlased onto a 2048 square.

Anyway, this is what I've got so far. It's 4038 triangles and covered by a single 1024 diff map, which is pretty basic at the moment (especially around the cushion)

JZWSrJ0.jpg

S7rj3Ox.jpg

I showed the image to a friend who suggested that to make it look more stylised I should exaggerate the smaller features, make the railings thicker etc. so I've made this paintover as rough idea as to where to go next.

hDtt9MC.jpg

Any more thoughts/crits/suggestions?

Replies

• Savannakhet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick WIP screengrab

Q9KSWA9.jpg
  • AlexRodriguez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexRodriguez polycounter lvl 6
    Savannakhet: Your ref showing but your wip images arent

*Edit: Now there working*
  • billymcguffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    billymcguffin polycounter lvl 11
    I can see the images fine.

Looks cool, but the details on the pillow are a bit undefined.
  • Carabiner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Carabiner greentooth
    I think your friend's suggestions are a great starting point for pushing the style! This is looking really neat so far.

I agree with billy above -- can you spare a few polys to add some dimension to the cushion? Also, I'm a bit confused as to what the cushion details are -- I get the ones that are just stylized stitches, but I don't understand what the ones are that appear to be holes?
  • Suba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Suba polycounter lvl 5
    I think lights and shadows are a little too contrasted.
    But it looks really nice ! Keep going.
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You might want to vary the shade of the individual sections of the skirt. In the reference photo, you can see that some sections are a light gray than others.

Assuming the engines are always running, the two props can be replaced by a pair of planes with an alpha prop disc texture.
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    I see what you're going for with the big and exaggerated stitching, but IMO it's TOO big right now. Looking at the scale of the rest of the boat, some of the stitches (and gaps between them) are nearly person-sized.

Looking good though
  • Savannakhet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the advice guys!
    Carabiner wrote: »
    can you spare a few polys to add some dimension to the cushion?

I can! I've reduced the poly count down to 2701 triangles and modeled a few of the stitches.
    Carabiner wrote: »
    I'm a bit confused as to what the cushion details are -- I get the ones that are just stylized stitches, but I don't understand what the ones are that appear to be holes?

They were actually little studs that stick out the cushion. I don't know what purpose they serve on the actual vehicle though, either way they're gone from the texture sheet now.

Latest WiP pics

rXYufxP.jpg
    tQ5uLz4.jpg
  • FemCharles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FemCharles greentooth
    fixes.jpg

Ok done a bit of a paintover.

here are some points

1) shine on cushion rubber section is too blobby. Use a gradient.
    2)stitches are too fat. Due to highlights/shadows
    3)removed modeled stitches, just do that in the texture
    4)Too many stitches.
    5)Shines on the pipes etc are to sharp, more soft. Also noticed your highlights go over the shadows, erase them out.
    6) shine on some of the edges are way to white.
    7) add some gradients to the poles.
    8)pipes at the back need texture to be blended. Looks like an ao bake with hard edges on.
    9) Bolts on the red section can be more defined.

Ill add a screenshot with the number pointing to the areas i mean. That be easier! Good job though!
  • FemCharles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FemCharles greentooth
    Here added a paintover with the numbers that match up to my points.

I also feel it might be too contrasted at the moment but i wouldn't worry about that until texture if more final.

numbered.jpg
  • Savannakhet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Q0cVpJp.jpg

Ok, I think I've got all of the points covered and I've changed the base colour from white to a light blue and turned down the AO multiply-layer from 100 to 90 per cent visibility, which should hopefully make it less contrasty
  • FemCharles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FemCharles greentooth
    Yeah i think that looks a lot better. Don't forget to add a touch of colour to your AO!

The only other things that stand out to me is the painted in lighting from the lights. Looks too red, should be more yellow. Also the end of blue pipes, i don't think they need the chips at the end. Other than that good job!
  • shaka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shaka polycounter lvl 7
    To be honest, i much prefer the first wip you posted. Now, with the extra detail, it seems out of scale. When you take the windows and doors into account, the sutures on the rubber, patches, and screws around the ship, are giant, so they work only if the model will be used in a stylized RTS type of game.Also, the red light bleeds too much on that antenna so it looks more like paint now.

The main issue i think it's all the white that shades every color. That's why i like the first image better. The blues remained blue, and the red was red.

Anyway, great work overall, and i love that you took feedback from the forum.
  • Savannakhet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FemCharles wrote: »
    Yeah i think that looks a lot better. Don't forget to add a touch of colour to your AO!

The only other things that stand out to me is the painted in lighting from the lights. Looks too red, should be more yellow.
    shaka wrote: »
    To be honest, i much prefer the first wip you posted. Now, with the extra detail, it seems out of scale. When you take the windows and doors into account, the sutures on the rubber, patches, and screws around the ship, are giant, so they work only if the model will be used in a stylized RTS type of game.Also, the red light bleeds too much on that antenna so it looks more like paint now.

The main issue i think it's all the white that shades every color. That's why i like the first image better. The blues remained blue, and the red was red.

Anyway, great work overall, and i love that you took feedback from the forum.

Thanks, i'll look at these issues tonight. With regards to the scale I envisioned the Hovercraft sat at on a slipway and the final camera angle being slightly pulled out, which is why I exaggerated the size of the stitches and bolts.

I want the final thing to be a little isometric diorama, Similar to Marie Lazar's lovely marketplace piece:

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125175

I was on a train for a few hours at the weekend so I messed around with a couple of ideas for what the quay could look like:

S3NBboT.jpg

or maybe

9CAhs09.jpg

or even

FjSFPTP.jpg

(I appreciate the scale is off on the three above pictures)

As before I don't have any concept, but a couple of interesting reference photos as a starting point:

1) This... cinema? in Surabaya, which can pass for a train station/ferry terminal.

I53OtVn.jpg

2) These adorable vintage trains that serve the suburbs of Izumo on the north coast of Honshu.

r4h9naU.jpg
  • Savannakhet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shaka wrote: »

I've made the blue darker, the background colour less grey and removed some of the white edge overlay, I reckon this should give it back some definition.

n0KTRNg.jpg
  • Savannakhet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The first background building blocked out:

(I'm going to do a paint over because it looks a bit busy at the moment)

gAJwNIC.jpg
  • Savannakhet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A quick WiP: paintover and subsequent modifications
    ruFyE3T.jpg

V8JvdOt.jpg
  • Savannakhet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Latest WIP of buildings in the Hoverport (is that a word?)

aXHtgio.jpg

Some sort of giant fish on building on the right will look good...

6DMiyhL.jpg
  • Savannakhet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Latest paintover of where I want to take the scene next and a WIP of what the scene looks like presently:

VeN8PRe.jpg

37GOOs9.jpg
  • Savannakhet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Latest WIP shot:

8ICnThk.jpg

(Jebus, Imgur really crunches images down)

Lighting next. (I've decided against doing another railway building)
  • KyleJensen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KyleJensen polycounter lvl 12
    Dang. How did I miss this thread? This scene is coming along really nicely. Keep it up! :)
  • pixelpatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    Lovely. No crits from me, you made that look easy.

Nevermind I take that back....the transition from the sand to the tiles looks a bit like cake batter and not sand. Mmmmm now I want cake, thanks a lot.

Still loving this though.
  • Savannakhet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nevermind I take that back....the transition from the sand to the tiles looks a bit like cake batter and not sand. Mmmmm now I want cake, thanks a lot.

Twist in the tale: the whole scene is a topping on a delicious Victoria sponge.

But Serially,

tumblr_ndigguaY6C1tdmr7bo1_1280.png
  • KyleJensen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KyleJensen polycounter lvl 12
    I think you should add a bit of a sand buildup near the stairs leading down to the tiles + sand. Also you could add some sand buildup around the base of the wall near the right side of the hovercraft. It will help break up that straight edge.
  • foreverlost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really love the style of this scene. I have a random (and easy to implement bit of feedback) - have mercy on the starfish! He could be geo - right now he's sorta flat on the sand. OK I lied, I have a bit more feedback. :poly124: Speaking of the sand, it's a bit flat.

The waves on the "Hover" sign could use a few more edge loops to round it out. Some areas have a higher poly res to make them rounder (like the door with "Ice Cream", the edges of the train, etc) so the jagged quality of the waves doesn't entirely match.

Anyway, I'd play this in a heartbeat. Thank you for sharing!
  • Fenyce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenyce polycounter lvl 11
    really lovely!
  • Savannakhet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Starfish, sand build up and more edge loops on the waves:

tumblr_ndk9s5tpd21tdmr7bo2_1280.png

tumblr_ndk9s5tpd21tdmr7bo3_1280.png
  • Iciban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Iciban polycounter lvl 10
    O______O

how did i miss this! love the colours! Is this just pure diffuse?
  • Sweetangel0467
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sweetangel0467 polycounter lvl 10
    I'd love to see some textures of this. How did you go about that AO?
    Do you have any tips/tricks on how you paint those sharp highlights on the edges? I've been thinking of just taking the UV-unwrap but it doesn't always work out that well.. maybe you have a quick process of doing these?

I totally love this btw, but I already said that on the handpainted thread. :)
  • felipealves
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    felipealves polycounter lvl 10
    Awesome style!

Love that art deco feel.

Do you use soft brushes for this kind of paintings?
  • Savannakhet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Iciban wrote: »
    O______O

how did i miss this! love the colours! Is this just pure diffuse?

Thanks! It is just diffuse, with lights/shadows cast in Marmoset.
    Awesome style!

Do you use soft brushes for this kind of paintings?

No, just the standard rounded-corner square brush with flow and opacity set down to about 40%
    I'd love to see some textures of this. How did you go about that AO?

Do you have any tips/tricks on how you paint those sharp highlights on the edges? I've been thinking of just taking the UV-unwrap but it doesn't always work out that well.. maybe you have a quick process of doing these?

The AO was baked in 3ds Max, Hue/Sat adjusted in PS and multiplied over the top of the painted texture with 85% visibility.

The white edges were made with the Line tool (layer set to soft light) - I literally trace round the edges of the UV-unwrap. It's quite time consuming, but the result is much cleaner than using the UV-unwrap itself.
  • Sweetangel0467
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sweetangel0467 polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks for that :thumbup: